• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Ugly-EZ: Long-EZ scaled 132% to fit B motor pack

DutchRoll

Well-known member
#1
As I have previously mentioned in other threads, I had a less than successful time building the Simple Soarer from kit, leaving me with paper-cuts, heart-break, and a unused B motor pack. What I did have success with though was building a Long-EZ from plans as a chuck glider, which flew successfully about 15 times before it hit a post and the left wing ripped off. So I figured I might as well build a Long-EZ scaled up 132% to accept the B-Pack, and reinforce it to survive all the posts it could hit here on my family farm.

I'm also playing just a bit with the design, adding simple step airfoils and moving the elevators forward to the carnards. Nothing that hasn't been done before, I'm sure, but it makes me happy.
 

DutchRoll

Well-known member
#3
First cut - The wings and canard "plate" if you will. The elevators are propped up for the photo by 1-2-3 blocks. Both the wings and the canard are reinforced with bamboo skewers in the folds of the leading edges. The left over bits at the end of the wings will be cut down for mounting tabs for the winglet rudders.

It took a full sheet of Adams board to cut out. The Adams foam board had a tendency to form pills in the seams as I was cutting it, which wasn't a problem I had making FUGLY with the Ross foam board from Wallymart. I wonder if that was just that board, or if it's a chemistry issue with the foam. The knife was fresh and sharp, so that wasn't the problem. I eventually figured out that I had to make three slow passes with the blade to minimize the pilling in the cut.

I also noticed that the prop didn't want to fit backwards on the motor, stopping half way down, so I guess I will have to ream it to fit the shaft.
_FirstCut.jpg
 

The Hangar

Well-known member
#4
I'm thinking about doing a similar project in the near future. Try a new blade. I bought a 50 pack at walmart for like $8 and when one starts to ball the foam, I get a new one. I do at least 2 passes, sometimes three as well. Good luck and I'll be following this build. :)
 

DutchRoll

Well-known member
#8
I'm at the point where i need to calculate servo positions, especially for the elevators, and I realized i needed a transmitter, receiver, and a battery to test it all, so i bought all that tonight.
 

DutchRoll

Well-known member
#11
A test fit of the electronics. The idea is the upper fuselage will clamshell over the power pod with some retaining lips riding down over the lower, making it so that it's easier for me to get the electronics in and out. As it stands now, I barely have an inch of slack between the ESC and the battery.

ElectronicsTestFit.jpg
 

DutchRoll

Well-known member
#12
I figured out what was going on with my pill problem. I was using one of the snap blade box cutters to cut, and when I snapped the dull bit off, it doens't snap at a point on the tip, but square to the edge. So when I cut at an angle, that little bit of square is enough to start riding up on the foam before my downward pressure forces it back down, and I get pills.

I've since switched to the non-snapoff blades, and my cuts are better now.
 

DutchRoll

Well-known member
#15
I also glued and taped some open cell black packing foam in the nose to hold the battery up forward, tucked between the nose and the canard.
Hopefully this will cushion the battery when I crash this darn thing.

BatterySpace.jpg BatteryIn.jpg BatteryFoam.jpg
 

DutchRoll

Well-known member
#17
Continuing with the build, I bashed together the clam-shell. I mocked up a template after taking some measurements, and cut it from black Adams foam board. It's glued together as a B-fold.

I'm getting concerned with weight gain (I really like fiber tape), so I just make enough of a clam-shell to lock the pod in place. It also makes a nifty cockpit - kinda has an orca feel to it.

Clamshellopen.jpg Clamshellclosed.jpg
 

The Hangar

Well-known member
#18
Continuing with the build, I bashed together the clam-shell. I mocked up a template after taking some measurements, and cut it from black Adams foam board. It's glued together as a B-fold.

I'm getting concerned with weight gain (I really like fiber tape), so I just make enough of a clam-shell to lock the pod in place. It also makes a nifty cockpit - kinda has an orca feel to it.

View attachment 155234 View attachment 155235
Looks good!