UK EU Foam Board Distribution?

thecanadianchris

Hello FT Community

What would your thoughts be (FT Community) on a UK / EU Distribution of similar to Dollar Tree Foam board (lighter than the stuff we can get now) and at a much lower price. We would be looking at around the £2.00 or better per A1 sheet in packs of 10.

I have a manufacturer almost ready to do this.

If I can can gather enough interest in the next few weeks I will be looking to starting a Kickstarter project!

Let me know your thoughts and ideas please.

I Would love to do this.

Kind regards to all out there wanting a better priced, lighter Foam board here in the UK and EU!

Chris from the UK (not from Canada as the name suggests lol)

Last edited:

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I'd wait a little before jumping in. People have found lighter foam board already than the heavy Kapa boards. We have started a thread where we collect information like this for Germany, but it might help other people in Europe too.

Also the Isopor Foamboard I'm using now is light and has a lot better paper on it than the DTF. I had a sample with me for the European Meetup and Josh was kinda impressed by the quality.

Also FT is working on distributing the Adams Readiboard all over the world, so we can get the "original" stuff soon.

thecanadianchris

Hello Balu

Thank you for the information however import Duty and shipping on the board would automatically make the US Foam board more expensive even with a substantial discount from the manufacturer. Why not make it in the UK / EU avoid import duty and shipping costs to get it over here.

I have found a manufacturer that already make a Lighter Board than the KAPA board and could manufacture to a specification.

However nothing wrong with FT wanting to import they need to speak to Europe before exporting. FT are welcome to talk to me. There are many grants still available in certain areas of the UK from the EU that would fit in to something like this and or Kickstarter would be great for this too.

Kind regards to all out there wanting a better priced, lighter Foam board here in the UK and EU!

highflying

I think it's a great idea, hobbycraft stuff is to heavy for the high-alpha models, ie. the nutball. Show me where to sign.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I didn't want to stop you from trying it your way, I was just saying that there already are known manufacturers in Europe that make even better quality foamboard than the DTF. I know at least one in the Netherlands and one in Germany.

They are not hard to find if you know what to ask for: XPS (Extruded Polystyrene), 5mm, laminated with paper.

For the UK I was told there is an ebay shop: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5mm-FOAMB...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item43c0e8e8ec

Usually we have to pay more for our sheets though, but they are of better quality. But I'm also quite sure people will still buy the "FliteTest Foamboard" even if it costs a little more once it is out.

I'm not sure if your manufacturer will make boards to a specification, in smaller quantities and cheaper than the ones already being sold and used in mass by designers, architects, etc.

But if you find a way to get that done, go for it :).

highflying

Do you know how expensive it is? It's like paying 10-12 dollars a sheet. The paper may be better quality, but it's much heavier.

Nate Jones

I'm interested - IF its light enough!

I've tried loads of different UK brands and so far the lightest I've found is a touch over 500gsm - DT foamboard (According to another thread on here) is about 297gsm - That is a MASSIVE difference!!

I've been using corrugated plastic sign board as an alternative recently - if you mix 4mm board for wings & high stress elements with 3mm or 2mm for parts that are stressed left then you can achieve build weights below the norm for UK foamboard with added durability - - it is still a lot heavier than DT foamboard though.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I've bought the Isopor Airplac 1 (Sorry, only German: http://isopor.de/produkte/leichtschaumplatten/airplac-1/) for 2,90 € plus tax for a 70 x 100 cm sheet.

It is about half as heavy as the Kappa boards which should put it in the same weight category as the DTF. I'm playing with multirotors at the moment, so I did not build a plane with it yet.

Balu

thecanadianchris

I think this is very similar to what a i'm looking at selling. However at UNDER £2.00 or 2.51 €. Please tell me more about the Airplac1 Paper covering.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I'm sorry, I can not give you a lot more on the paper - just that Josh told me last week that the paper has a better quality than the DTF. He was impressed how smooth it was in comparison.

Balu

sth0r

Hello Chris
If you can send it to other parts of europe it sounds nice, the shipping seems to be the problem...
I live in denmark and we have almost no way of getting any kind of useable foam...

Frantic Fras

Hi Chris,

Count me in if you can get this distro going. I've been hunting high and low for foam board at the right weight!

Cheers
Fras