Uk based -De-papered foam or posterboard

smiling albert

Hi
A lot of the warbirds use this technique-can you actually buy something in the UK that does the trick or is it best to use the paper peeled off of FT board?
Thanks

FDS

Elite member
Covering, you use card. The store formerly known as Staples sells A1 sheets of a very good card for covering/turtle decks at £1.99 a sheet.
The FT board with the paper off is pretty light, it’s mostly air. Weigh an offcut next to a bit of cereal box card by way of comparison. You will be surprised.

smiling albert

Thanks again FDS
Had a quick look on staples site ,couldn’t see it but sounds good.
Have you got a link?
Seen threads saying only cover top half with it as will get ripped if fitted underneath.
Better to use foamboard there?

FDS

Elite member
Staples website is not what is in the stores, I found that out looking for packing tape. Any thin card 2-300gsm is fine. Most craft places have it.
Use whatever the plan designers suggest, ignore trade names, look at the dimensions etc.
If you use undercarriage the bottom of the plane won’t get hammered.

smiling albert

Ok
Thanks.
Is iStaples now called office outlet,if so one very close to me so will have a nosey
How do you apply it?
Have seen some planes that look a bit wrinkled ,want to try and get a smooth finish

FDS

Elite member
No idea. I haven’t made any complicated planes, my piloting skills mean it’s not worth me doing yet. The pile of broken bits is just more detailed!
The sort of finish you are after is best achieved with balsa, from what I have seen.

smiling albert

Well as you know I’m way greener than you so there’s a tip for me there!
Started another thread on this subject and this came up
Found some interesting ideas including this.
The plans use DOWTM PROTECTION BOARD III which is 1/4 inch thick so a little thicker than FT board (and heavier?)but a good way of getting rounded noses and fuselages
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15415662&postcount=701
Wonder if it would work with FT board?
Has anyone tried it?

FDS

Elite member
The closest thing you will get to US fanfold is this type of flooring underlay. You can get it without the DPM covering as well. I have used it for laying floors lots of times!

smiling albert

Ok
Was thinking of using the laminate plans with FT foamboard and see what that produces.
bTW was thinking,with your nerf moding skills it’s time you knocked up a nerf aa gun and try to hit one of your planes!

FDS

Elite member
I have plenty of very silly Nerf blasters to use against planes. That might make a good YT video, I will see if I can find a better place to film it.

FDS

Elite member
We talked about a quad barrel Nerf turret a while ago, based on a double Rhinofire. That is pretty much a Nerf bofors, even the barrels move in and out like the real thing. I never made it because the parts were nearly £250 and I wouldn’t be able to carry it easily so it would be a static piece only.
1553251652556.jpg
The original foam A10 with the Rival firing nose cannon was so good, the FT guys referenced it in their monster A10 airsoft video.

FDS

Elite member
That will be Westfoam, it’s aroubd 30% heavier than FT board, so your CG will end up different to the plans. Welcome to the Forums, FT Foam is available in the UK for £2-3 per sheet as are speedbuild kits.

IanSR

With respect, even paying £6 delivery it is still the cheapest plane you'll build outside of a pizza (or tv) box one.

I had the same attitude you have then I plumbed for 5 sheets and have never looked back, it was such a joy to see the plane take to the sky at first attempt instead of crashing like they always did with west foam because either the cig was wrong or the plane was twice its intended weight.

IanSR

Ok fair play, I didn't realise they simply won't fly with the heavier stuff, I thought it would just be slower and use more power.
The good news is I haven't spent 3 evenings cutting it from the wrong board lol.
I've pretty much been and done most things RC over 35+ years but never played with foam planes, the flite test YouTube videos have had me hooked for a few weeks now and I look back at all that balsa bashing I've done in the past and wonder why I've never tried foam lol.

Glad to be part of the forum (at last lol). Thanks for your advice.

If you've already cut it out you might as well finish it up and see if it flies, what's the worst that can happen? Doing the walk of shame? LOL done that plenty of times.