Ugh I'm building another mini-arrow

Brett_N

Not that I don't like the mini-arrow, but why did I start to build another wing?

Oh - cause I had a 40A ESC paired to the new emax 2306 2750KV motor laying on my workbench, a pair of crusty old MG90 servo's, and 2 sheet's of DTFB handy

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Just over 1.1Kg - yes 1100g of thrust for the poor little rocket arrow.

Target AUW will be around 300g. I build really light using carpenters glue instead of HG.

I better find some carbon fiber.

Attachments

• RS2306-2750KV Thrust PDF.pdf
    66.6 KB · Views: 0

KSP_CPA

I know you said you like to build light but since you can probably fly this at ludicrous speed, you could fill the empty wing space with polyurethane insulating spray foam which would add a tremendous amount of strength. I heard about that at Flite Fest a few weeks back for someone who was trying to reinforce his combat wing. I'm curious to try that on my next one...

Brett_N

4S if I can get it to fit in the fuze. It's 40A @ 12V, so a 4S will give me just over 1300g of thrust if I'm doing the math right.

I may re-wire it for 6S if I can find a different ESC in the junk bin but the current goes to something crazy like 60A. I'll have to run 2x 3S 1000mah packs for a 6S though, none of my big 6S will fit.

I have tried poly foam filling before. On the mini-arrow, there's very little gap in the wing anyway and the spars take up a good chunk of that. I have some curved, flat CF that I'm going to try and use. I've never had a mini-arrow come apart at the wings, they always shear right down the middle so strenghtening the middle of the fuse is going to be the goal.

I did use poly foam on one of my SeaDuck builds in the fuze, but then the hot glue on the wings came undone, so it was a lost cause anyway. And now you know why I don't use HG anymore :LOL:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
emax reports the little 2306-2750kv with a 5x5 and a 4S battery will crank out 1750g of thrust @ almost 60amps and 880w.

i just put one on my high speed goblin after toasting the previous motor.

i am going to trust their numbers and hope that the motor can handle the 880 watts of power without getting fried. pretty sure that is what happened to my last motor.

good luck,

me :cool:

Attachments

• RS2306-2750KV Thrust PDF (2).pdf
    66.6 KB · Views: 0

Brett_N

LOL - I didn't realize there was a page 2 on that PDF :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I don't have a spare 60A controller so 3S is all it's gonna be. My ESC is 4S capable, but I don't think it will last too long

Brett_N

MRJ - just a heads up, mine just smoked with no load testing on a 4S and hard limited to 30A after burping the throttle. Wasn't on it for more than 3 seconds. No Bueno...:unsure: and motor is REALLY hot. (even smells)

ESC is cool to the touch, pulled everything apart and it's definitely the motor.

Think EMAX is blowing smoke.

Still works on 3S....but damnit I just cut the fuze for a 4S battery.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
interesting. :unsure:

i also got my motor installed on the Gremlin yesterday and did a spin test. i did not put it on my amp/watt meter but did spin it up pretty good.

i am using a 2306-2750kv w/ 5x5 prop, 60A esc, and a 4S-2200 and it did just fine. no motor heat, no esc issues, so hopefully it will fly. i guess we will find out saturday?

not sure why you got so much heat? maybe a bad motor from the start? what do the copper coils look like? are the brown and burnt looking?

i will report back once i either fly or die. :LOL:

laters,

Captain Video

Sound like I need to get a Radial motor for our next Goblin build and a 60 amp esc for a 4S battery so we can achieve "Ludicrous Speed!

Brett_N

LOL - I just printed the goblin plans. We'll see how this motor works on the arrow, but it may end up on the Goblin.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
my old Goblin was using a BrotherHobby 2507-2450kv with same ESC and battery but was swinging a 6x45 BN prop. I think it was the prop that killed it, just a touch too much...

but, it was very fast for many flights before it died.

if you can get an Arrow to fly this fast you will have a very fun little wing!

laters,

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
ok, so maybe you were right....

launched the goblin today and it took about 5 secs before the motor went pop, and i was gliding my way back to the field. on inspection the motor was smoked, wires melted, and smelled like an electrical fire.

so, i guess Emax is full of .... with their numbers. was expecting a little more from a company like them. save yourself the pain and do not use this on the goblin.

laters,

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
firewall is charred, coils are black, and most of the wire insulation has been toasted. :sneaky:

20190817_143348.jpg

not sure what i am going to use now. :unsure:

Brett_N

Yikes

I tested mine on a 3S and it still runs. But we just got hit with noise restrictions so no more rear mounted motors. Guess mine will go int he parts pile for a while. Maybe a mini-mustang or somthing.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
... we just got hit with noise restrictions so no more rear mounted motors.

what? who did that? maybe time to find a new field. i have a huge amount of pushers and prop in slots, i would be pissed if i was told i could not fly them anymore.

sorry to hear that,

Brett_N

what? who did that? maybe time to find a new field. i have a huge amount of pushers and prop in slots, i would be pissed if i was told i could not fly them anymore.

sorry to hear that,

no kidding. But, the neighbors don't like us flying weed-whackers at 6am for some reason. OUr park is directly in the middle of a neighborhood and maintained by the city (so, it's free, and no AMA restrictions...) gotta play nice and keep the field.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I have a Versa with a 1000kva motor and an 8x6 - could I put a 2200kva onto it with 8x6 cut down to 6x6?
Make sure you balance it before putting it on your plane, an unbalanced prop is very inefficient, puts tremendous strain on the internal bearings, and can shake parts of your plane loose.