Tx range and fpv range?

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I have been flying my Bix 3 with fpv a bit lately and had a few questions.

I noticed that my fpv video starts to get a little broken and fuzzy at around 1,200 feet out at 200-300ft alt with a low noise floor, standard Fatshark spiral antennas, 2.4ghz, Fatshark 200mw tx and Fatshark goggles. Is that pretty good and normal for that range and open field (closed golf course)?

My other question is my Spektrum tx, DX8G2, What is the range on this? I know at 1,200 feet out at 300 feet altitude, is about as far as I can see line of site safely. I cant seem to find any info on Tx ranges.

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
So your flying with 2.4 video AND 2.4 spektrum? I would say that is your problem right there. I have gone out almost 3 miles on 2.4 video, but i was using 433 for control.

The reason i switched to 1.3 video is that everytime i had 2.4 video and flew with anybody that was using 2.4 for control, i could only fly out like a city block before i video started going nuts. The 2.4 channel hopping that most radios have just tears it up.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Hold on, my brain is fried. I am using a 5.8ghz Fatshark video Tx. Or imersion or whatever the Fat Shark Tx is...

I have some better anntennas, from IB crazy, but havnt tried them yet. Probably the 5.8 doesnt go that far and the noise floor may be higher than I think at this old golf course as the train tracks are very close. I dont have any devices to measure noise floor.

Last edited:

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Ok, look at the channel chart for your goggles and maybe choose a frequency as far away from the one you are using. Maybe there is some noise. You should beable to go a mile or so line of sight without anything in between you. Could be bad antenna.
http://www.maxmyrange.com/index.html

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
My other question is my Spektrum tx, DX8G2, What is the range on this? I know at 1,200 feet out at 300 feet altitude, is about as far as I can see line of site safely. I cant seem to find any info on Tx ranges.

There are too many variables involved for manufacturers to post accurate range ratings. Physical setup, noise floor, topography etc. all affect range. RSSI telemetry is the best way to know how your signal is doing, but I've heard that the Spektrum version in the newer race receivers works pretty well too.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I figured out why my video starts to get fuzzy around 1,200 feet out. The Bix 3 is a pusher, so the motor is on the back of the plane on top. My FPV antenna is on top of the plane in front, so when you start getting out there a ways, the motor will block the fpv antenna causing noise and blocking the signal. That is why when I turn the signal clears up. I was watching some old IB Crazy videos and he explained the phenomena perfectly. If I was super serious about fpv I might mount the antenna out on the wingtip and move some stuff around, but fpv is just for fun and I dont care all that much, I just wanted to know why.