Ugly Bug by Stevens Aero

Turbojoe

Elite member
You can add ailerons to just about anything. You could either cut into the wing or add them to the trailing edge. There's an awful lot of dihedral in that deign. I'd cut it way down for ailerons. Maybe 3-5 degrees tops. I just added ailerons and flaps to my Mini Telemaster I'm finishing up. I didn't do a build thread but rockyboy did one here on his. LINK He did a great job showing exactly how he did his. This is a popular mod for the Mini Telemaster.

Joe

Dazzy

You can add ailerons to just about anything. You could either cut into the wing or add them to the trailing edge. There's an awful lot of dihedral in that deign. I'd cut it way down for ailerons. Maybe 3-5 degrees tops. I just added ailerons and flaps to my Mini Telemaster I'm finishing up. I didn't do a build thread but rockyboy did one here on his. LINK He did a great job showing exactly how he did his. This is a popular mod for the Mini Telemaster.

Joe

Thanks Joe for the tips and heads up, crikey you guys are really easy to work with. 🎯

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Steven's kits are great quality and design - I definitely recommend them. I think I might have that Ugly Bug kit sitting in my workshop too. :D

Also, Joe is spot on with the dihedral advice - lots of dihedral is necessary for rudder/elevator only to be able to return to level flight after a turn, but it just gets in the way for aileron control.

Dazzy

Steven's kits are great quality and design - I definitely recommend them. I think I might have that Ugly Bug kit sitting in my workshop too. :D

Also, Joe is spot on with the dihedral advice - lots of dihedral is necessary for rudder/elevator only to be able to return to level flight after a turn, but it just gets in the way for aileron control.

Hey @rockyboy any chance you could post a pic of your Ugly Bug?

Turbojoe

Elite member
That Ugly Bug looks like a redo of the old Lee Renaud S-Tee that even Willy Nilles is now kitting in a super lightweight small field friendly version. HERE.

Joe

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Hey @rockyboy any chance you could post a pic of your Ugly Bug?

I thought I had the kit in the workshop pile but it turns out I don't have a kit for that one - just the plans that were published in the of Balsa Builder magazine he used to produce. But I have built several of Steven's kits and they have all been of excellent quality - with really good instructions too!

Turbojoe

Elite member
Not criticizing Steven's Aero but the prices prove what a bargain Willy Nillies kits are. You can get a similar airplane kit with ailerons for half the price.

I have to agree. Stevens has some nice kits but their high prices are what have continually driven me away over the years. Mountain Models and Willy Nilles provide much more bang for the buck in my opinion.

Joe

Dazzy

I have to agree. Stevens has some nice kits but their high prices are what have continually driven me away over the years. Mountain Models and Willy Nilles provide much more bang for the buck in my opinion.

Joe

Hey @Turbojoe Ive sent 2 emails that have gone unanswered to Willy Nillies and I guess thats the reason Im looking at Stevens Aero. Agree the prices are poles apart, for me the important aspect is quality cut parts and design.

Im looking to build around 36" whereas the largest I found on WN is the 27" Falcon or thereabouts size wise.

OliverW

Legendary member
Hey @Turbojoe Ive sent 2 emails that have gone unanswered to Willy Nillies and I guess thats the reason Im looking at Stevens Aero. Agree the prices are poles apart, for me the important aspect is quality cut parts and design.

Im looking to build around 36" whereas the largest I found on WN is the 27" Falcon or thereabouts size wise.
They've got a 50" gentle lady glider coming out soon

Turbojoe

Elite member

Very unusual for Doug not to respond. I wonder if he is out of town on business? He usually haunts this forum too. If you absolutely MUST HAVE a 36" bird then look at the Mountain Models SwitchBack for only $60.00 complete with ALL name brand hardware. My favorite kit of all time. I've lost count how many I've built/still own.

Joe

Dazzy

@Willy Nillies Please read the above posts, Id like to order from you but my emails have never been answered. I did use your online contact form, this maybe the culprit.

TooJung2Die

Master member
@Willy Nillies Please read the above posts, Id like to order from you but my emails have never been answered. I did use your online contact form, this maybe the culprit.
I called Doug at Willy Nillies and I rarely call merchants. He answered and we had a nice chat. Don't be shy, try calling their number.
(309) 648-0449, Central time.

Willy Nillies

Elite member
@Dazzy , we're very sorry we haven't responded to your emails, we're pretty good about answering emails. You can try to email us directly at douglas@willynillies.com if you like, then post here that you sent an email.

Hopefully your email address is not getting flagged as spam or something and not making it to us.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor

Joe

I think that's mostly because Doug is giving his stuff away! :p

IMHO, Brian's kit prices are quite good, but the electronics are all priced as if they are newly released technology. Bill's stuff seems a little high until you try to balance the company books and pay yourself minimum wage. (Not that I've looked at his books in particular, but am I very familiar with running small businesses - and especially seeing them into the ground.)

I don't begrudge any of these US based companies charging a fair price to make a living. In my experience chasing the absolute cheapest price is what drove manufacturing out of the US and quality down the tubes. Yet I still find myself guilty of doing the same thing all too often.

And at this point I need to apologize to the OP here for taking this thread on a very weird side trip.

Willy Nillies

Elite member
Thanks guys for all your help, Im gunna order the J3 Cub from @Willy Nillies including extra parts. Just emailing them know.

Hey Dazzy,

We've checked our email several times, spam folder, trash folder and don't see anything. We've received quite a few emails today but we don't think from you. They were all builder questions of existing kits.....

Doug is available to talk on the phone tonight and most of Wednesday and Thursday if you want to call. Phone number 309-648-0449 If we don't answer, please leave a message with call back number and a good time to call back.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com