UK based Parts supply?

BodgeIt

Hi guys, can anyone recommend a reliable UK based supplier? The hobbyking website crashes 90% of the time for me, and my local shop are next to useless, just pushing RTF stuff and werent interested in helping me get individual parts.

BodgeIt

Im after 'proper' stuff if that makes any sense, I am trying to stick to recommended electronics as I dont know enough about them to substitute parts. I will have a look though, thanks for the info. If I find anyone, I will post up here so others can use them too :)

BodgeIt

Well, I can recommend Apex Models in crowthorne, great service and happy to talk me through my Transmitter/receiver options. Not tried them for parts yet, but my maiden flight should be in a week or so so Im sure I will soon haha!

Pierrot

Wheelspinmodels
Great website, fast service, helpful team on the phone - they helped consolidating 2 orders together to avoid paying twice the carriage.

Pierrot

And if u come round oxford, go to st clements and look for Oxford Models, the chap running it is brillant and really helpful - his name is Brian

gordynic

has anyone used banggood, seems very similar to fleabay , I saw emax motors 2822 with heatsink mounts and a prop saver under a tenner, free postage. I have ordered a cheap landing gear set for under £3 but am waiting for it to arrive

giant shark are now no more unfortunately

Last edited:

morris

Hi, I'm new to the forum, (Thank you for the ad') Recently built the Power Pod and 'Old Fogey' Not yet completed as I'm also waiting for parts from HK. Came across Airtec the other day, quite by accident. Seems a good place? My scratchbuilds are cut from Hobbycrafts Westfoam. Similar to US Adams board but paper doesn't like leaving the board! We either need to find a UK supplier of Adam's, or, I'd like to buy pre-cut kits? Anyone on here had better luck with either, I would be very grateful.

grahamt

Hi Morris and welcome.
Have you tried the heat gun/hairdrier method to remove the paper. There was talk about Adam's being imported, but no more has emerged about it since then. I also get the impression that while Adam’s is lighter, it’s not as robust as Westfoam. Because of this you may find you have to fit a more powerful motor. I cant help you with the pre-cut kit's.
Good luck

morris

Hello graham. I haven't heard about that tip, can you reveal please? Do you just remove on bend/crease lines? I'll try some this afternoon. I've not flown my Old Fogey yet so I don't have experience in the weight factor tbh. Adam's board must be really light then, I thought the West Foam was plenty light enough? If I have to make a leading edge, I cut a double bevel about that line and that seems to help with the curvature. I tape underside before the bend and hot glue in the joint as well. I'm going to follow this thread, it will be interesting to see how others respond. Cheers.

grahamt

Hello graham. I haven't heard about that tip, can you reveal please? Do you just remove on bend/crease lines? I'll try some this afternoon. I've not flown my Old Fogey yet so I don't have experience in the weight factor tbh. Adam's board must be really light then, I thought the West Foam was plenty light enough? If I have to make a leading edge, I cut a double bevel about that line and that seems to help with the curvature. I tape underside before the bend and hot glue in the joint as well. I'm going to follow this thread, it will be interesting to see how others respond. Cheers.

Hi Morris
I would practice this on some scrap pieces first, start at the shortest edge and warm the paper with a heatgun or hairdrier. Once it's hot enough for the glue to release, the paper comes away easily, then you have to warm the paper in front of the "release line" to keep the paper coming away. I use an embossing gun like this one:- "http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/docrafts-papermania-pink-heat-tool/603120-1000?gclid=CPyjyb2Fj8gCFVZAGwodWG0DGg". I bought it to use on heat-shrink around my solder joints.
As to where I have removed the paper, I did it on the nose of my mini guinea and F22, to get a smooth bend. I have also done it on everything backward of the C o G on my versa wing. Because of the slightly bigger motor needed, I found the back of my versa wing was heavy. I still had to add lead to the front to balance even with a 3S 2200mAh battery up front. I cut a line across the C o G just through the paper, and peeled off back of that line. I still needed lead up front,but less of it.
As regards the weight difference between Adams foamboard, have a look at this article:- http://flitetest.com/articles/comparing-foam-board
I would surggest that westfoam board is about the same as elmers board I.E heavier but much stronger!
On a personal note, I have built the following plane's
1./ a Versa wing
2./ a F22
3./ a Mini guinea and
4./ a FT 3D
The Versa was my first and easiest build and still remains the most fun to fly.

josephdouce

HobbyKing

If your ordering to UK from hobby king and are willing to wait a while, EU warehouse is £1 shipping instead of £5 and you avoid the import tax as its from EU.

daxian

Elite member
any advice on where to get posterboard ....and what size is best ?
and what length skewers to get .....mine obtained from wilko 's seem to be short !!!

grahamt

any advice on where to get posterboard ....and what size is best ?
and what length skewers to get .....mine obtained from wilko 's seem to be short !!!

Hi daxian.
First the skewers, if you get 12 inch or 30 cm you can always cut them down. A quick search on eBay for "bamboo skewers" and I found these :- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BBQ-Extra...289121?hash=item1ea589c7e1:g:L~wAAOSwT5tWG-Gj for £1.10 free P+P.
Is it "posterboard" or "foamboard" your trying to get?
Posterboard can be found in most art's and craft shops, flitetest use it for wing end and cockpits on some models. The amounts used are so small A4 will do.
Good foamboard on the other hand is harder to find. I would look for "west design" white A1 foam board, bear in mind it's stronger than "dollar tree" board, also heavier, so you'll need to up rate your motor. The paper backing is also harder to remove but can be done ( see other UK threads for how). Hobby craft usually have it in, you can also get "black and grey" or all black foamboard, these are slightly thinner than white and often more expensive.
grahamt

AndyP57

Have you tried

Hi,
I'm based in UK too and, though most of my stuff has been from Hobbyking UK Warehouse, I've also used HobbyRC.co.uk who are based in Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire. The orders I've placed have been quickly delivered (next day) with DPD. As for Foamboard, I haven't used the heavy stuff yet but if I find a supplier for Bazic (DTFB) cheap enough in UK, I'll post it here.

daxian

Elite member
hi grahamt....
thanks for the reply ....
it is posterboard for cockpits i am looking for ....we brits call it plasticard.... i think !!!
i already use the westfoam for the build and know its a bit heavier ,as i found on my first build lol.
skewers ...got them from wilco's and they are only 8" x about 3mm ,which was not a problem till i built the explorer and tried to brace the tail
never thought there might be different sizes !!!!!
thanks for the info and link will get some ordered ......

@andyp57 flitetest are working toward getting supplies into uk and europe in the new year ,so not too long to wait now !!!!

daxian

Elite member
checked online vendors for posterboard /plasticard ....comes in different thicknesses ,stuck again .
andy p57 you just built the mustang !!!! can you give me an indication of thickness of the turtle deck ????

AndyP57

Hi Daxian,
I bought a couple of sheets (One Black for Cockpit and One White for the Turtle Decks) from Staples. It's sold there as Craft Board and comes in sheets of about 20" x 25" for around £3.50.
I hope that helps ;)
Cheers
Andy