Ubuntu, FTW!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
If they are legit individual licenses, and not a corporate license, than that is cool and thanks for the offer. I still run W7 on my older boxes, but anything new, I am just going straight to linux. Have not played with Mint, but after hearing all the positive thoughts on it, I'll give it a try. Need to look for something debian based for this sillly KISS gui for the V2 FC too.

Cheers!
LitterBug

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Looks like the mods stepped in and blew both posts away. I was going to delete mine anyway if an edit was made.

Thanks mods. :)

Thank you too rfd for the offer.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Might have to spend some Skype time with LB and set up a partition for mint as he learns it so I can get away from windows. I just opened up my browser to see what was going on in the world and maybe check for messages here when I opened up a news article and one of those google ads they never check tossed up another one of them bright red flashing pages "Don't close this browser or leave this page your passwords and all that nonsense are at risk.. HERE press THIS button to learn more about what to do"...

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Might have to spend some Skype time with LB and set up a partition for mint as he learns it so I can get away from windows. I just opened up my browser to see what was going on in the world and maybe check for messages here when I opened up a news article and one of those google ads they never check tossed up another one of them bright red flashing pages "Don't close this browser or leave this page your passwords and all that nonsense are at risk.. HERE press THIS button to learn more about what to do"...

PsyBorg,
The beauty of most linux distributions, is that you can run a "live image" from a DVD or Flash drive, play around with it, and see how you like it before even messing with the partitioning.

Cheers!
LitterBug

rfd

AMA 51668

the first rule of the cyber age we all just passed into in this new millennium is, never trust anything about the internet or email. just as i get weekly emails attempting to sell me viagara and russian brides weekly from ME, never ever trust stuff that comes from you, too. there's a lot to learn about cyber space, no one knows it all, some know less than others, and it's morphing all the time.

rfd

AMA 51668
rfd,
This is not the place to promote such copying (aka piracy).... Please remove these references or the moderators will.

Regards,
LitterBug

such a dire publicly posted warning that automatically assumes i'm guilty?

geez, are you really a "troll spammer" living up to yer monicker?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@Lb... I have mint already and have at times messed with it. I even tried to set up a full system but just finding and setting up drivers for base hardware reliably has eluded me for a full base set up so far.

@rfd I am fully aware of how nasty the internet is. I am one of the more cautious people using it. I don't let anything have internet access I do not approve first, I never run any third party software like many do. Heck I was even super leary to run Zadig for drivers for a long time. I am not paranoid enough nor care to do all that VPN stuff to hide on the interwebs but it seems its getting to the point you HAVE to go full on black ops just to read the friggen news of the day lately.

rfd

AMA 51668
messing with the internet isn't all that bad if you observe basic caution. if yer hardwired to yer router (LAN) yer at less of a risk than if yer router allows a WIFI connection, but ANY connection you make to the internet is an invitation to hackers, email scammers and email spammers. there are specific cautions to observe for each of those three nasties. it's all about knowledge.

the main target is always microsoft machines, particularly if outpost email is used (the worst email app ever created) . anything MS is a bad guy's wet dream for doing bad stuff to everyone. apple and linux operating systems are based on the unix kernal, are too few to become hacker targets, are much harder to crack, and virus software isn't really necessary as it is with MS machines.

when i have a need to run a windows machine, it's never LAN or WIFI plugged into the net.

get smart, get linux (mint)!

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I never know what to do with those phishing emails I get from my mail client, pine. Most have weird urls that are just too cumbersome to write down and retype into my elinks browser. If I get fancy I'll run startx and load up trusty old ncsa mosaic to be able to copy and paste them with the mouse middle button, but that client rarely renders those pages. Something about JavaScript.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
i don't understand yer hesitation to just delete anything suspicious?

most likely too much time on my hands. It's a side hobby to troll the spammers and apt28/29 (the twin bears). Their databases have more than a few Bart Simpson's, Lo Wing Jet (an homage to my heritage) and a few other fun/pun names. They all have passwords involving the word poop.

rfd

AMA 51668
most likely too much time on my hands. It's a side hobby to troll the spammers and apt28/29 (the twin bears). Their databases have more than a few Bart Simpson's, Lo Wing Jet (an homage to my heritage) and a few other fun/pun names. They all have passwords involving the word poop.

ah ... are you also a player at 419eater? oh what fun ... :)

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
the main target is always microsoft machines, particularly if outpost email is used (the worst email app ever created) . anything MS is a bad guy's wet dream for doing bad stuff to everyone. apple and linux operating systems are based on the unix kernal, are too few to become hacker targets, are much harder to crack, and virus software isn't really necessary as it is with MS machines.
Good point. Accessing email and other things from a VPN connected Linux connection is close to the best a regular person can pull off. Security wise.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
ah ... are you also a player at 419eater? oh what fun ... :)

I probably should, but I'm more of a lone wolf. Even now, I wish I could catch another one of those IRS scam callers. I was not terribly creative the last time I got one of those calls. I humored the guy until he started talking about payment options at which point I said I'm a bit cash light at the moment, and all my credit cards are overdrawn, but while we were chatting, an email popped in my box from a banker in Nigeria who told me I had some money coming to me from a long lost and recently deceased uncle. My parting words werre "I'll just send his contact details and let you take all of it so long as you sort it out among yourselves."

I feel like I could have had much more fun with that... speaking of linux, I did have a fellow call me while I was on my computer telling me I was infected with a malware. He could go online and fix it for me. I happened to have a KVM guest Windows OS running under my linux host (Gentoo at the time) where I had copies of the VM saved, so I fired it up, followed his directions and allowed him to control the system with one of the free random remote desktop/screen sharing apps/services. It was a stock Win7 install with no third party apps, no regular online use, so it was interesting when he ran his supposed virus scan (Windows explorer find) and came up with some cryptically named DLL and said this one is a known malware and even pulled up a CERT article that referenced the filename. They then offered to fix it with some security software he could install and run, for a fee. Anyway, all that time, while he was running his checks, I had a separate shell opened and started messing with the KVM process, changing the nice on it to lower its priority, running CPU and HDD intensive stuff to slow down his search etc. He kept remarking on the phone that "wow, you have a very slow computer" and "it seems to be stuck" this went on over an hour and all the while, I kept talking with small talk about his life asking if he had pets, what his favorite foods were, is he married or dating, does he have brothers, sisters, etc. because things were going so slow. Anyway, by the time he got to the point about selling the software and installing it for me, I asked him, how long it would take to install it on my slow computer ... at which point, there was silence, and then he came back after realizing it would probably take another hour+ and said, yes, maybe it's not worth doing this on this computer. I almost felt bad for him... almost.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Whats even more fun if you have cleaned or quarantined files (all 127 of them) that are viruses is to zip them up in a self extracting file. Then when your antivirus / firewall nags you some one is scanning you or trying to get into your system you casually share the folder where you placed said file named conveniently Naked.zip and start the stop watch to see how long before the intrusion attempts stop.

basslord1124

Master member
I was XP till 6 months ago, then straight to 10. I don't like it, and it took me 14 months of trying to get a APM to connect! (used zadig)

I like 10 much better than 8. I actually still have a desktop running XP at the house. It's a computer I mainly used to record music on (I play bass, guitar, and attempt to sing). I've been meaning to give it a decent hardware upgrade and of course an OS upgrade but I seem to lack finances and time. Maybe someday I'll get it updated...it's not a super crucial computer anyways.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Last time the 'Microsoft' guy called telling me they had detected a problem, I told him to hang on, put him on speaker phone and dialed up p*rnhub. He hung up after a few minutes of that...

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Ha, the " windoze support " guy is very patient. I strung him on over 20 minutes once while out mowing the lawn.