Help! UK builders - where do you get foam board

messyhead

Subject says it all really.

I've got a few sheets of 5mm foam board from Hobby Craft, and it's been OK for the MUTTS I built.

But I want to try and get some 3mm board for future builds. I had a search of amazon and eBay, but there's so much, I don't which is good.

And it seems we won't be getting the FT foam board with graupner going under.

messyhead

I'll need to have a better look then. I wasn't sure if some were paper coated or not.

I had a look on the FT site, and thought their pack of 25 sheets of the original board was a reasonable price... then I saw the shipping cost!

Vishal Dhayalan

The foam boards from Hobbycraft are such a pain to be honest! They are really sturdy which is good but gosh they are so heavy compared to FT foam boards as they use actual glue to stick the paper on, which also makes it impossible to definitively peel the paper off the foam...

Another problem Im having is warping... got some boards 2yrs ago and now they are pretty badly warped. How are you dealing with the weight and the warping (if any)?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I'll need to have a better look then. I wasn't sure if some were paper coated or not.

I had a look on the FT site, and thought their pack of 25 sheets of the original board was a reasonable price... then I saw the shipping cost!
In the US if you buy two boxes of the brown FB you get free shipping...

messyhead

Another problem Im having is warping... got some boards 2yrs ago and now they are pretty badly warped. How are you dealing with the weight and the warping (if any)?

I've not had any long enough yet to experience the warping.

For the weight, it's not been an issue if you make some small changes to the plans. Extend the nose by about 3cm to help it balance, and use a bigger motor and battery.

You can remove the paper using an iron and heating it gently by running the FB over the edge of the iron and peeling the paper.

One plan I built was a modified TT that had a bigger wing to help with the weight. But I've just built a scout and only extended the nose. It's not been flown yet though.

shadeyB

Legendary member
. then I saw the shipping cost!
i feel your pain pilot, I really want to try the new foam but can’t justify shipping cost 😭
I've not had any long enough yet to experience the warping.

For the weight, and use a bigger motor and battery.
Select what parts you use the warped sheets for, if it’s folded and glued then the warp tends to go away however if it’s for a vertical stab or something I insert a small carbon rod to strengthen & straighten it out

shadeyB

Legendary member
Subject says it all really.

I've got a few sheets of 5mm foam board from Hobby Craft, and it's been OK for the MUTTS I built.

But I want to try and get some 3mm board for future builds. I had a search of amazon and eBay, but there's so much, I don't which is good.

And it seems we won't be getting the FT foam board with graupner going under.
I get mine in UK from Steve Webb models 👍 the guys are great with fantastic service and delivery usually 2-3 days I have called them to source parts for me and very helpful
website full of RC stuff - I build with depron and it’s like gold dust these days
https://www.servoshop.co.uk/index.php

daxian

Elite member
i am testing the 3mm depron/board from HK ...only built a glider wing so far !! not been able to test fly as yet due to lockdown ...had to tape/cover to do the folding...and reduce the glue temp ,as it melts at normal temps !!! will go with uhu por for the next try ...see how that goes ! other than that i use cathedral foamboard off ebay which "seems" lighter ...at least than westfoam ...but now seems to be getting expensive ....FT board maybe soon available again ...new distributer it seems....we shall see !

Tonero311

If you can hold out a few more weeks, I think Lindinger were expecting their shipment of FT foamboards around 30th May. They have taken over from Graupner on the European side of things. So I would say our UK hobby shops will be supplied not long after hopefully. I'm counting on it myself. Down to 1 full sheet, off cuts and skeletons.

messyhead

Vishal Dhayalan

Great! Hopefully it's in UK stores quickly... Elite Models UK is still out:

1589580005885.png

Vishal Dhayalan

I know many of you here build a lot of planes and stock up foam boards but I don't keep more than 3-4 sheets. So If anyone in London is willing to split a larger order of foam boards (saves money on FB, shipping and offers us the needed quantities), please contact me! :)

Tonero311

I know many of you here build a lot of planes and stock up foam boards but I don't keep more than 3-4 sheets. So If anyone in London is willing to split a larger order of foam boards (saves money on FB, shipping and offers us the needed quantities), please contact me! :)

Is there any local hobby or craft shops close by to you? You could ask if they would stock Flite Tests products or order in for you. Just thinking it could be a way to secure a steady supply whilst also helping keep a local business going. You could dodge the £15 average p&p fee when it comes to FB.

danbob

i feel your pain pilot, I really want to try the new foam but can’t justify shipping cost 😭

shadeyB I ordered a box of the new foam as the pandemic started, it worked out around £3.50 a sheet with shipping and tax, a box of 25 = 50 sheets of old foam as they are double the size.
I like the new foam, feels a little easier to work with

Maximus111

Hey guys, I realise this thread is kind of old but I did buy some of these westfoam 30"x40" 3mm foamboards recently and may have bought more than I needed.

Let me know if anyone is interested!