UK EU Foam Board Distribution?

thecanadianchris

Hello FT Community

What would your thoughts be (FT Community) on a UK / EU Distribution of similar to Dollar Tree Foam board (lighter than the stuff we can get now) and at a much lower price. We would be looking at around the £2.00 or better per A1 sheet in packs of 10.

I have a manufacturer almost ready to do this.

If I can can gather enough interest in the next few weeks I will be looking to starting a Kickstarter project!

Let me know your thoughts and ideas please.

I Would love to do this.

Kind regards to all out there wanting a better priced, lighter Foam board here in the UK and EU!

Chris from the UK (not from Canada as the name suggests lol)

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
It would be interesting, although 10 sheets of A1, that would probably be expensive to ship out of UK because of weight and volume. I don't know how it is right now in the UK, but here in Spain if you are one gram over a kilo or one milimeter into a meter size, the price is increased ten fold! That being so, if the same or similar applies in UK, would there be a posibility for the distributor to cut those boards in half and maybe split the packages so not to exceed the established limit on any one package?

Here, you can send a 999g package for between €3 and €5... but if you send 1 gram more in the same package the price goes up to about €30! Same goes with size with the meter limit!

thecanadianchris

It would be interesting, although 10 sheets of A1, that would probably be expensive to ship out of UK because of weight and volume. I don't know how it is right now in the UK, but here in Spain if you are one gram over a kilo or one milimeter into a meter size, the price is increased ten fold! That being so, if the same or similar applies in UK, would there be a posibility for the distributor to cut those boards in half and maybe split the packages so not to exceed the established limit on any one package?

Here, you can send a 999g package for between €3 and €5... but if you send 1 gram more in the same package the price goes up to about €30! Same goes with size with the meter limit!

I would have pocket Distribution within the EU Got One in Spain and one in France that could be set up very quickly less than a week to set up and with close contacts the others would not take too long.

slarti42uk

Very interested

Hi,

I'm quite new to all this but I'd be very pleased to have a means to get hold of a UK supply of lighter board. I have made my first FT Flyer out of the board from hobbycraft (3 x A1 for £8 three-for-two offer), and had a couple of not too successful "flights". Not sure if it's to do with the weight or just being new to this but there didn't seem to be enough power in the recommended motor to gain altitude (full throttle to stay 6ft up).

Would you also be looking into providing laser cut kits?

slarti42uk

I'm in Norwich, UK (updated my profile)

@highflying - I'm really interested in the speed build kits but with shipping from the US, it's out. I know there's talk of Flitetest setting up international distributors. Seems like the sort of thing that would work as a franchise.

mervinralph

Hi, I would be very interested if we could get the board here, even better if we could get it printed and laser cut. Another option might be if we put in a bulk order for FT kits together that would cut down on shipping costs, what do you think?
Please keep us updated.

Last edited:

Tomtom

Hi there.

I was also looking for foam boards to buy in the UK. I found a couple of options from Amazon, for instance:
- 10 x A1 sheet - 5mm thick (a bit thicker than dollar tree foam i.e. ~4,76mm) => £22,6
- 15 x A1 sheet - 3mm thick => £29,74

So about £2 / sheet which is not too bad. I didn't order yet but after watching the FliteFest epic combat, I want to build more than ever a FT versa wing and a FT bloody wonder :D

Did you already try these? Do you have any other viable alternative?

thecanadianchris

Now looking at £1.50.

Watch this space give me a couple more moths to get things set up but we could be now looking at £1.50 a A1.

Hi there.

I was also looking for foam boards to buy in the UK. I found a couple of options from Amazon, for instance:
- 10 x A1 sheet - 5mm thick (a bit thicker than dollar tree foam i.e. ~4,76mm) => £22,6

So about £2 / sheet which is not too bad. I didn't order yet but after watching the FliteFest epic combat, I want to build more than ever a FT versa wing and a FT bloody wonder :D

thecanadianchris

Now looking at £1.50.

Watch this space give me a couple more moths to get things set up but we could be now looking at £1.50 a A1. It willbe a Kickstarter project.

Hi there.

jtbutcher

Just to chime in, I would be interested too, I've bought some 6mm and 3mm Depron, and I know depron is supposed to be a bit more resilient than the foam board, but as a beginner flyer and builder, some similar spec foam board to the dollar tree stuff they are using would be great.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
In the latest podcast they've announced "Flite Test Foamboard", which is rebranded DTF / Adams Readi Board that's going to be shipped to delivery centers worldwide. If I got that right, you can then simply order in the FliteTest store and will get it delivered from whatever location is nearest to you - just like the HK warehouses.

It'll take a few more weeks to get that set up though.

dr_nick

Any movement on this? Would love to get building with my son... Speedbuilds would be ideal, but we could try the scratch if the board was cheap enough!
Any news on the FT official distribution mentioned
a few posts ago?
How much does a laser cutter cost? Wonder what the UK interest is like whether it's worth kickstarter to buy one and become a distributor? Good little business if enough custom!
Dr_nick