Ubuntu, FTW!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
It finally happened after finding a great deal on a used 6 year old laptop with great specs and in really great condition. Picked it up only to find that not only did they upgrade it to W10, they wiped the factory restore partition preventing me from going back to W7. REALLY REALLY dislike W10, and seeing the writing on the wall that end of support for W7 is coming rapidly, decided to wipe it and go full blown Linux. Now I've been doing unix since long before linux was even conceived, so I'm not really working with any new skillsets. Played around with many flavors/distributions of linux over the years as well. Plenty of linux based appliances and Raspberry Pi builds as well. But for various reasons, this is really the first time I have really considered using it as my everyday OS for my primary system. After two weeks, I have absolutely NO regrets. I'm running the very latest version of Ubuntu 17.10. Installation was so incredibly fast and simple compared to all the hoops it used to take to set up linux. All my Chrome apps work (betaflight, cleanflight, KISSgui, MWOSD, BLHeli,etc...), my 3D printing software all works, and there are plenty of other tools to suit my needs as well. Also is a perfect development environment for my favorite FC firmware dRonin. So there it is. Stick a fork in Wx... it's done!

Cheers!
LitterBug

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Only still running Windows for VR. As openVR gets better, more games are supported.

I found W10 impossible due to it trashing my USB drivers every week. I still use W7 at work due to some 16 bit programs we still use. At work we are trying to get VS to work on Mint. Once that happens, don't just put a fork in Wx, twist it a few times! :)

rfd

AMA 51668
linux rules. period. don't much matter what version, either, though i've been a user and advocate since linux mint evolved from ubuntu. most anything is better than windows, but if i HAD to run windows (which i do, at times) it's win7 over win10, hands down. for those who were literally born with windows installed in their gray matter, loading mint or ubuntu as a dual boot on yer machine is a great way to realize why you don't need to actually buy a SUPERB operating system, or any excellent peripheral software for that matter. yep, it's all open source free. whoopee.

www.linuxmint.com

Last edited:

DKchris

I Agree, as do many others. And MS knows. Why else would they get into cahoots with SAP and likely soon more of the big time ERP vendors;)
They simply need help from the really big boys to chain and enslave the companies worldwide to Wx in the future. If they don't, they can expect to crash and burn in near future.

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Ha. Been doing SAP for 20 years. Worked for them for 7. Very small percentage are MS... Most unix/oracle. I know SAP hates Oracle, and hates that they have bolstered them with their install base...

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Pretty cool that you got all your hobby toys to work @litterbug.

I am using Linux Mint also, but I have not put any "pressure" on it to perform. I just use it like a super smartphone.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I used to be a gentoo guy but my old hardware just takes too long to compile everything I want to install. Also having to custom configure the kernel for every upgrade was a chore. Switched to fedora because everything at work is red hat enterprise and haven't looked back.

All hobby apps work great (betaflight gui, mwosd, blheli, opentx companion) sometimes with a bit more involved, such as with blhelisuite needing mono and opentx 2.2 companion not being built by the project with rpm packages anymore. That I need to build my own or use someone else's build https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/adelton/opentx-companion-2.2/

About the only thing I wouldn't be able to run would be the dji software for firmware upgrades if I went with that platform. Odd being that dji flight software is all linux and ROS based according to their dev site. So, yes if you are a dji owner, you're flying with linux.

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I was a Debian guy, and then a KDE/Kubuntu guy, and now I mostly run Mint.

I do keep a windows infection on one partition cause I haven't been able to get my vinyl cutter software or Simplify3D or AutoCAD running on Linux, and I don't feel like continuing to fuss at 'em with different WINE settings.

I mostly use Repetier/Cura and Draftsight anyway, but that vinyl cutter software keeps forcing me to boot that partition up every once in a while.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I was a Debian guy, and then a KDE/Kubuntu guy, and now I mostly run Mint.

I do keep a windows infection on one partition cause I haven't been able to get my vinyl cutter software or Simplify3D or AutoCAD running on Linux, and I don't feel like continuing to fuss at 'em with different WINE settings.

I mostly use Repetier/Cura and Draftsight anyway, but that vinyl cutter software keeps forcing me to boot that partition up every once in a while.

Hmmm. I'm running Simplify3D on ubuntu 17.10 with no issues. That was one of my first tests for viability.

LB

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I need to update my kernel then! It's been a few years... I think I'm on an earlier 17.x release, but I haven't had any problems so I haven't felt the need (or been forced) to upgrade :)

basslord1124

Master member
Been a Linux user since I was in college (little over 10 years ago). Been running a Debian file server for years now, haven't tinkered with it much in terms of desktop use for a little while. Should mess around with it again.

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
I was XP till 6 months ago, then straight to 10. I don't like it, and it took me 14 months of trying to get a APM to connect! (used zadig)

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I was XP till 6 months ago, then straight to 10. I don't like it, and it took me 14 months of trying to get a APM to connect! (used zadig)

Just wait until 10 wipes out Zadig with an 'upgrade'.... You'll really like it then.

Write down what you do to fix the USB issues. You may need them again and again and again.

rfd

AMA 51668
the ONLY worthwhile win os is version 7. from 8 up it was just a load of fluffy overlay junk added to justify calling it a 'new' os so MS can reap in more profits, with tons of 'features' that pretty much just add processing overhead that no one needs using. anyone want a copy of win 7 and sp1, pm or email me. however, linux mint is still king for the very most part - unless you need a good flight sim. :) running win7 alongside mint in a dual boot is a viable way to go, and one decent machine can do it all. the added beauty of mint is that for the very most part, no special or added drivers are needed for anything - LAN. wifi, display, audio, touchpads, etc etc etc, and the productivity apps are killer, with an supplied office suite that works with MS office. oh yeah, mint is ... FREE.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
anyone want a copy of win 7 and sp1, pm or email me.

I have a Win 10 machine and a triple boot Win 7/10 and Mint machine. Getting Steam VR working on Mint was challenging at the beginning but Mint is quickly becoming my OS of choice.

However, I do think you should consider editing that sentence on your post particularly since you have an AMA registration number in your profile. Pirates don't get much sympathy here as a lot of us (myself included) write software for a living. :)

Last edited:

rfd

AMA 51668
I have a Win 10 machine and a triple boot Win 7/10 and Mint machine. Getting Steam VR working on Mint was challenging at the beginning but Mint is quickly becoming my OS of choice.

However, I do think you should consider editing that sentence on your post particularly since you have an AMA registration number in your profile. Pirates don't get much sympathy here as a lot of us (myself included) write software for a living. :)

as a looong time software/firmware programmer who worked with bell labs arpanet before it became "the internet", and as the programmer who wrote the ISDN provisioning code for the northeast telcos, i admire your piracy concerns. however, i think we're both mistook with the word "copy", which in this case is a pair of original MS licensed copies of win7/sp1 that i received via that master pirate himself, billy boy. as we all know, all software is a "copy". so, no piracy on my part, just looking to share for free.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
... <snip>...with the word "copy",..<snip>...

rfd,
This is not the place to promote such copying (aka piracy).... Please remove these references or the moderators will.

Regards,
LitterBug

Last edited:

rfd

AMA 51668
rfd,
This is not the place to promote such copying (aka piracy).... Please remove these references or the moderators will.

Regards,
LitterBug

i can understand the confusion over the semantics of the word "copy". all software is copied, even the legal stuff.

and yet again ... they are LICENSED copies of win7/sp1 that i obtained many many years ago, legally.

in the spirit of FT brotherhood i was offering them for FREE.