Ugly 3D - what the heck is this?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Well guys, I finished up the adjustments and have this ugly thing ready for another go. I wasn't able to adjust the motor mount to give down thrust like I thought it would, so I put a couple washers between it and the firewall to tilt the whole thing down. And I finished peeling the covering off the winglets and hit them with a coat of bright purple paint to keep it looking "stock" :LOL:

IMG_20191126_171911-1024x768.jpg

Here she is hanging from light cords over the garage door rails. If I ever want to use the garage door again it will take me days to move everything :rolleyes:

mayan

Legendary member
Well guys, I finished up the adjustments and have this ugly thing ready for another go. I wasn't able to adjust the motor mount to give down thrust like I thought it would, so I put a couple washers between it and the firewall to tilt the whole thing down. And I finished peeling the covering off the winglets and hit them with a coat of bright purple paint to keep it looking "stock" :LOL:

View attachment 149215
Here she is hanging from light cords over the garage door rails. If I ever want to use the garage door again it will take me days to move everything :rolleyes:
LOL. Looking good in purple.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Update: I took her out for a couple flights back in March, and doinked her in pretty hard on a landing, tearing out the landing gear bolts. I repaired that and she hung in the workshop until yesterday when I took her out flying again. When I started to taxi out into the runway, it started to make a loud rattling sound when throttling up, and then the whole motor bell and prop flew off! :poop:

Close examination showed the motor shaft broke at the rear c-clip which I've never seen before! o_O Must have been damage from the landing / nose over that took out the landing gear. The bearings aren't running straight anymore either, and the motor grinds badly when I try to spin it, so this one is going to be dismantled for hatch magnets.

Time to search for another cheap motor that will swing a 12x6 prop around 1450kv on 3 cells... anyone have a favorite to suggest?

Chuppster

Update: I took her out for a couple flights back in March, and doinked her in pretty hard on a landing, tearing out the landing gear bolts. I repaired that and she hung in the workshop until yesterday when I took her out flying again. When I started to taxi out into the runway, it started to make a loud rattling sound when throttling up, and then the whole motor bell and prop flew off! :poop:

Close examination showed the motor shaft broke at the rear c-clip which I've never seen before! o_O Must have been damage from the landing / nose over that took out the landing gear. The bearings aren't running straight anymore either, and the motor grinds badly when I try to spin it, so this one is going to be dismantled for hatch magnets.

Time to search for another cheap motor that will swing a 12x6 prop around 1450kv on 3 cells... anyone have a favorite to suggest?

You sure you don't want to go 4-cell? I'm a big fan of the NTM propdrive motors. They have a 3542 1250KV.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/propdri...825&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Hmm.... I do have a couple 4 cell batteries that I could put into service for this - any idea what size prop that NTM should be turning? My google-fu is weak today and I'm not finding an easy answer...

Thanks,