UK authorities probe 'drone hitting plane at Heathrow'

Revere

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/18/uk_authorities_probe_drone_hitting_plane_at_heathrow/

Unlike in the past where they have assumed "drone" at the slightest hint of turbulence, this time they have actually recovered wreckage.

This does not bode well for the hobby as it is the perfect excuse to slap more regulation on model aircraft - and blatantly stupid laws and regulations have a nasty habit of crossing the atlantic in record time (in both directions).

Paul-H

Of all the reports of this alleged incident that is the only one to claim wreckage has been found.

I still bet it was just a big bird (Not the yellow one) :D

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
Not really good situation if its true. On a side note I was on an MD88 from MSY to ATL and yesterday we ingested a flock of small birds.. Not a hickup however the smell raised my eye brows but i faded away so I thought nothing of it until we were 3/4 done with the flight and the captain apologized for the smell indicated we ingested some birds on take off. So engines can ingest objects its just how large and what they are made of is what matters.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Interesting that there is zero confirmation that it was a model, drone, bird, Frisbee, or anything... they called it an "object". The only confirmation is that Metropolitan Police is investigating. It would have been nice if they said if it was machine or creature though. Should be pretty obvious.

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
It's not just a matter of how oblivious the authorities are to the benefits of tech, but their assumption that model aircraft / drones are the problem, not the people that use them. It wouldn't be that hard to look at any pilot that has a Youtube channel, and see that he / she will probably fly a Parkzone Mini Vapor the same as the E-VOLO. Or, even better, do you ever hear about someone from the regulatory administrations going to the AMA and asking questions? I feel like from everything I've seen, the FAA / others think they know it all, maybe because they're so huge.

I believe the FAA's size may also impact their ability to move and regulate new technology correctly...
After all, "Force = Mass * Acceleration"

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
It's not just a matter of how oblivious the authorities are to the benefits of tech, but their assumption that model aircraft / drones are the problem, not the people that use them. It wouldn't be that hard to look at any pilot that has a Youtube channel, and see that he / she will probably fly a Parkzone Mini Vapor the same as the E-VOLO. Or, even better, do you ever hear about someone from the regulatory administrations going to the AMA and asking questions? I feel like from everything I've seen, the FAA / others think they know it all, maybe because they're so huge.

I believe the FAA's size may also impact their ability to move and regulate new technology correctly...
After all, "Force = Mass * Acceleration"

Same issues with the firearms community and the BATF... People are the problem not guns. Yet more and more restriction and bans occur to try to make the problem better.

Although this happened across the pond so their CAA is in a sense our FAA. Probably not as large or corrupt though...might have to get an opinion someone that lives there about that.