Help! Twin Motor Yaw... HELP!!!!

Teri_W

Hey everyone... I'm new here but I'm not new to RC. I've been surface based for over 40 years and just getting into fixed wing and multi-rotor models (helicopters scare me, sorry). and now a custom hovercraft.

So, I need help on a project. I have a couple of Spektrum DX6 G3 (SPM6750EU) and an iX12 (plus a few other TXs)

I'm building a hovercraft and I want to be able to control 2 motors with my DX6 and have forward and reverse thrust and be able to Yaw with them.

What I want is the right stick up give forward thrust to both motors and the left stick (left/right) stick to control Yaw. in my mind full forward will power both motors and moving the throttle stick left or right would reduce power to one or the other motor to give Yaw. I know I'll need to use MIX but that is very new to me. I know Dual Rate but not Mixing between channels...

putting a rudder or directional nozzles on the model isn't an option because this is going to be a stealth military type hovercraft, I have a 3rd motor to provide lift, it's just steering I'm struggling with because I don't know how to Mix two motors to Yaw on the throttle stick...

Any idea..?

Many Thanks

BayDesigns

I don’t know if it’s possible but you could try putting one motor on the left stick and one on the right so you can control them yourself

tomlogan1

Hey everyone... I'm new here but I'm not new to RC. I've been surface based for over 40 years and just getting into fixed wing and multi-rotor models (helicopters scare me, sorry). and now a custom hovercraft.

So, I need help on a project. I have a couple of Spektrum DX6 G3 (SPM6750EU) and an iX12 (plus a few other TXs)

I'm building a hovercraft and I want to be able to control 2 motors with my DX6 and have forward and reverse thrust and be able to Yaw with them.

What I want is the right stick up give forward thrust to both motors and the left stick (left/right) stick to control Yaw. in my mind full forward will power both motors and moving the throttle stick left or right would reduce power to one or the other motor to give Yaw. I know I'll need to use MIX but that is very new to me. I know Dual Rate but not Mixing between channels...

putting a rudder or directional nozzles on the model isn't an option because this is going to be a stealth military type hovercraft, I have a 3rd motor to provide lift, it's just steering I'm struggling with because I don't know how to Mix two motors to Yaw on the throttle stick...

Any idea..?

Many Thanks

You mentioned multiple TXs. If you have a Flysky FS-i6, here is a how to video that works very well.

Teri_W

WOW, thanks for the responses...

I do have a FlySky FS-i6 and saw the Differential Thrust Mix video on YouTube but I wasn't sure if I would get reverse thrust on my impellers by reversing the motors and I really wanted to use my DX6 or DX9 because I have my FatShark FPV hooked up to them.

I will try the 3 MIX option on my radio and 2 ESC...

Thanks again :)

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
WOW, thanks for the responses...

I do have a FlySky FS-i6 and saw the Differential Thrust Mix video on YouTube but I wasn't sure if I would get reverse thrust on my impellers by reversing the motors and I really wanted to use my DX6 or DX9 because I have my FatShark FPV hooked up to them.

I will try the 3 MIX option on my radio and 2 ESC...

Thanks again :)

the motors do not "reverse" themselves, they just slow down. that's what the 2nd mix does. when you rudder one direction it slows that motor creating the yaw effect. most people will use counter rotating props (ie- 1 motor spins one direction, the other spins the other way) to counter act the torque affect but it is not necessary.

you should have no problem with the mixes on your dx6 or dx9. depending upon what esc you are using you may need to remove one of the power wires so the BEC's are not fighting with each other. if using identical make/model/size of esc then you don't need to.

good luck,

me :cool:

Teri_W

the motors do not "reverse" themselves, they just slow down. that's what the 2nd mix does. when you rudder one direction it slows that motor creating the yaw effect. most people will use counter rotating props (ie- 1 motor spins one direction, the other spins the other way) to counter act the torque affect but it is not necessary.

you should have no problem with the mixes on your dx6 or dx9. depending upon what esc you are using you may need to remove one of the power wires so the BEC's are not fighting with each other. if using identical make/model/size of esc then you don't need to.

good luck,

me :cool:

The 3 MIX are working very well...

I'm using 2 identical HobbyWing 1060 ESC with 2 identical DC motors, I'm using the Thro as primary and Aux1 as the slave with the power lead removed.., I'm currently trying the MIX you suggest. I'm setting centre as neutral (idle) so I can have 100% full power forward thrust to both motors and 100% reverse thrust on both motors and moving the throttle stick side to side will give me the Yaw differential I'm looking for... I'm half way there and tweaking the sensitivity with D/R & Expo... looking good so far...