Twin motor setup???????

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Ok looking to do a twin motor setup for the stol chalange. I've never wired something like this. I was thinking I would build to "power pods" to put on the wing. Ill put each esc in there with a y and extensions to the esc from the receiver. Would it be better to use one big battery or two smaller ones mounted in each pod to help with the cog. Is this the best way to do it or is there a better way to do it?

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Battery/ies in the center is better than weight in the wing. When connecting 2 esc to a Y Cable you have to pull out one of the red wires from the esc - only receiver power from one of the two esc-s.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
Ok so I only connect power to one esc or both and modify the y harness? I guess the 2200 3sell I have would be the best option for two motors.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Both motors should be connected to the battery. It is the red wire in the 3-wire Cable going to the radio where one of them from the two speed controllers has to be pulled out of the "servo connector".

CrashRecovery

Mentor
Yes it did!!!! Now to start building. Ill bring everything into work on Saturday and build away. The only thing I'm worried about is the wing. It's made out of a thicker material the the $tree stuff. I'm worried about the weight but then again the stronger board might work better for having engines on the wing. Idk

CrashRecovery

Mentor
I will. Just a few design features I'm trying to decide on. Bank and yank or elevator/rudder with flaps.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
Oh second question do I want to add any thrust angle to these motors? Point them down to help with quick lift or up to work against the lift?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Isn't thrust angle to prevent pitching/twisting when throttle changes? I would think pitching w/ the thottle would be really bad for a STOL.

If you're using counter rotating, angle from the top would be centered (0), then angle from the side (up/down) would got through CoM. Since CoM can be soooo low on an OF, and I imagine you're planning wing-mounted pods, I'd imagine a fair amount of up. How much would depend on where you mount the battery -- top of the fuse or the bottom.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
I'm planning on mounting the battery somewhere near the top by the nose for ease of connection. I'm gonna seal up the front or set it up for a gopro in the nose. Should I consider mounting the battery lower in the fuse? And yes the engines will be on the wings. I've thought about trying to put them on some struts between the fuse and wings. All I know is I plan on using two motors, a big three cell for weight considering I'm looking to extend the fuse a bit, and big wheels for playing in grass. Things I'm undecided on..... Flaperons, building a brake system and how I'm going to mount the motors. Otherwise I've got my build set. I just have to buy a few things, servo wires, like a y if I don't do flaperons, and build my battery connection y

earthsciteach

I'm a huge fan of Nodd's work. He builds incredible planes. Such a craftsman! You can check some of his stuff out on wattflyer.com. Very inspiring!