• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

UBEC wiring

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I got a couple of really cheap UBECs on ebay. Unlike other UBECs though, they have battery input wires that correspond to a Futaba type connector. I was confused at first, as I wasn't sure what to do with the third input wire (the white one). Doing a bit of Google research, it seems the white wire on Futaba type connectors is a signal wire. Therefore, this wire is redundant, right? The white wire on these UBECs goes straight through the UBEC's shrink wrap. I'm guessing I can remove the white wire altogether? Is that right?

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I think I follow you, my batteries an switches for my nitro planes use a similar connector I think, but they only have two wires. A picture would be worth a thousand words in this case.

fred0000

the white wire is not needed, you are correct. make sure to pull the red wire from the ESC's receiver plug when using an external BEC.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Yeah, I wasn't sure about that. The ESC doesn't have a built in BEC. Do I still need to disconnect the red wire?

Just done a bit more research. If you have an ESC with a BEC build in, you need to cut the red/orange (depending on brand) wire to make the UBEC work properly. However, if you have an OPTO ESC, you should not cut the red/orange wire.

Last edited: