U.S. SPACE WHAT!?!?!?! - MY MIND IS BLOWN!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
1583937686150.png

The founding Date seems aweful close to the FAA NPRM requiring Big Brother to start watching the skies. (and limiting our hobby)
I'm still flaberghasted by this.

This thread will be discussions more about it, and possibly inspirational information from which to build models.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
The space division of the US air force has been around for many many years. It's just defining it as the fourth armed service to separate it from the Air Force.
Cape Canaveral Air Force Station will soon become Cape Canaveral Space Force Station - nice ring to it I think

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Yup! On December 20, 2019, it had just become it's own individual branch. CCSFS I want to see the what America's Star fleet looks like.
While I understand it's military need, I find it a bit disappointing that it is more a space bullying Superiority Defense force for the country a less a unification of Humanity as an outward and safe guarding group. I know we haven't solved the planet-side needs to make an outward unified humanitarian force.

The lowest badge is in use... the rest are hypothesis.
USAF_-_Space_Professional_Badges.png

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Yup! On December 20, 2019, it had just become it's own individual branch. CCSFS I want to see the what America's Star fleet looks like.
While I understand it's military need, I find it a bit disappointing that it is more a space bullying Superiority Defense force for the country a less a unification of Humanity as an outward and safe guarding group. I know we haven't solved the planet-side needs to make an outward unified humanitarian force.

The lowest badge is in use... the rest are hypothesis.
USAF_-_Space_Professional_Badges.png
Eventually to become...
s-l640.jpg
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
space force for what. to make more pollution around the earth. we should ask all the countries that have lunch a rocket into space to please clean up their mess up there.
The animations in the vid are extremely misleading. If reality were to match the scale in the animation, the "fist" size objects would need to be bigger than a 3 story building. And, the larger objects would need to be incredibly huge.
I'm not saying debris isn't an issue, but it is, in no way, close to the animations.

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I relation to the space junk, it has always puzzled me as to why the space agencies are pumping the sky full of rare earths and high value metals without a single consideration of their recovery or their being recycled and yet our governments are getting somewhat anal on recycling of plastics and the like.

When the space shuttle was in operation they invariably landed with an empty cargo bay whereas for a little extra fuel and time they could have loaded up with space junk and brought the material back for recycling. Now the shuttle is out of service they have reverted to pumping even more space junk into orbit to save money!

I find it puzzling that they spend billions of dollars to pump more and more junk into orbit and then spend millions tracking it!

Confused by their lack of concern and zero accountability!

Namactual

Elite member
You guys are soooo glass half empty. You call it space junk, I call it our planetary defense system.

How else do you think we got our hands on all of that Roswell tech? Do you actually think that with all of the technology needed to traverse the cosmos they were shot down by our crappy warplanes?

Dats alllllllll dat space junk baby. Buck shot on a planetary scale.

Bring it, E.T.!

I almost forgot, wait until the Space Marines are an actual thing. :p

Last edited:

Namactual

Elite member
X-37
I don't see much changing other than the badging, but this is what I would start with. Unfortunately I do not see too many Space Fighters just yet.

Plenty of rockets in the works to pick from though.

Vimana89

Legendary member
The space junk thing is so true, but think of all the other ways money is spent/made on very wasteful things that just make you scratch your head, like how much food is produced just for half of it to perish in transit and even more to go to waste on the shelves while most of the world is poor and hungry. The money is in the process, not whether the end result of that process goes to waste or not, so as long as companies get paid to produce, who cares if it's actually feeding anyone or just rotting. I think it's a similar situation with the space junk, as long as people are getting payed to build stuff and launch it, and yet more are getting payed to track it and possibly clean it up, who cares if the net result is waste, entropy, and inefficiency:rolleyes:.

I'm not even going to go into all the reasons why the space force is such a space farce. I'll try and sum it up a bit without getting too tin-foily here. We somehow made it to the moon and back in the late 60's with old rockets and the computing power of a 90's digital wristwatch in the whole shebang, yet we haven't been back or farther since(?), now all of a sudden the plan is to throw up a bunch more junk in near-Earth orbit for militaristic purposes. It's a strategic plus in a lot of ways militarily, which makes me think that if they wanted such a "space force", it would have been something they'd have been working in secret since the cold war days, and they would already have it on the down low, and none of the assets or tech involved in it would be anything they would want made public. The whole thing seems like another waste of tax payer dollars at best, or like a front for other operations they've already been doing for decades.

Namactual

Elite member
If you think the space junk is bad now, wait until the next major peer to peer conflict. Every single satellite will be a thousand pieces of scrap.

As far as the 60's technology getting us to the moon, that is the result of the very few humans that are born with extreme intelligence. Everything amazing mankind has created throughout history can be attributed to a hand full of people. It is really no different than the atmospheric aircraft. They pretty much perfected atmospheric and space flight around the same time. Our computer power nowadays just makes it easier.

And easier does not make better.

Vimana89

Legendary member
If you think the space junk is bad now, wait until the next major peer to peer conflict. Every single satellite will be a thousand pieces of scrap.

As far as the 60's technology getting us to the moon, that is the result of the very few humans that are born with extreme intelligence. Everything amazing mankind has created throughout history can be attributed to a hand full of people. It is really no different than the atmospheric aircraft. They pretty much perfected atmospheric and space flight around the same time. Our computer power nowadays just makes it easier.

And easier does not make better.
Part of it is definitely intelligence and character related. I think more people than would be expected have the intelligence and character, but grow up in a cynical and limiting environment and do what they need to do to survive in a stupid society rather than pushing themselves to be above it. That's just human nature. Back then the attitude towards space and the future in general was a lot more optimistic and idealistic, even up into the 1990's. The tone changed to more stupidity, cynicism, and authoritarianism after 9/11 and I fear it has the potential to get even worse after this corona fiasco is over. You'd show somebody the jet hover board or jet man suit I've seen on YouTube in the 60-'s and they'd say "holy crap it took you till 2020 to make that happen and we still haven't been to Mars or back to the moon? We thought that stuff would be mainstream by 1999." Yes, if we had half the audacity and optimism of that era with our current technology things would look a lot different, but I fear the monkeys run the zoo, inmates run the asylum, etc.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Don't make me bust out my tinfoil hat about what passes for education nowadays...:p
You mean busy work, rote memory, regurgitation, and a complete lack of critical thinking? Ignoring individual skillsets and development for a "one size fits nobody" system where they force "fish to climb trees"? I did my middle school and high school years in the 2000's under the "no child left behind act" where they swamped me with worthless busy-work and crapped on my innate skills, critical thinking, etc. So I know exactly what you are talking about. No fancy STEM programs or anything suited to individual skillsets or critical thinking for sure. To be fair, it's probably a bit better and more options now than 10-20 years ago. A bit...:rolleyes:.