• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Ugly Wonder - Build

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
SWAPPABLE - UGLY WONDER

2015-02-13 22.49.46.jpg

DESCRIPTION

The Ugly Wonder is another variation of the FT Bloody Wonder. If you have seen the build thread or the article for the Bloody Wonder MkIII, you probably already know that I'm a huge Bloody Wonder fan. I have built, flown and destroyed more of them than I care to count. Flying combat is one of my favorite things to do in the hobby. I'm lucky to have a son, brother and nephew to fly combat with from time-to-time. I always thought that it would be cool to have some different looking combat planes in the skies together. So, I started playing around with the design of the FT Bloody Wonder.

My first design was the Bloody Wonder MkIII. The MkIII to me, is really just an evolution of an already great design. I wanted to keep the same basic look and flight characteristics, but add some features to make it stronger, yet easier to build. Designing the fuselage and construction technique for the MkIII opened the door for what I was really after in the first place, a Bloody Wonder, with a whole new look.

DPS Ugly Wonder B4.png

For my second plane design, I give you the Ugly Wonder. The best way to describe it is a mash-up of a Bloody Wonder, FunBat, and an Ugly Stick. In this design, there is nothing left of the original FT Bloody Wonder. Oh, don't get me wrong, you can still see a Bloody Wonder lurking in there, but every piece of this plane has been modified to give it a vintage WWI era look. The wing area is slightly larger, and the surface area of the vertical stabilizers has been reduced, which should make it an even more maneuverable combat ship. The redesigned vertical stabilizers still allow for vertical take-offs as well.

2015-01-28 23.05.49.jpg

DETAILS

3 Views and Isometric view of the 3D model
DPS Ugly Wonder 3 View & ISO.png

PLANS

Ugly Wonder v1.0

SPECIFICATIONS

WINGSPAN:

29 IN

LENGTH:

24 IN

WING AREA:

236.5 SQ IN

WEIGHT (AIRFRAME):

6.56 ounces

CHANNELS:

CONTROLS:

AILERON, ELEVATOR, THROTTLE

ELECTRONICS

SERVOS:

2 X 9g (hekTronix HXT900)

Combat Setup

PROPELLER:

8X6 APC

MOTOR:

NTM PropDrive 2826 1200kv

ESC:

Turnigy Plush 25amp

BATTERY:

1000-2200 mah 3S

Basic Setup

PROPELLER:

9x4.7 Slow Fly

MOTOR:

hekTronix 24gram 1300kv

ESC:

Turnigy Plush 12amp

BATTERY:

500-1300 mah 3S

Flight Video

BUILD LOG

Once you have your plans printed, get you parts cut out according to the plans and lets get started building the UGLY!

2014-12-17 22.26.23.jpg
Fuselage Construction

Parts needed:
<02> Fuselage
<03> Fuselage Doubler X2

We'll start by assembling the fuselage, part number <02> on your plans. If you've built my Bloody Wonder MkIII, then this should feel very familiar to you. In fact, the fuselage for the Ugly Wonder is identical to the MkIII's.

1) Glue the C-Fold at the nose of the Fuselage. Try to avoid gluing over the score cuts for the dowels. Make sure everything is squared up so the fuselage sides fold up perpendicular to the top plate.

2014-12-29 19.34.57.jpg

2014-12-29 19.35.53.jpg

2) Glue the B-Folds for the fuselage sides one at-a-time. I like to use the edge of the table to square up the fuselage with the tabs that will protrude from the top. Make sure that your sides are perpendicular to the top plate. Repeat for other side.

2014-12-29 19.36.38.jpg

2014-12-29 19.39.20.jpg

3) Next get out your fuselage doublers, part number <03> on your plans. Ensure the doublers will fit snugly in the fuselage by lining up the notch in the doubler with the C-Fold in the fuselage. After checking for a proper fit, glue the doublers in place one at-a-time.

2014-12-29 19.48.40.jpg

2014-12-29 19.52.30.jpg

4) Lightly crease the score cut for the NACA cooling duct on the inside of the top plate of the fuselage. Apply a light bead of hot glue in the gap and fold the NACA duct down about 15-20° to the inside of the fuselage.

2014-12-29 20.01.54.jpg

2014-12-29 20.07.43.jpg

Your completed fuselage should look like this

2014-12-29 20.07.24.jpg

Wing Construction

Parts needed:
<06> Wing
<07> Wing Spar

1) Cut the double 45° bevel along the score cut in the center of the wing, part number <06> on your plans.

2) Cut the single 45° bevels for each of the ailerons.

3) Remove the foam from the inside of the cavities for the spar tabs leaving the paper on the outside surface of the bottom of the wing. Note, you can choose to cut the openings all the way through, I just prefer the cleaner look you get by making the cavity.

4) Either crease at the indicated crease lines, or remove the paper in shaded section of the wing according to your preference for how you want the wing to look. I've been removing the paper from the inside of mine for a smoother looking airfoil.

Your wing should look similar to the following image at this point.

2014-12-29 19.08.15.jpg

5) Score cut your spar, part number <07> on your plans, and fold it in half to establish the crease.

6) Apply glue to the inside of the fold and glue the two halves together.

2014-12-29 19.09.27.jpg

2014-12-29 19.13.08.jpg

7) Apply glue along the edge of the spar with the tabs and attach the spar to the wing by placing the tabs in the spar cavities.

2014-12-29 19.16.11.jpg

8) Carefully test folding your wing and make sure that there is a slight gap between the bottom plate and the ailerons to allow proper deflection of the control surfaces.

2014-12-29 19.22.23.jpg

9) Once you are happy with the wing shape, open the wing back up and apply glue along the double bevel groove, the top of the spar, and the trailing edge of the bottom plate. Then carefully fold your wing and apply pressure for enough time to let the hot glue properly cool.

Your finished wing should look like this.

2014-12-29 19.31.14.jpg

Notice the smooth airfoil created by removing the paper from the inside of the wing as noted on the plans.

2014-12-29 19.31.28.jpg

Horizontal & Vertical Stabilizers

Parts needed:
<04> Vertical Stabilizer X2
<05> Horizontal Stabilizer

1) Remove foam for cavities in the vertical stabilizers, part number <04> on your plans.

2014-12-29 18.56.58.jpg

2) Cut the single 45° bevel for the elevator in the horizontal stabilizer, part number <05> on your plans.

3) Remove foam for the cavities in the horizontal stabilizer.

Final Assembly

ADDITIONAL IMAGES

Adversaries!

2015-02-15 14.23.32.jpg

Here is the Ugly Wonder alongside the Bloody Wonder MkIII, and the Bloody Baron.

Tre Combat.jpg

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Not exactly. I did fly one similar to this last fall, albeit with a different fuselage. There are a couple of pics and comments on that one here. That one flew very much like the FT Bloody Wonder. The wing, and horizontal stabilizer are identical to the Ugly Wonder. The vertical stabilizers are slightly larger to provide roughly the same surface area as the FT Bloody Wonder.

Unfortunately, the maiden for this one may have to wait until next season. The weather here in WI is quickly turning sour for flying outdoors. Good thing my FT Mighty Minis came in the mail today :). I will continue with this design and post some beta plans soon if anyone wants to try it out a give feedback. It's a great fit for anyone who loves flying the FT Bloody Wonder but wants one with a slightly different look. The fuselage is the same as my Bloody Wonder MkIII and my Bloody Baron that will be released by Flite Test in the near future.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Looks good so far. I like the post layout also :)
Thanks nerdnic. I looked at a lot of other build threads to see what works and what I liked. I was definitely influenced by yours and Flite Tests. Your builds are awesome. I have a request for you, make a Mighty Mini version of your nnChipmunk for indoor flying. :)

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Thanks nerdnic. I looked at a lot of other build threads to see what works and what I liked. I was definitely influenced by yours and Flite Tests. Your builds are awesome. I have a request for you, make a Mighty Mini version of your nnChipmunk for indoor flying. :)
Thanks! You better believe I've got some minis of my own planned. The nnChipmunk will be one of the first I make.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Thanks! You better believe I've got some minis of my own planned. The nnChipmunk will be one of the first I make.
AWESOME!

I'm hoping to do a WWI era biplane Mighty Mini myself.

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Just a quick update regarding the lack of updates/progress on this design/build. I started a new job about 5 weeks ago and have been pretty busy settling in there. Deer Hunting and the Holiday's have been taking me away from the hobby a bit lately as well. I am starting to get back to the design of my planes and should be updating my build threads accordingly.

The Ugly Wonder was so ugly it needed some plastic surgery (and technically, foam is plastic, so that pun was intended...see what I did there? ;)). I modified the wing design to make it look a little nicer (less square), added some under camber to the wingtips, and shortened the wingspan about 1-1/2" so that it fits nicely on a sheet of DTFB. I hope to have the Beta 1 plans up by 12/12/14. Just in time for people to make some for Christmas/Hanuka/Kwanzaa gifts for their loved ones :p

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Ugly Wonder Beta 1 plans added! I will be printing plans and building the first prototype of Beta 1 over the next few days. I changed the wing and tail pieces quite a bit from the image shown in the first post. I will update the photo when I get this new version built.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I have update the first post with a new image of the parts for the redesign. As you can see from the photo, I have changed everything but the fuselage. I will update the build log as I start to assemble the second prototype. I think I may have made the vertical stabilizers too small. I may scale them up a bit and cut new ones before I assemble it. If anyone has any thoughts on that I'd love the feedback. Thanks.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Nope, it'll be a simple bank-and-yank like it's predecessor, the FT Bloody Wonder. The goal with this one is to simply have the same basic flight performance and characteristics as the Bloody Wonder, with a different look. I think that, like the Bloody Wonder, it could be easily modified to have rudders as well. A couple people have posted vids of the Bloody Wonder mod. Do a search for Rudder Wonder and you should find it.

My Bloody Baron can be built with or without rudder. It's an absolute blast with the rudder, but it flies very well without it too.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Updated the image in the build thread with a rendering of the 3D CAD model in it's current (and hopefully final) configuration. I've been tweaking on the vertical stabilizers a lot to get them to look right. I've got everything but the new verticals cut out and ready for assembly. I plan to finish one up and get it in the air in the next week or so (even if it's freezing cold out!) so I can finish this build thread up and get to posting a couple articles finally. Stay tuned.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Good progress on the Beta 4 plans and prototype. Here she is with her siblings the Bloody Wonder MkIII and the Bloody Baron (Ugly Wonder is all white at the moment)...

Tre Combat.jpg

Took lots of pics and documented the build tonight. I have the servos, control horns, and the power pod dowels installed. I just need to get the push rods installed and she'll be ready for her maiden flight. Hopefully the weather will cooperate later this week.

I will be updating the build thread with pics and instructions (and hopefully the updated plans) tomorrow.