Twin F-100 Super Sabre Projects - Two Approaches to One Great Plane!

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Awesome work Damo! The F-100 looks great in the air! Some Vietnam Camo paint would look add that final touch of awesome
Great footage :) I will start mine right after you publish your plans. Since you use 12 sides to your fuselage I think the 90mm will need your plans. I will still make Sheriff's at 70MM. Thanks to all of you. It is helping me understand the bends creases needed for my F-106.
Will be looking forward to your 106 build!

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Awesome work Damo! The F-100 looks great in the air! Some Vietnam Camo paint would look add that final touch of awesome

Will be looking forward to your 106 build!

Agreed - might try and get some paint on her soon.

Flew her twice today, both times balanced on the 8.5 inch mark and I would say that she is probably still a little nose heavy. I will take back something I said earlier about her not being really floaty - man, when balanced at 8.5 inches she is really really floaty. No bad tendencies that I could discern - gentle stalls leading to dropped nose. Could fly her quite slowly without any trouble. Only thing that bugged me a little today was the lack of power. This will be helped by building a slightly smaller version that fits tight around the EDF in the rear, but air in-flow is still going to be a problem.

All in all, very happy with her.

jaredstrees

Looking good Sir, And I will try and get you some more history soon. We are moving soon on top of everything else and life has just been crazy. I'm looking forward you your final version. Looks like my Viggen's powerplant is going to need to be removed very soon!

Sheriff, Sounds like you are moving forward with great success! My hats off to you. Don't mind the glare :) As far as the inlet flow goes, all Flyfly guys that did not overpower their bird used the NACA like hole to improve air flow - thus improve thrust, Note to all, NACA ducts with a back plate are really efficient when done properly. But, what we need with a RC EDF is a "suck hole" no offense :) If you take the back plate off, you have a very nice suck hole. still looks like a NACA duct, but is really a nice hole that looks like a NACA duct. The effect is Larger hole - with very little downside for Mach speeds. For an EDF the hole size (volume of air) is more important than the drag characteristics. Can't wait for Damo's plans.

Damo -This is the same reason I told you that my FlyFly used a "NACA Like" hole. So Damo, If you want to, pop the back plate off your Ver 1 plane and let me know if if it helps?

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Sheriff, Sounds like you are moving forward with great success! My hats off to you. Don't mind the glare :) As far as the inlet flow goes, all Flyfly guys that did not overpower their bird used the NACA like hole to improve air flow - thus improve thrust, Note to all, NACA ducts with a back plate are really efficient when done properly. But, what we need with a RC EDF is a "suck hole" no offense :) If you take the back plate off, you have a very nice suck hole. still looks like a NACA duct, but is really a nice hole that looks like a NACA duct. The effect is Larger hole - with very little downside for Mach speeds. For an EDF the hole size (volume of air) is more important than the drag characteristics. Can't wait for Damo's plans.

Damo -This is the same reason I told you that my FlyFly used a "NACA Like" hole. So Damo, If you want to, pop the back plate off your Ver 1 plane and let me know if if it helps?

What? After all the trouble I went to in designing and building a proper NACA duct so as not to offend ex-JPL folk now your saying I could have just cut a hole? ;)

Sounds like a plan. I'm gonna take the tail off this week to split the HS internally and shove the EDF rearward. It will also give me a chance to remove some material from the TE of the wing which is interfering with air coming in through the NACA duct (soon to be a NACA hole:)). I probably won't remove all of the duct floor 'cos that would be a pretty big gap structurally in the bottom of the plane. Will report back later in the week but not sure when I'll get a chance to fly it again as the weather is turning wet again.

Sheriff

Attachments

• F100-C1.svg
    34.3 KB · Views: 0
  • F100-C2.svg
    49.1 KB · Views: 0
  • F100-C3.svg
    87.3 KB · Views: 0
  • F-100-C1.pdf
    6.3 KB · Views: 0
  • F-100-C2.pdf
    7.3 KB · Views: 0
  • F-100-C3.pdf
    9.8 KB · Views: 0

Michael9865

Elite member
Guillaume,
Thank you for the updates. I see from the 3D model how the center of the wing is shaped with vertical support in the center, however I am not seeing a spar to shape the top wing skin for airfoil, or is it a KFm airfoil? Do you have photos to show how the wing gets an airfoil shape?

Sheriff

You are right Michael, I added a layer to the underside of the wing for strenght making it a KFm-5A airfoil. So there is no spar to install.

When constructing the wing, first join both halves, then bevel both side of the score line at the leading edge. Fold the underside over the top wing but apply glue only in front of the center score line.
Slide/insert the wing into fuselage and glue along the slot. Then bend the wing along the center score line until the corners aline (see pictures). Hot glue the back of the wing at the root to hold it in place.
Only then, should you apply glue under the wing, were the 2 layers meet, behind the center score line.
(see the picture for my sentence to make sense..)

20190226_065953.jpg 20190226_070019.jpg

Au revoir
Guillaume

Last edited:
You are right Michael, I added a layer to the underside of the wing for strenght making it a KFm-5A airfoil. So there is no spar to install.

When constructing the wing, first join both halves, then bevel both side of the score line at the leading edge. Fold the underside over the top wing but apply glue only in front of the center score line.
Slide/insert the wing into fuselage and glue along the slot. Then bend the wing along the center score line until the corners aline (see pictures). Hot glue the back of the wing at the root to hold it in place.
Only then, should you apply glue under the wing, were the 2 layers meet, behind the center score line.
(see the picture for my sentence to make sense..)

View attachment 125064 View attachment 125065

Au revoir
Guillaume

Sheriff: Have not started to build the first plans, So I moved to Version 2 and have the printed out at 137%. Gets me to a 40 inch WS, or 90mm EDF. I will make a few pieces and see if I go to 64 or 70mm EDF. Thank you, very much! I still am trying to get some COKE Bottle shape into my F-106. I am still very much a work in progress. I like my wing shape and front curl. Fuselage is still a long way to go. PS I will delete the images of the 106 is you want to keep this thread F-100 only. Cheers.

Attachments

• f106 wing spar shape.JPG
    f106 wing spar shape.JPG
    598.2 KB · Views: 0
  • f106 front wing curl.JPG
    f106 front wing curl.JPG
    287.8 KB · Views: 0

Sheriff

Lynn Essman, may I suggest a cheat for your delta wing design?
To help lift the nose, you could had transparent canard, like in the commercial RC X_Wing. As for the Long-EZ, the canard will give much better stall caracteristics to your delta wing. give 4-5 degrees angle of attack in relation to the main wing.
But if you are looking for maximum top-speed, forget I said anything.

Also, for the 137% prints, don't forget to enlarge slightly the section of the wing inside the fuselage to make sure it still fits snug inside the removable nose/cockpit. Same for the vertical support below the wing, and the bulkhead holding your EDF.

au revoir
Guillaume

Attachments

• 81Tyo6dvMnL._SL1500_.jpg
    81Tyo6dvMnL._SL1500_.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 0

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Started on the modifications primarily to reposition the EDF to make balancing easier.

Removed the tail section and the EDF....

DSC_0023.JPG DSC_0024.JPG

I am going to replace the EDF with a different unit. The replacement is what I call my $5 special (bought it used out of a box of EDFs at a swap meet). It is not as powerful as the one its replacing (max thrust is about 1100 grams compared to the Vitek at 1300 grams - both measured on the thrust stand with no thrust tube) but I need the other one for a new project that will probably need as much thrust as I can get. This unit should be fine to fly the F-100

DSC_0025.JPG

You can see where I had the velcro to hold the 4S battery originally, practically under the wing. I pulled it forward to under the canopy and installed a 4S so I could check how far back I can push the EDF and still get it to balance.

DSC_0026.JPG DSC_0027.JPG

Basically, I can push the EDF all the way back in the tail and still balance her easily. I even removed the rear ring and tacked the EDF into place right at the end of the tail and balance was not a problem.

DSC_0028.JPG DSC_0029.JPG

Although I would happily just glue the EDF in here I will push it back a little so that I can add a thrust tube, probably 4 inches or so. Need to work up the tube and do some testing before the install.

Later....

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Alright it's time I start contributing to this thread. I didn't get a lot of work done until just last week, unfortunately a serious matter came up in my family that needed to be addressed, so that took my mind and time off the project through most of February.

That aside, here is version one I took a bit of time to come up with making the foamboard curves in a 2D program that would achieve consistent results and I'm quite happy with what I've got!!
IMG_1275.JPG

I think I'm going to either make a larger bird dimension wise or just make it taller because I have little to no room for a battery, so I decided to neglect test fitting the canopy and nose cone until I know what my dimensions are going to be.

Sheriff, I blew up your plans to 137%and found that the EDF bulkheads where almost and exact match for a 90mm EDF!!! so I may use my old FlyFly eight blade EDF in a 90mm first. See attached pics.

DamoRC, I will be doing the same for your plans as soon as you post your plans. :) It's a Win-Win day!

Attachments

• IMG_0869.JPG
    IMG_0869.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0856.JPG
    IMG_0856.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 0

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Sheriff, I blew up your plans to 137%and found that the EDF bulkheads where almost and exact match for a 90mm EDF!!! so I may use my old FlyFly eight blade EDF in a 90mm first. See attached pics.

DamoRC, I will be doing the same for your plans as soon as you post your plans. :) It's a Win-Win day!

Cool. What's the OD of you 90mm fan case?

Sheriff

Lynn,
Once you give us the outside diameter of your EDF, I could insert it in my 3D model and calculate how far back it could be moved to help you balance the plane with the battery closer to the removable nose.
Let me know if that could help.

au revoir

Lynn,
Once you give us the outside diameter of your EDF, I could insert it in my 3D model and calculate how far back it could be moved to help you balance the plane with the battery closer to the removable nose.
Let me know if that could help.

au revoir
Sheriff, My EDF unit is 93mm D by 62mm long. EDF weight is 112 grams and the motor is about 250 grams so about 362 grams total.