Twin Tiny Trainer (TTT)

Arcfyre

Elite member
So Hobbyking was offering some little 1808-2400kv motors for $4.99. At that price I couldn't say no and bought 4 of them.

I've been wanting a twin again since my sea duck died, and I decided to take one of FT's most beloved and popular designs and make a twin out of it.

Meet the TTT, or twin tiny trainer! I tried to keep the design as simple as possible in case someone wanted to make their own version. The engine nacelles are made from the plans for the powered nose, shortened slightly to fit on the sport wing. The nacelles also hold the aileron servos, the ESCs, and the landing gear. The wing is completely stock, except for the extra wiring that needed to be done. The fuselage is also stock, except I moved the tail servos further back to help with CG and to keep the pushrods short. The front nose is the stock 2ch glider nose and holds the battery. The landing gear is basically the same design as found in the FT mustang, scaled to fit this plane.

I took it for a quick maiden (no video yet, sorry) and wasn't really ready for how fast she was. The empty weight is 17 ounces, so the wing loading is pretty high. I flew it with a 1000mah battery and it balanced out ok. Will do some more flying and testing in the coming days. Here are some pictures, enjoy!
20190529_175652.jpg
20190528_204234.jpg
20190529_175641.jpg
20190529_213158.jpg
20190529_213206.jpg
20190529_213216.jpg
20190529_213228.jpg
20190529_213236.jpg
20190529_213427.jpg

CapnBry

Elite member
haha this is so great. I love seeing so many Tiny Trainer setups since I've already got one of those and it is only half the work to make a new flying experience. Now you got me checking out those motors.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I'm a huge fan of twins. Thats awesome!

Seems to me they survive crashes better, break fewer props, and best of all, they look so cool!

mayan

Legendary member
@Arcfyre I love it! Say what ESCs are you using? Also I have never done a twin so must ask how are the props and motors setup? Is one setup CW and the other CCW?

Arcfyre

Elite member
@Arcfyre I love it! Say what ESCs are you using? Also I have never done a twin so must ask how are the props and motors setup? Is one setup CW and the other CCW?

They are 20A Hobbyking ESCs and yes, I built it so that one each motor turned in a different direction. The motors are identical, the props came in a 2 pack, CW and CCW.

Arcfyre

Elite member
Heres a picture of how the wing was wired. I did it this way so it was easily removable. Each motor pod got 2 servo leads (one for ESC signal, one for aileron servo) and a power lead.

20190612_065612.jpg

mayan

Legendary member
@Arcfyre thanks for all the information, this will be one of my next builds before the FT cruiser. You said it balances with a 100mah battery I assume you were refering to a 3S 1000 mah battery? Ohhh and be paitent with me cause I will be asking more questions if I get stuck.

Arcfyre

Elite member
@Arcfyre thanks for all the information, this will be one of my next builds before the FT cruiser. You said it balances with a 100mah battery I assume you were refering to a 3S 1000 mah battery? Ohhh and be paitent with me cause I will be asking more questions if I get stuck.

Yes, I flew it exclusively on 3S. I maidened it with a 1000 mAh all the way in the nose, but for regular flying I used a 1500 mAh. When I built the glider nose for the fuselage, I left off the foam doublers since it would not be landing on its belly. This allowed for much more room in the nose and much larger batteries. I did have to move the 1500 back a bit to get it to balance properly.

And ask away. Its what the forums are for.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I have good luck on my twin stuff with a very slight downward angle. I find them to be less sensitive to thrust angles than single engine birds, most important they are both the same angle...