two questions about FT 3D

patryk

Hi
I'm planing on scratch building FT 3D, but the only foam i have access to right now is 6mm depron. will that do?
Second question: I have 2 1400kv 180 watt outrunner motors laying around. Will the FT 3D fly well with one of thoseand and if so, what prop would you guys suggest?

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
I would say yes to the foam but as for the motors I don't know..... I'm not very good with knowing what does what yet

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Plan on covering the depron with something -- packing tape should work well. check out Experimental Airlines's How-to:

As for the motor, KV dosn't say much beyond how fast the motor turns, but the wattage should be okay for that size plane. It'll also depend on what battery you're using (# of cells) and whether you want speed or thrust. I'd recomend going back to the manufacturer (or seller's web page) to see what they recommend for that motor.

My knee jerk reaction says it's a small-side-of-medium sized motor with a meduim Kv, flying a large-side-of-small plane. It should do fine once you've got a good battery/prop combo to back it up.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Maybe something around 8x4 on 3 cells or 9x3.xx on 2S. Should works for the motor you have and will give you around 17 to 20oz of thrust...

Smok1n

I just finished building mine and I'm waiting for some decent weather to maiden it. I installed an NTM Propdrive 28-26a 1200 kv. It's supposed to run 215 watts on a 3-cell with an APS 8X4E prop. This should be a good motor for the 3D. FT tested the original versions with a smaller motor with good results. I think your 180 watt motor will do just fine if you keep your build light and run small batteries (1,200-1,600 mAh maybe). I run a similar motor in my FT Spitfire and it does OK. Not extreme vertical capability, but just under 1:1 thrust to weight.

NewZee

I just finished building mine and I'm waiting for some decent weather to maiden it. I installed an NTM Propdrive 28-26a 1200 kv. It's supposed to run 215 watts on a 3-cell with an APS 8X4E prop. This should be a good motor for the 3D. FT tested the original versions with a smaller motor with good results. I think your 180 watt motor will do just fine if you keep your build light and run small batteries (1,200-1,600 mAh maybe). I run a similar motor in my FT Spitfire and it does OK. Not extreme vertical capability, but just under 1:1 thrust to weight.

That's the same motor I use on my Spitfire and it works well the Spit will climb at 2/3 throttle from an underhand toss quite nicely! the plane weighs 710 g (1lb 9 oz), I use a 9X6 or 8X6 prop (I like the 9X6 better), and am currently using a 3s 1300mAh battery(s)