Twitchity Hex - Oh boy, here we go again!

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I really shouldn't try to talk and test fly at the same time...but it's getting better:

Still working on the tune, it's a bit mushy and I haven't hit any oscillations so I still have a ways to go on the P's before I get into the I's and D's. I dropped the looptime down to 2500 (I'm running oneshot and plan to go lower but 2500 seems like a good starting point for now.) I also upped the gyro_lpf bit by bit...I'm at 188 and haven't had any negative side effects yet so I'll probably go all the way to 256 (which is what I run on my Tau setup, and on my MW setup, but have stuck with 42 on my nanowii and baseflight setups and feel a difference.) but ran out of time.

Finally got a handle on the throttle. Had to move the midpoint up to 0.85 (I was going in the wrong direction originally with lowering it and just making things worse) and it's still hovering before 1/2 stick...but at least it's got a somewhat usable throttle curve yet. Probably need some more expo but want to try it somewhere with more space before I do that.

Big issue is I have a bit of yaw drift. I added a yaw dead zone of 5 to try and fix it - and it helped...but didn't solve it. I'm only seeing 1-2 jitter in my RX signal so I'm not sure why. I'll try pushing it up to 7 next time I can fly and will probably try bumping the P back up now that I have the yaw rate higher and a bit more I on yaw (I bumped the I earlier and it helped a bit but not enough yet.) Hopefully a bit more P and I on the yaw will solve this drift....I've never had to do much yaw tuning before so this is new for me.

I'm starting to enjoy flying it more but it still scares me. Reminds me of the first few times I few the warpquad. Though on the warp I was confident I wouldn't break it in a crash. With this...while I trust Twitchitys design...I"m still a bit nervous about the arms given how long they are and how easily I broke that hybrid one. Plus this is heavier...it reminds me more of flying my knuckle - only more powerful.

Was all set to go out and do some more tuning at the field. Took a half hour to rig up my bluetooth module and make sure it was working so I could do easy tuning from my phone, and got my "new" laptop ready to go as well since it has a battery that can actually last a few hours (Unlike my old laptop which gets about 45 minutes tops.) Was all set and started loading things in the truck...when it finally started raining :(

This is definitely going to be better as a FPV ship than a LOS - even being bigger than my knuckle this thing just disappears way too fast for me LOS :D At least the reason I wasn't able to fly sooner today was I had to do some work on a Sunday...hopefully it pays off with another bonus and I can get that brain board sooner rather than later. Tau's autotune may not be perfect...but it does so freaking well so quick I really miss it. It will get you 90-95% of the way there in minutes instead of spending a day or two tuning to get there like I have been. Heck on my knuckle I've been super happy with the autotune by itself and haven't bothered to fine tune yet (keep meaning too...but too many other experiments first because the tune is so close!) I suspect for 95% of the people out there Tau's autotune would be just fine.

I am running CF so I could try CF's autotune...but I'm nervous about trying that on this based on the stories I've heard about near flyaways with CF's autotune.

Rain predicted for the next few days....but my birthday vacation starts wednesday afternoon right as the weather is supposed to clear up. Hopefully I'll be able to enjoy some birthday flying Thursday (my actual birthday) and Friday!

Twitchity

You seem to be all over the place with that hex :p Is it possible the yaw drift is coming from the Afromini?

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I got my hex rebuilt this weekend. It needs to be tuned which is hard to do in the snow as there is no safe place to bail the copter if the tune is unflyable. I am running Cleanflight and WOW did that PDB make the build simple.

That right yaw is nasty. I think you would be flying if that went away. Are you centered at 1500 or are your end points skewed to the right?

jipp

yeah that did seem a bit twitchy. is this the norm for building a new multirover, or is there something new that is causing conflicts also you missed your neighbor saying hi..

chris.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
The right yaw and touchy throttle are making this one much harder to fly than most. The yaw I'm still trying to figure out what's causing it. The afromini didn't do that before when I ran it on my Twitchity quad so I don't think it's a hardware issue. It does seem worse with PID controller 3 so I think it's something in software. I'm hoping some more tuning can take care of it as it wasn't doing it at first but it got bad as I started to get the yaw responding well and the throttle under control.

FWIW - I wasn't trying to "just hover" I was trying to push it around and see how it was responding. It's still a bit more sluggish than I want in response which is making it a bit hard to test the way I like to since I end up over correcting due to it responding slower than I expect. It does hover very well. But aggressive maneuvering isn't doing well with the current tune.

I think a big reason this one is such a handful is the power to weight ratio with the tune being less than perfect. Me going the wrong way adjusting my throttle curve didn't help either :D

jipp

that makes sense. well the rain is here man. any rain over there yet?

when they said rain, they meant it.. weather man has it pretty easy here.. just say its gonna be sunny and he will be right 99 percent of the time.
chris.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Seems like we got all the rain we're going to get last night. Still wet out but no more coming down. Got really drenched last night though, good solid rain for a couple of hours. Was gloomy and looking like more this morning, but around 11 it cleared up and is gorgeous out making me wish I could skip work and go do some aerial video today because the sky is amazing with fluffy clouds.

Plus when I went home for lunch I found that the props I ordered Friday night from gothelirc are already here:

11024920_10152610889581805_665900317_o.jpg

That should get me through a day or two :D

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Props go quickly on a hex...

I got my hex flying with Cleanflight last night. Now I need to tune it and I am going to give the BlueTooth module a shot.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Probably overheating or getting solder under the components or just being generally foolish by wearing wool socks on a -15 day in my basement.

I dunno. :black_eyed: It certainly wasn't the frame. This frame is beautiful. My wife loves the purple PDB. :)

All I care about is that after all the kerfluffle here in the past 6 months, she flies!

I need to repaint the blue aluminum standoffs I got (they are aqua) and I am thinking of adding another LED strip or two. The PDB is NICE and makes such late additions simple. Since I put the lipo on top, I need to remove the top plate to add the BlueTooth anyway as the receiver sits on the horizontal pins in the center of the Naze.

Luckily, no crazy yaw issues here. I grabbed PIDs from my WarpQuad and they fly pretty well. Well enough to play with until the snow melts and I have grass to ditch it in while I do a proper tune. I never could land on concrete with I and D at 0 without trashing props.

jipp

gothelirc they seem to have fast shipping you have a url, never mind add a .com to it and 9 out of 10 times you will have the right addy. heh, book marked them for later use? heh, yeah we getting nailed with rain.. was suppose to start dis-morning and stop at 5pm. hah. started late and no signs of stopping yet.

chris.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Yep, he ships fast - almost always the same or next day. And since he's in Chandler the cheap USPS first class shipping gets to me the dya after he pops it in the mail. His prices on HQ props are VERY fair, but he doesn't carry much else that I need or when he does it's a bit pricey. But I get ALL my HQ props from him. And the jolly rancher he tosses in doesn't hurt either. I got watermelon today (It would have been in the photo but that's one of my 2 favorite flavors so it didn't last long enough :D )

Also interesting today...got an orange slip from the postman about something from China that needed a signature. Which is odd as I can't remember ordering anything that hasn't arrived yet and my wife looked genuinely surprised by it as well. She's a horrible actor so I don't think she was just pretending not to know and it's a birthday gift she ordered. Really curious to see if it's a surprise from someone or if something took so long to ship I just forgot about it :D

Last edited:

jipp

yeah when i order from china i tend to just sorta forget about it. heh. will be interesting to see what you ordered :p

chris,

Twitchity

yeah when i order from china i tend to just sorta forget about it. heh. will be interesting to see what you ordered :p

chris,

This is the best way to deal with items from China :D I've recently gone one step further and forget what I order within the states most of the time so I'm always surprised when a package arrived.

jipp

This is the best way to deal with items from China :D I've recently gone one step further and forget what I order within the states most of the time so I'm always surprised when a package arrived.

best part about that logic.. every day can be like Christmas morning when you were a little one. :D

chris.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Well the mystery package lost it's mystery yesterday. Apparently my mailman just didn't know that CH isn't the country code for China, it's the country code for Switzerland. And I WAS expecting a package from there, I just wasn't expecting it this soon!

About a week and a half ago nilsen sent me a PM asking if I may have any projects that would benefit from a Raspberry Pi or a TI Launchpad as he has some he didn't have any plans for. Well, I had to admit that I didn't have any ideas off the top of my head but if they were just going to waste I'd be glad to give them a home and try to come up with something to do with them. I'm still not sure just what I'm going to do with them...I may try and get Tau Labs GCS running on the Pi - though I'm not sure it will be powerful enough to do it very well...but I found at least one person who was somewhat successful at it on the Tau forums so I may give it a go.

Point is he did indeed send them and that was the mystery package...he also thoughtfully tossed in some chocolate which my wife and daughter excitedly claimed as their own (they did share a little with me thankfully!) and a postcard that has convinced me Zurich deserves a place on my itinerary when I eventually get to visit Europe someday.

11024834_10152614127996805_322876316_o.jpg

My parents arrived shortly after the box and I was able to take a half day on Wednesday to start my 40th birthday vacation (my actual birthday was today which was celebrated with a wonderful dinner out with some good friends!) So I haven't had a chance to put power to the Pi or LP yet...but the chocolate has already been enjoyed fully and completely :D

Additionally this morning I was greeted in bed with a gift from my parents which resulted in a BrainFPV board being ordered and on it's way here for the hex - so it should be getting it's upgrade next week I hope!

I also was able to take some time today to do a little tuning on the hex with my dad in the front yard. Good news - I found and solved the rattle that's been bugging me. Apparently I didn't fully tighten the screws on one of the motors. Whoops. (Um, Twitch...can you send me a PM or email with how much it will cost me for a few spare purple motor mounting screws :D) It sounds MUCH better in the air now :D But...that still didn't solve the yaw drift issue. I did some more experimenting with the yaw PID's but the right drift is still there and as bad as ever.

I'm hoping to do some more experimenting tomorrow but honestly I'm not interested in putting too much time into it since I've got the Brain board on it's way now. Still, would be nice to solve it so I can at least fly the thing tomorrow since I should have time to hit the field with my dad if it's not too windy...I'm going to increase the yaw deadband a bit more since that's still my best guess as to what's causing it. Will report back if I have progress to share!

But I'm also taking a bit of a break from the keyboard for the next few days. My wrist has really been bugging me and finally reached the point I resorted to trying acupuncture for the first time today. And while I went in a skeptic I have to admit I came out incredibly impressed. My pain dropped from about an 8 to a 3 as soon as she put the first pin in my ankle. 3 more pins and 40 minutes or so of listening to birds and flutes and the pain was all but gone. It did come back over the rest of the evening...but it came back MUCH milder and tolerable. I'm going back for another treatment tomorrow and two more next week...but I'm also going to try and minimize keyboard/mouse time until I go back to work late next week. So updates may be slow coming for a few days.

nilsen

Glad the package arrived in one piece, I hope you and the family enjoyed the chocolates. I would have sent more but the box was too small :)

Looking forward to seeing the progress on the Hex with the Brain as well as a future PI-Copter :D

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Got back in town yesterday after a few days in San Diego - my new Brain board was in the mailbox waiting for me :)

But my parents are here until Thursday and I'm under a crazy tight deadline at work...so not sure if I'll have time to get it installed in the next few days. I did update the firmware on it last night and do some initial software setup...can't wait to hook a camera/VTX to it and try the OSD.

My wrist is doing better as well after a few days away from the keyboard. But the more I mouse/type today the worse it's feeling again. Thankfully I've got another treatment this afternoon and one on Friday.

Probably won't fly the hex on the afromini again...soon as I get a few minutes to fire up the soldering iron I'll be swapping the Brain in :D