Twin F-100 Super Sabre Projects - Two Approaches to One Great Plane!

Sheriff, No problem I don't have any urgent timetable in mind. I have the drawing papers printed out and the two wing panels/sheets taped together. Tomorrow I will probably finish the third sheet and try to fit and cut "some" foam board. :) Austin Texas is going to have a very nice day tomorrow which means that I will try to hit the lawn :( Yes it is getting that time of year. Looks really big!

Attachments

• IMG_0872.JPG
    IMG_0872.JPG
    311.1 KB · Views: 0

Sheriff

@Lynn Essman; Wow! it feels really special to see the plans I worked on layed out on someone else's floor.

137% scale: I think you will need to double the thickness of the horizontal stabilizer for strenght. Do you want me to update that part of the plan and send you an updated version of the H-stab ?

Yesterday, I fitted your EDF to my 3D model and found out you will be able to move it somewhere in the middle of the last section of the fuselage. I am not at home this week-end but you will get a precise position and a new bulkhead to center and support the EDF early next week. (I need to give myself deadlines or else, I won't move at all :) )

au revoir
Guillaume

@Lynn Essman; Wow! it feels really special to see the plans I worked on layed out on someone else's floor.

137% scale: I think you will need to double the thickness of the horizontal stabilizer for strenght. Do you want me to update that part of the plan and send you an updated version of the H-stab ?

Yesterday, I fitted your EDF to my 3D model and found out you will be able to move it somewhere in the middle of the last section of the fuselage. I am not at home this week-end but you will get a precise position and a new bulkhead to center and support the EDF early next week. (I need to give myself deadlines or else, I won't move at all :) )

au revoir
Guillaume

Sheriff, Thank you again. I think you are on the right path. I was thinking of adding a little shape to all of the tail feathers, since I the plan will be a little larger and heavier. I also am toying with the idea of a carbon shaft for the elevators?? A spare in the main wings.

I always start with the idea that I will build straight to the plan, then my system engineering brain starts to add to the original concept. A longtime failing of mine. Already at 137%, then 90mm elf, then an all moving tail, then landing gear, then real pilot, real everything-------- ops!!! Too much thinking again.

Again, we still have to see DamoRC's plans. Maybe, with his we can end up with a hybrid design @ 1,357% that we can actually sell to the Air Forces around the world! ---ops I go too far :)-{-< Man I have got to lay off the coffee!

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Sheriff, Thank you again. I think you are on the right path. I was thinking of adding a little shape to all of the tail feathers, since I the plan will be a little larger and heavier. I also am toying with the idea of a carbon shaft for the elevators?? A spare in the main wings.

I always start with the idea that I will build straight to the plan, then my system engineering brain starts to add to the original concept. A longtime failing of mine. Already at 137%, then 90mm elf, then an all moving tail, then landing gear, then real pilot, real everything-------- ops!!! Too much thinking again.

Again, we still have to see DamoRC's plans. Maybe, with his we can end up with a hybrid design @ 1,357% that we can actually sell to the Air Forces around the world! ---ops I go too far :)-{-< Man I have got to lay off the coffee!

Sorry - been a bit distracted with other stuff. I finished the 70mm re-position and modifications to the inlet - will post pictures later. Beyond that, and not having test flown it since the mods, I think she is ready to go. I'll work on colorizing and formatting the plans for the current size with a 70mm and 90mm EDF mount and post them in the next day or so.

Sorry - been a bit distracted with other stuff. I finished the 70mm re-position and modifications to the inlet - will post pictures later. Beyond that, and not having test flown it since the mods, I think she is ready to go. I'll work on colorizing and formatting the plans for the current size with a 70mm and 90mm EDF mount and post them in the next day or so.
DamoRC,
Many thanks, I am going to place a top nose strip on Sheriff's plan as you have on your design. I think it adds to the authentic look of the 100.

Sheriff

@Lynn Essman,
Here is the custom bulkhead for your EDF. The screenshot shows that you need to be places it 14.6cm from the front of the section.
Lets me know how it fits..

Au revoir
Guillaume

Attachments

• F-137-EDF.PNG
    F-137-EDF.PNG
    16.3 KB · Views: 0
  • F-137-EDF.pdf
    4.8 KB · Views: 0
@Lynn Essman,
Here is the custom bulkhead for your EDF. The screenshot shows that you need to be places it 14.6cm from the front of the section.
Lets me know how it fits..

Au revoir
Guillaume
Thank you Sheriff, I have them, but currently no time to check? It looks very good though. I will have to cut out and form that section first. I did cut out your other bulk head and used my EDF shell to make the pattern for the EDF. It looks like a tight, but great fit.

Attachments

• IMG_0875.JPG
    IMG_0875.JPG
    568.6 KB · Views: 0
Also I do not have your standard placement for this set of bulkheads? Do you recall what the center or front, or back should be?

Thanks Lynn

Sheriff

Sweet !
The standard placement for the bulkheads included in the full plans is right at the jonction of the 2 sections (red in the sreenshot). Also, both bulkhead are the exact same size; you will have to shave a few millimeters from the one at the back of your EDF to fit the narrowing aft fuselage.

1553043416370.png

Sweet !
The standard placement for the bulkheads included in the full plans is right at the jonction of the 2 sections (red in the sreenshot). Also, both bulkhead are the exact same size; you will have to shave a few millimeters from the one at the back of your EDF to fit the narrowing aft fuselage.

View attachment 126948
Sheriff and all, Well not moving too fast but making progress. As you can see moving the 90mm EDF unit back that far really leaves little room for bringing the motor wires forward. Note the old bulkheads and the new bulkheads that are around the edf. I will know more when I am ready to set the motor to that portion of the fuselage. I may move forward a tad to the next section, and make the tail feathers mate with a slip joint? I am still working through the external formers and ensuring the proper fit. Cheers,

Attachments

• 90mm fus.JPG
    90mm fus.JPG
    827.4 KB · Views: 0
  • New 90MM EDF Placed Bulkhead.jpg
    New 90MM EDF Placed Bulkhead.jpg
    556 KB · Views: 0
Wow this is going to be harder than it looked! I am having sizing problems with the fuselage - Darn it. I moved your PDFs into MS Excel Usually I can blow an image uo there and get good tiling. I will go back to your first version were the list nose section and second fuselage are together and see if that works. I can go into the pdf as an image in excel and set new size to 137%. will see if they fit better. My parts layout image above has two things wrong. First, is the nose piece has a width section missing for the bottoms to join as one bottom. (my bad) Second, section bend pieces between nose and next section don't match up well (very slight, but when bent to shape never really fits closer to the outside formers you use. Obviously there is greater precision required?? (again my bad). :)

Sheriff

I am not sure I understand your problem (lost in translation I suppose as I am French-Canadian).

About the formers; the inside line is the theoretical shape. The outside is the same line moved by 2mm to make it easier to slide over the bent pieces.

If needed, I can create a 137% PDF for you.
Let me know

Gui

By the way, my Sabre as its colors.
I was going for the Viet-Nam camouflaged but my wife convinced me to stick to my standard pattern: yellow and silver with black accents.

Gui View attachment 127918
That is a mighty fine F-100! Hope mine can turn out that good. If it isn't too much trouble resizing too 137% would be great. I will still have them to import to Excel to print. Regards, Lynn

Sheriff

Mr. Essman,
Here is my Super-Sabre blown up to 137%. Hope the new files help your project.

Au revoir
Guillaume

Attachments

• F-137-A.pdf
    10.1 KB · Views: 0
  • F-137-B.pdf
    11 KB · Views: 0
  • F-137-C.pdf
    13.2 KB · Views: 0
Sheriff, Thank you for the quick turn around. I have them and they open great. I will keep you posted. I wonder if DamoRC is still working on his plans, as I found that I have both a 70mm and 90mm EDF set that I can use for a version of his F-100? I will have time on Friday to at least test the new plans agains my older ver 2.

Sheriff

My very good friend brought his reflex-camera last sunday for a photo shoot of my new, improved and freshly painted F-100.

Now powered by a 4cell battery, it flew much better, but the tiny control surfaces were barely enough to keep me out of trouble. I definitly need to had either ailerons or enlarge the current tailerons or find a way to build full flying stab.

The guilds beneath the wing swallowed a lot of heavy snow on landings. Can't be good for the electronics.

Enjoy !

Attachments

• dsc_2668_47558860461_o.jpg
    dsc_2668_47558860461_o.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 0
  • dsc_2712_40592779933_o.jpg
    dsc_2712_40592779933_o.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 0
  • dsc_2735_46835124974_o.jpg
    dsc_2735_46835124974_o.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 0
  • dsc_2737_47558860991_o.jpg
    dsc_2737_47558860991_o.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 0
  • dsc_2763_33682011458_o.jpg
    dsc_2763_33682011458_o.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 0
  • dsc_2788_47558858791_o.jpg
    dsc_2788_47558858791_o.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 0
Fantastic pictures! :) I am still playing with fuselage edges, but have noticed that some of my creases/bends are actually relaxing while in the forms, with no glue, for a few days. Making a better fit than I saw at first glance.
As soon as I have a good fit I will take some more pictures. Since you mentioned ailerons, I will probably use them on the larger plane. I will probably build with a thicker wing too for strength and a double tail feathers. The 90mm will be lighter than my full foam F-100. I think that the added weight from the 37% increase in size will need some areas to be strengthened.

I still like the idea of the slip joint on the back of the fuselage (DamoRC style) for the EDF fuselage interface. Full flying Stabilators are also on the table. :)