Solved Twin motor problems

Timmy

Legendary member
I finished building my G pig but it won't fly! It weighs about 1.1 kg with no battery (recommended is 1kg), has 1000kv motors spinning a 10x45 prop and I think the motors are the problem but I don't know for sure. When I throttle up slowly both motors spin fine but I don't think they reach their max rpm. On the other hand when I throttle up more quickly one motor spins really fast while the other does nothing. Another thing, the one that does nothing spins freely when I turn it with my hand but the other has more friction, not by a huge amount though. Another-nother thing the motor which has more friction's bell comes out a bit, by about a mil. My friend says the my G pig could just be to heavy, I have put it on a diet, removed some wheels and cut off some extra glue (not that there was very much) but it still wont take off. It wants to, its very close to taking off, but it doesn't fly. Does anyone have any advice?

Last edited:

Ktaylor

Did you disconnect the Red BEC wire from one of the ESC’s? Some speed controllers don’t like to have another speed controller supply power to the receiver

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
@Ktaylor, makes a good point, If both ESC have the red wire hooked up, they end up fighting each other. One is calling for more voltage & the other is calling for less. Remove the red wire from one of the ECS's. The best way is to use a servo extension, removing the red wire from it, leaving the ESC unharmed for potential use in another plane.

I agree with @Aireal Anarchist, the ESC's need to be calibrated.

Make sure the props have the numbers facing forward, the direction of travel. If they are facing backwards, you only get about 40% of the thrust.

Your pig is a bit fat, it should still fly.

Last edited:

Timmy

Legendary member
I heard about the red wire thing but the ESCs are connected to different channels on my receiver so would the red wire still be a problem?
And I've got another symptom form my G pig: one of the motors gets much warmer than the other for some reason.
Calibrating the ESCs is next on my to-do list.

Last edited:

Timmy

Legendary member
Ok well I've calibrated the ESCs but the motor with friction still seems to spin slower than the other (I tested them individually). And I checked, I wasn't flying with backward props.

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I heard about the red wire thing but the ESCs are connected to different channels on my receiver so would the red wire still be a problem?
Yes, on the Rx all of the positive pins are connected & all of the negative pins are connected. Only the signal pins are separate.

Timmy

Legendary member
Is the motor with increased friction the one that is getting warm?
Well its confusing. At first the motor with no friction got warm, now i don't know anymore.
And I'll disconnect the red on one of the ESCs. However when I tested the motors individually there was a difference in performance.

Timmy

Legendary member
Problem solved!.....Kinda. So, the motor with friction was actually he good one! the one that spun freely's magnets wern't strong enough to spin my prop even if it was rated as a 1000kv motor. I bought these cheap so that probably why. I'll just have to make a new single engine plane with the actual 1000kv motor while I wait for a replacement.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
edit the thread (at the very top), it should let you change it from help to solved.