CatholicFlyer

man, brings me to another memory, the life guards at the community pool when I was little, actually taught us to swim, yep in the deep end, yeah so I guess I did as I was taught, as you said, "learning to swim in the deep end", will print out as you suggest, if the champ needs a new wing, will see if I can transfer the electronics into a tandem wing design. then go from there @Chuppster @DamoRC

is it just as expensive to build the bomber, B-29, that I sat in as a kid? RC Hobby needs to be fun, in reach for all, every build should be, not just a few builds out of reach and only in reach for those who are very blessed and well off with riches. Thank you all for the input here, I be done on the thread, unless people reply to it.

Chuppster

is it just as expensive to build the bomber, B-29, that I sat in as a kid? RC Hobby needs to be fun, in reach for all, every build should be, not just a few builds out of reach and only in reach for those who are very blessed and well off with riches. Thank you all for the input here, I be done on the thread, unless people reply to it.

For the most part, doing a build is just as expensive as you want to make it. You can build a B-29 for under $50 (not including transmitter) if you're careful about the electronics you want to buy, make it small, and make it a single-engine pusher (say, 40" wingspan). If you want it to be 4-engine I think the cheapest you could build it for is $80ish, if you keep the wingspan under 80."

The smaller you make the airplane the easier it will be to build. It will require less electronics, less structural strengthening, less room, and less material.

There are plans for one on this page: https://www.rcfbaircraft.com/us-multi-engine

This guy has a TON of scale plans for sale, for a reasonable price.

It has a roughly 70" wingspan and wouldn't be too expensive to build. The plans cost $3.00, but I don't see any build pictures so I'm not sure if he has gotten past the design phase yet. I would defiantly send him an email about it before buying the plans.

kilroy07

Legendary member
I would echo what Chuppster has said (you can spend as much on this hobby as you WANT) and I wonder if you've built any of the basic FT starter planes? Not only will it teach you how to work with foamboard but things like balance, CG and such.

One of my personal favorites is the FT flyer. It's ONE sheet of foamboard (Literally $1, well... Plus Tax.) You can find some really reasonable motor/esc combos (around $20) if you buy right from China (Banggood, Aliexpress) and you can pick up a FlySky i6 transmitter and receiver for under $50. I would recommend (if you are serious) to upgrade to the i6X (has better innards.) Pick up a couple cheap servos and you are in business. Batteries and radio are going to be the big ticket items, I would suggest getting a quality balance charger, but if you are really strapped for cash, a basic one will do (just keep an eye on it.) Oh, you'll need some props too (I usually run through a handful if I've got my friends flying with me, we're pretty hard on the planes...) :LOL:

So, try a couple of FT design builds first before you try and design you dream ship. That will get you some air time as well.

I suggest;
Starting off with the FT Flyer
Once you've banged a few of those up build a Tiny Trainer (should fly with the same motor as the flyer) it has a slightly more involved build.
And try the cub when you are ready to move up (But there are PLENTY of mini designs to keep you busy for awhile.) You'll need a bigger motor but I've found it flies just fine on the cheap 2212 golden motors from china (they run about $5 each.)

Now, that said... You do get what you pay for... That $5 motor isn't going to be handed down to your grandkids or anything and some of the China stuff will really test your trouble shooting skills... Case in point; https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/are-escs-consumable-items.53742/#post-414240
but I've had a lot of fun (and learned a lot) taking the route I did.

If you can, I do suggest maybe picking up a power pack from FT. Yes, it is a pretty big inital investment, but they are quality parts (well, except for the underpower 12@ ESC in the F pack... grumble, grumble.) AND you are helping FT share and grow the hobby (But that can wait, maybe buy a Power pack for that cub when you are ready.)

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
If my post upset you I apologize but there was a good reason behind the concerns I raised.

A very difficult project can be soul destroying and has in the past caused many to leave the hobby never to return. I would like as many people to get maximum enjoyment as is possible. Spending large sums of money trying to do a build that no one else has ever done can be financially disastrous.

Even the Wright Brothers based their work upon the earlier work of others and before they built anything they researched all material they could find and tested its validity. All I was suggesting is that you approach flying model aircraft equally as methodical.

The best model in the world will still crash if flown by someone who has no real experience in its operation. Test pilots are paid very highly for a reason! Learn to fly and learn to build using others designs first and then move cautiously onto your own design ideas.

I applaud your enthusiasm and just wish you to plan a more achievable path towards the goals.

Have fun!

CatholicFlyer

If my post upset you I apologize but there was a good reason behind the concerns I raised.

A very difficult project can be soul destroying and has in the past caused many to leave the hobby never to return. I would like as many people to get maximum enjoyment as is possible. Spending large sums of money trying to do a build that no one else has ever done can be financially disastrous.

Even the Wright Brothers based their work upon the earlier work of others and before they built anything they researched all material they could find and tested its validity. All I was suggesting is that you approach flying model aircraft equally as methodical.

The best model in the world will still crash if flown by someone who has no real experience in its operation. Test pilots are paid very highly for a reason! Learn to fly and learn to build using others designs first and then move cautiously onto your own design ideas.

I applaud your enthusiasm and just wish you to plan a more achievable path towards the goals.

Have fun!

no it didn't upset me and I apologize if I seemed rude, just when one of the others said it would be over what I could afford, meaning the high dollar equipment, I liked your info and will start small, like I told @Chuppster when the Champ needs a new wing, I will start small as you said and try to learn the v wing design and test it on the champ. @Hai-Lee

CatholicFlyer

no it didn't upset me and I apologize if I seemed rude, just when one of the others said it would be over what I could afford, meaning the high dollar equipment, I liked your info and will start small, like I told @Chuppster when the Champ needs a new wing, I will start small as you said and try to learn the v wing design and test it on the champ. @Hai-Lee

I will work on the b-52 design I built for testing, then do as I said about the champ, but I want to try and build a nice size actual one but with economic priced equipment that doesn't cost a fortune and budget friendly. If you know how to keep to design shown by @DamoRC and build it economicly, let me know. But first, study, testing with this and playing with the Champ plane.

Attachments

• WIN_20180809_19_46_16_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180809_19_46_16_Pro.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 0