Twitchity quad with power board - test build

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
OK jhitesma, I got the berings and I have replaced berings before but...how did you get the old berings out of the DYS 1806s?

I do have the C clip removed. :)

Last edited:

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
OK jhitesma, I got the berings and I have replaced berings before but...how did you get the old berings out of the DYS 1806s?

I do have the C clip removed. :)

I plan on making a video when I get my bearings.

But basically I have a piece of 3/4" ply I drilled a 19mm hole in so the stator will fit in it but the bottom of the motor won't. Then I just put the motor in and put a small jewelers screwdriver though the first bearing so it rested on the inner race of the second. Few gentle taps with a small hammer and out it comes. Then flip it over and do the second which is much easier. FGA posted some good photos on how to do it in the Warp thread on RCG.

There's also a method using a brass tube the size of the ID of the bearings, you cut a small slit in it then spread it out a bit. Then push the non spread side through until the spread side pops through and you can use it to drive out the bearing. But I haven't had any luck finding 3mm or 2mm brass tubing locally.

Last edited:

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Oh, and I have to follow up that I can't recommend the gothelirc bearings :(

$2.50 for 2 and they didn't last one pack. There was one crash that broke a prop on that motor but it was running rough after just half a pack of gentle front yard flying before that crash (that crash was party due to how rough it had gotten already.)

I'm swear I was a lot rougher on the SS motors than these but I can't seem to make bearings last more than a few packs at most in these. Not sure what's going on. I admit on the SS motors I thought I had bad bearings but all the noises and roughness I was experiencing went away when we switched to KISS esc's. But these bearings in the DYS motors I can hear them squeal and feel how rough they are spinning them by hand, the SS only sounded funky in the air but still felt smooth when I spun them by hand.

I had hoped the bearings from gotheirc would last a bit longer. And they did seem smoother. Can't believe one little crash (on dirt) and they're this rough already. Hopefully the ebay bearings I've got coming do better. I'm thinking Mustang cursed me for buying my motors from banggood instead of his friends at MRM since I haven't heard of anyone else having this many problems with them :D

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I tried the whole jewelers screwdriver through the top bering to punch out the bottom bering on my workbench. Gave it a few whacks with a rubber mallet as hard as I dared to and the bering didn't budge.

I had hoped you had a magic cure-all using scotch tape, dental floss and a 3/8" socket wrench or something. :)

Methinks I shall have to bash it harder...demon sand. :)

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
I've been happy with the bearings I got from Avid. I just recieved my second order from them today.

Cranial. If the bearing is not budging try giving it a knock on the other side and then back on the original side again. rotating sides will stop the bearing from jamming which may be happening to you. Either that or its in there hard and you just need to use your big boy muscles :)

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I've been happy with the bearings I got from Avid. I just recieved my second order from them today.

Link? :)

I am about to whack the holy snott out of them with a regular hammer. Either the bering will go, the screwdriver will break or I will knock a stator or two off the motor. Any way you slice it, on come the safety glasses and out comes the hammer.

Last edited:

Twitchity

I just ordered 10 bearings from Avid, so I'll give them a try. I have two motors that are noisy so I figured I'd order some spares as well.

As far as the roll situation goes on my quad, I tried looking for some way to adjust the endpoints on my transmitter (DX6I), but I can't change anything outside of adjusting the travel adjust(?) to 125% which has already been done. Doing so I get a low reading around 1050 and a high of 1850 with mid being 1500.

Since I can't go in and adjust the high/low points individually, would adjusting the mincommand to 1150 and maxcommand to 1850 fix my roll problem? This way I would have 350 difference from low to mid, and a 350 difference from mid to max.

mpbiv

I just ordered 10 bearings from Avid, so I'll give them a try. I have two motors that are noisy so I figured I'd order some spares as well.

As far as the roll situation goes on my quad, I tried looking for some way to adjust the endpoints on my transmitter (DX6I), but I can't change anything outside of adjusting the travel adjust(?) to 125% which has already been done. Doing so I get a low reading around 1050 and a high of 1850 with mid being 1500.

Since I can't go in and adjust the high/low points individually, would adjusting the mincommand to 1150 and maxcommand to 1850 fix my roll problem? This way I would have 350 difference from low to mid, and a 350 difference from mid to max.

When you get to the travel adjustment screen move the control stick in the direction you want to adjust the travel and then you will see the arrow displayed next to the aileron/elevator change to match the direction you are adjusting. This should allow you to set a different endpoint for each direction.

Twitchity

When you get to the travel adjustment screen move the control stick in the direction you want to adjust the travel and then you will see the arrow displayed next to the aileron/elevator change to match the direction you are adjusting. This should allow you to set a different endpoint for each direction.

You are the best! I never moved the stick to the left or right so I'm going to assume it defaulted to the left stick where I set the value to 125% where the right value was left at 100%. I'm going to check this first thing when I get home. I had assumed the 125% value was for both, not individually.

You learn something new each day :)

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I totally forgot to check avid. When I was doing bearings on the SS motors they were out of the size I needed so I had to go elsewhere. Looks like they do have them in stock for the DYS 1806's:
http://www.avidrc.com/product/1/bearings/357/2x6x3-Metal-692ZZ-bearings.html

The ebay bearings I ordered should be here today. If I have as bad luck with them as I did with the ones from gothelirc I'll probably give avid's a try.

I really think the root problem is just that these things are getting so tiny they can't take as much abuse as even the slightly larger bearings used in the SS2204's.

I was surprised at how easily they came out on my 1806's. Just a very gentle tap with a small but "real" hammer and they popped right out. The replacements though were much harder to install than the bearings on the 2204's. The replacements on the 2204's I was able to press in with my thumbs. The 1806's I had to use my hobby vice and some wood blocks to give them a shove. I used FGA's method with a screw through them to keep them straight and I would have used a nut to pull them in as well but I didn't have any 2mm nuts on hand.

Basically the way I put them in was using the long ss screws I was using for motor mounts on my wood frame I put an old bearing on the screw first - then a new bearing, then put it into the motor - then another new bearing and then another old bearing. And honestly I wouldn't have had room for a nut at that point as the stack was tall enough to use up the entire length of the screw. I then put a wood block on either side with a hole drilled for the screw to pass through. Then I gently squished it in my hobby vice checking repeatedly to make sure the bearings were going in straight.

Here's FGA's tutorial on bearing changing: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28831311&postcount=1572

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Thanks for the link, jhitesma. Does Avid have JollyRanchers though? :)

Thanks for the lesson, FGA.

I love this line "It is a good idea now to mark the old bearings with a black marker so you don't mix them up with the new bearings." There's a lesson learned from experience. :)

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Mailman just came. (home sick today, my coughing annoyed my boss and even the prescription cough syrup isn't helping much.) My ebay bearings arrived.

I knew they were a gamble and it looks like I lost on this one. Wow are these horrible. They vary in color from bearing to bearing. And despite the listing claiming them to be "rubber sealed metal shielded" they're not even shielded let alone sealed. But the worst is when I stuck a shaft in them and gave them a spin...they feel HORRIBLE. Ugh. $5 down the drain doesn't bother me. Having to wait another however many days Avid will take to get me bearings does. I want to fly this thing not wait on bearings!

Debating whether to give the seller a chance to make this right or just give negative feedback. Don't want to have to hassle and spend the money to return them but they're useless to me. Should have trusted my instinct and stayed away when I saw their product photo had a banggood watermark on it despite being a US based seller.

Look at this junk:

Hmm, these are new? Even before I opened the tube they look like some may be rusted or just really inconsistent. Maybe the tube is just throwing off my perception.
10650486_10152250876316805_1476613431_o.jpg

Nope, they're really that inconsistent. Ugh.
10683081_10152250876131805_309898762_o.jpg

"Rubber Sealed Metal Shielded" - uh, no. I don't think so.
10682496_10152250876696805_574883547_o.jpg

Let's go in for a closer look...not that it will make them magically better or anything.
10621462_10152250877706805_1477951493_o.jpg

Stay away from ebay seller "fzeroinestore"

Twitchity

jhitesma, I ordered 10 bearings from Avid for the 1806's earlier today and got a shipping confirmation a few hours later. They are coming USPS first class so hopefully shipping will only take a few days, and they are located in TX.

It's pouring down outside right now, so I hope it clears up in the next hour or so because I want to go fly some more after work.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Yeah, just placed an order with avid. Being in TX if they ship as quick as MRM I should have bearings by this weekend. Fingers crossed. I ordered 12 - enough for all 5 motors I have and a spare set just in case.

Just really pissed at how bad these ebay bearings are. I knew they were a gamble but I expected them to just not last very long...not be totally different than the description and to feel like they're packed with sand instead of grease. Trying to lodge a complaint with the seller before leaving negative feedback but ebay isn't responding on the feedback page. Though even if they refund my money and tell me to keep them I may leave negative feedback anyway since I'm pissed about wasting a week of my time waiting on them only to get junk that does't match the description :(

No rain here...but no point in flying with my motors as rough as they are right now either :(

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Oh man...these are even worse than I thought. Just took one more look at them and saw this:

10647502_10152250924426805_1612846144_o.jpg

Note the loose ball? Kind of hard to see in the photo but it's apparently from the bearing on the left which is missing a ball!

Had to look at them all individually to find the one with a missing ball, it wasn't next to the one with the loose ball stuck to it. Looking at them close under the magnifier the lack of QC is ridiculous. Some of them are bone dry, others are packed with grease as they should be and some look like they may have been pulled from something!

Twitchity

Those are some pretty nasty looking bearings which like they have been used and abused :(

mpbiv, that worked on my transmitter. I can now do rolls in both directions, thank you :)

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Those are some pretty nasty looking bearings which like they have been used and abused :(

Yeah, my message to the seller started out "Was this some kind of joke?" and went downhill from there :(

mpbiv, that worked on my transmitter. I can now do rolls in both directions, thank you :)

Sweet! Glad to hear you found your issue! And glad to hear it was something never would have thought of as I've never used an actual spektrum radio :D

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Thanks for the link, jhitesma. Does Avid have JollyRanchers though? :)

Thanks for the lesson, FGA.

I love this line "It is a good idea now to mark the old bearings with a black marker so you don't mix them up with the new bearings." There's a lesson learned from experience. :)

No problems Cranial, it makes the job a lot easier. That comment in there is because in taking pictures for that tutorial I changed the bearings in that old motor (smoked and broken) about four times and all the bearings were old and used but after a while I lost track of which were being installed and which were being used to press them in. The last thing you want to do is all that hard work only to reinstall the old bearings :)

That's some crappy a$$ bearings you've got there Jhitesma!!!

Last edited: