Help! type of spry paint can be use for this foam board? Thanks

FDS

Elite member
You want to do thin coats, a mist coat for the primer, then very thin coats for the colour.
If you are using the brown FT foam it needs to be keyed with a fine sand paper or Scotchbrite pad before you paint on it.

Sampath

You want to do thin coats, a mist coat for the primer, then very thin coats for the colour.
If you are using the brown FT foam it needs to be keyed with a fine sand paper or Scotchbrite pad before you paint on it.
its not available in my country SRI LANKA. need to check for any online supplier. any other options if you get please let me know.
Also in my country KT foam board and Regi foam only available. Thanks

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
With most rattle cans it is not the paint that is the problem, it’s the solvents & propellents. The trick is to hold the can 18” away from the foam. This gives enough time for all of the nastiest to evaporate before they hit the foam. A coat of oil based polyurethane can also help protect the foam from damage.

It’s always a good idea to test a new product on a piece of scrap.

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
The foam board in your country is likely the paper type? It’s heavier than FT board, we have it too. As above any aerosol paint can melt the foam. Paint the exposed edges with PVA glue before painting. No need to sand or key the surface of the paper board, just light coats from 12-18” away.

Sampath

With most rattle cans it is not the paint that is the problem, it’s the solvents & propellents. The trick is to hold the can 18” away from the foam. This gives enough time for all of the nastiest to evaporate before they hit the foam. A coat of oil based polyurethane can also help protect the foam from damage.

Thanks for the help, My models are made up with KT foam and Styro foam, I tried with TOA spary it got melted. I will try with 18" away and see now. thanks

Sampath

The foam board in your country is likely the paper type? It’s heavier than FT board, we have it too. As above any aerosol paint can melt the foam. Paint the exposed edges with PVA glue before painting. No need to sand or key the surface of the paper board, just light coats from 12-18” away.

Thanks for the help, My models are made up with KT foam and Styro foam, I tried with TOA spary it got melted. I will try with 18" away and see now. thanks

Sampath

Spray paint call"molotow" this is made for styrofoam and all other boards. If someone is using please let me know.