Uk based -De-papered foam or posterboard

Piotrsko

Master member
Everything WILL fly, some stuff flies better than other stuff ( kind of an efficiency thing) USAF test pilot school un-official motto: In thrust we trust. a friend has a T shirt with a rocket strapped to a pig and a saying "anytime baby".

Wildthing

Legendary member
That will be Westfoam, it’s aroubd 30% heavier than FT board, so your CG will end up different to the plans. Welcome to the Forums, FT Foam is available in the UK for £2-3 per sheet as are speedbuild kits.

Sorry am I missing something, the foam is heavier but the plane dimensions aren't changing so the cg will be in the same spot. May have a tougher time balancing the plane. If building with the heavier foam I would suggest building the complete airframe less hardware and with the plane setup say on tripods on the cg mark start laying all your hardware onto it , battery ,k esc, servos, motor, prop and so on so you have a good idea where everything is going to be placed. Now depending on wing load and such will it fly decently being heavier is another story.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Ok fair play, I didn't realise they simply won't fly with the heavier stuff, I thought it would just be slower and use more power.
The good news is I haven't spent 3 evenings cutting it from the wrong board lol.
I've pretty much been and done most things RC over 35+ years but never played with foam planes, the flite test YouTube videos have had me hooked for a few weeks now and I look back at all that balsa bashing I've done in the past and wonder why I've never tried foam lol.

Glad to be part of the forum (at last lol). Thanks for your advice.

It will fly, you may just have to put a more powerful setup into it, for a decent flier have atleast a 1 to 1 ratio thrust versus weight . 30 oz plane , 30oz thrust minimum. Once built you can always do a vertical thrust test, at 1/2 throttle or so it should start lifting out of you hand. If it takes full throttle to do it, it will barely fly.

Piotrsko

Master member
It will fly, you may just have to put a more powerful setup into it, for a decent flier have atleast a 1 to 1 ratio thrust versus weight . 30 oz plane , 30oz thrust minimum. Once built you can always do a vertical thrust test, at 1/2 throttle or so it should start lifting out of you hand. If it takes full throttle to do it, it will barely fly.
Not true, some things I flew had a 3 to 1 weight to thrust ratio so 90 oz plane with 30 oz thrust. Then there's gliders with no thrust.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Not true, some things I flew had a 3 to 1 weight to thrust ratio so 90 oz plane with 30 oz thrust. Then there's gliders with no thrust.

Gliders and slope sourers are a total different art. 90 oz plane with only 30 oz thrust ain't going very fast and won't combat the wind very good . We always seem to have decent winds so I tend to be on the heavier side with an abundance of power to back it up.

FDS

Elite member
Do yourself a favour if it’s your first FT build, buy a Speedbuild kit, plus some sheets of FT board. It’s much easier flying a plane without compensating for it being tail heavy. I have built 6ft designs, 3 with westboard, all the westboard ones were very hard to balance and didn’t fly as well as the FT board ones. Sure you pay a few pounds more for lighter board, but especially with the smaller planes light weight is everything. The lighter your build the easier it will be to fly slowly and the more chance you have of successful first flights. Gravity wins every time!
@Wildthing If the plane dimensions are the same but the foam is denser and the scaling stays the same the tail is always heavier, as FT oversize their tails compared to the length of the nose. The CG is the same spot BUT you need a ton more weight upfront to balance it out, this means a fat bird with more wing loading. Fatal on minis and not good on larger builds if you want a floaty forgiving flight. If you have more flying experience it’s not a problem or if you mod the design, but no good for new pilots.

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
Do yourself a favour if it’s your first FT build, buy a Speedbuild kit, plus some sheets of FT board. It’s much easier flying a plane without compensating for it being tail heavy. I have built 6ft designs, 3 with westboard, all the westboard ones were very hard to balance and didn’t fly as well as the FT board ones. Sure you pay a few pounds more for lighter board, but especially with the smaller planes light weight is everything. The lighter your build the easier it will be to fly slowly and the more chance you have of successful first flights. Gravity wins every time!
@Wildthing If the plane dimensions are the same but the foam is denser and the scaling stays the same the tail is always heavier, as FT oversize their tails compared to the length of the nose. The CG is the same spot BUT you need a ton more weight upfront to balance it out, this means a fat bird with more wing loading. Fatal on minis and not good on larger builds if you want a floaty forgiving flight. If you have more flying experience it’s not a problem or if you mod the design, but no good for new pilots.

That I totally agree with

FDS

Elite member
Not the waterproof stuff. That only worked on the old white board. It’s easy enough to put strip LEDs onto most planes, the self adhesive strips are 3s ready. I have never felt the need for a flying Xmas tree, since night flying is a bad idea and is possibly illegal in the UK, since you are not guaranteed safe LOS at all times.

Jimbosflyin

Will led light strips show through fite test foam board?
I don't think they will,you might try to channel out the foam in the area where they will be and leave the paper .You might have to reinforce the where you do that and always try on a scrap piece first.You can even try to see how well they will show through on a fresh piece and a piece with the foam channeled out.:unsure:

IanSR

Yeah you have to take the paper off but that will severely weaken the model.

You can only fly for up to 30 minutes after the official sunset time now in the UK, even with a lit model, these new stupid regulations which stand no chance of preventing what they've been bought in to prevent, have practically ruined the best bits of the hobby, no more long range, no night flying, highly restricted FPV, arseholes.

FDS

Elite member
@Kananga Not much we can teach you then! Always hard to work out how much previous experience people have from just a few posts. Sorry if any of my posts assumed you were a total noob.
Best way to comply with all the new regs is to just not fly like a knob and ignore the rest..,.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I'm never too old to learn, I've not done foam planes before so there's still new stuff lol.

I fly sensibly and ignore stupid rules, I'm on my own land most of the time anyway but I'm surrounded by fields rather than concrete so I've never had a problem.

I hadn't heard these new rules on flying during night, I'm going to pretend I still haven't lol.

You should be safe flying on your own land at night but take a flashlight with you so that when you crash and if the battery comes unhooked you can find it. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

IanSR

Or just leave it where it is until morning? LOL

These new rules are stupid, by the letter of the law, where I live it is now illegal to throw a frisby without authorisation from air traffic control let alone fly a plane, they really didn't think things through as to what impact they might have, our small local airport has been inundated with requests and has got so fedup they're just saying no to everybody, which means no late evening flights for me without risking jail now.

On the flip side a certain airport that had some problems before Xmas has gone out of their way to help the local clubs who fly in their new FRZ to continue flying.

When I pointed out to the CAA and DFT that the new laws now means a child throwing a paper aeroplane at our park faces jail, their answer was "we have advised the judiciary to only jail where danger to an aircraft was a risk" completely ignoring the issue that there is no definition of "drone" in any regulation, quiet deliberately done too aparantly, it's up to the arresting officer to determine if you are flying a drone or not.

Fortunately the CAA is not going to enforce the regulations, that has been delegated to the Police, who as we all know are so understaffed the likelyhood of them stumbling across any of us flying on scrap land or fields is about as likely as it is they solve the latest knifing in London, the unfortunate downside of this is they will rely more on people grassing you up, so if you've pissed off the neighbours, find somewhere else to fly.

Did you say you've got fields? Can we come round to play?