Tx for simple Storch

Mencken

Has anyone used the Spektrum DXe dsm1000 {came with my mini Apprentice} to fly the simple Storch? If so, what receiver did you use?

d8veh

Elite member
I have the same transmitter. It's only DSMX compatible, so that rules out all receivers except DSMX. I tried it with an Orange DSMX receiver, but it wouldn't bind.

I have it at the back of my mind that the SPM100 (my one) is locked to either the specific plane it came with or other planes with the Spektrum SAFE receivers, though I can't confirm that.

There are two versions of the DXe transmitter: The SPM1000, which comes with the RTF planes with SAFE receivers and the SPMR1000, which you can buy as a stand-alone transmitter that will bind with any DSMX receiver. Apart from the label on the back, the SPMR1000 has an extra two switches on the front right side.

Has anybody else tried to get one of these transmitters to bind to a DSMX receiver, who can debunk or confirm the above?

If you still have the receiver and GPS from the original model, it will probably work in the Storch.

Mencken

Thanks for the reply d8veh. My mini Apprentice is still in one piece so I don't want to remove any vital organs. I was assuming the DXe would bind to any DSMX rx but maybe not. The online manual is no help.

PoorManRC

Master member
Try looking online for used Radios....
There's a lot of people who got into this, spent the money up front, got a decent TX/RX, and after the first couple of crashes - QUIT!
You might find a deal on a not so used set.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

d8veh

Elite member
I was assuming the DXe would bind to any DSMX rx but maybe not. The online manual is no help.
I was hoping the same. I think I saw on a Youtube video that it's locked, but I can't remember for certain. It sort of makes sense because why else would there be two versions of the DXe? I only had the one DSMX receiver to try, but now I remember that I have a couple of Spektrum receivers with my DX7S, so I'll try them tonight.

d8veh

Elite member
Thanks for the input guys. I'm seriously thinking about a Taranis QX7.
Taranis is a great transmitter; however, the Open Tx operating system isn't easy for some people. If you're good at setting up stuff that needs programming, flashing, etc, you should be OK. Be prepared to watch a load of Youtube vids to figure out how it works.

Another option is the Jumper t12. I have both the Jumper and a Taranis Qx7S, but I use the Jumper all the time now, mainly because it's small enough and robust enough to chuck in my flight box. The Jumper is a bit cheaper than a Taranis, and it has the advantage of the JP 4in1 module, which can bind and work with all the cheap receivers. You can buy the module separately for about $40 and fit it in the Taranis, but then the price goes up by $40 - probably still worth it for the better transmitter if that's what you want; however, both transmitters fly the planes exactly the same!

Mencken

Taranis is a great transmitter; however, the Open Tx operating system isn't easy for some people. If you're good at setting up stuff that needs programming, flashing, etc, you should be OK. Be prepared to watch a load of Youtube vids to figure out how it works.

Another option is the Jumper t12. I have both the Jumper and a Taranis Qx7S, but I use the Jumper all the time now, mainly because it's small enough and robust enough to chuck in my flight box. The Jumper is a bit cheaper than a Taranis, and it has the advantage of the JP 4in1 module, which can bind and work with all the cheap receivers. You can buy the module separately for about $40 and fit it in the Taranis, but then the price goes up by $40 - probably still worth it for the better transmitter if that's what you want; however, both transmitters fly the planes exactly the same!
I've been watching videos on the Jumper. I have small hands so the size might be an advantage. But since it's Open TX the complexity would be the same as QX7. I'm not a computer geek but I can usually figure things out. Just to be clear, I'm only interested in slow-flying high-wing planes since they best capture the magic of flight. So I only need four channels although if I build the Storch
it would be nice to add lights.

d8veh

Elite member
Yes, the Jumper has Open Tx too, and it has more or less the same switches, so everything you do with it is identical to the Taranis. It looks and feels more like a toy compared with a Taranis, partly because it's smaller, but it works perfectly.