UK EU Foam Board Distribution?

ianlh

Just to add: the hobby craft foam is 45% heavier than the dollar tree board (0.34 gms / sq in compared to 0.19 gms / sq in). So motor size will have to be increased (found out this weekend :()

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
@ianlh Which foamboard did you get from hobbycraft? Was it that "West Design" one?

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Interesting. Because according to the description it's "Recyclable polystyrene". For now I always thought that the weight difference comes from the different materials polystyrene (PS) vs. polyurethane (PUR).

I need to find a plastics engineer who can tell me more about that. :)

BodgeIt

Any updates on this? halfway through building my first plane out of hobbycraft a1 and its horrible, the paper isnt removable and it feels pretty heavy.

I would always be interested in getting FT foam or simular to the UK, i am not a massive fan of internet buying, unless i know the company well. (been bitten too many times now)

so if FT or some one could get foamboard in the UK that is lighter than westfoam that would be great. being as a single sheet weights in at 248g

im trying to find lighter, but not getting much luck :(

morris

Hi. Has there been any further developments on this post please? Can this whole UK board supplier be all put together under one topic? Same keeps cropping up over the forum and we all appear to have the same problem Title " Where to get your Foam Board from in the UK"

YottaYeti

Does anybody have any experience with the black westfoam board from hobby craft? I bought a couple of sheets last night and it seems much more like the foam from my speed build kits than the white foam available at hobby craft.

The paper is matte rather than glossy and it cuts, scores and bends pretty well.

Once I've finished building I'll let you know if it flies.

Paul-H

Hi

I have so far only used the Daler Rowney Foam board, quite expensive at around £5 a sheet and found the black to be much stiffer and stronger than the White. Not easy to take the paper off either.

NoseyMole

My first post on here (I've been watchin/ listening for a while)but only just registered on the forum for the sole purpose of searching for this thread...
I'm a multi rotor flier - but want to get into something cheap and "disposable" with my 2 boys...
The FT planes are perfect but the only thing stopping me is the foamboard in the UK.

Driving home last night, listening to the pod cast I even thought about the small business ideas listed above...

I'll be watching this thread...

Thanks.

josephdouce

Ebay

My first post on here (I've been watchin/ listening for a while)but only just registered on the forum for the sole purpose of searching for this thread...
I'm a multi rotor flier - but want to get into something cheap and "disposable" with my 2 boys...
The FT planes are perfect but the only thing stopping me is the foamboard in the UK.

Driving home last night, listening to the pod cast I even thought about the small business ideas listed above...

I'll be watching this thread...

Thanks.

Built a Bloody Baron from Ebay/HobbyKing, total cost is around £30

NoseyMole

Built a Bloody Baron from Ebay/HobbyKing, total cost is around £30

Was the weight differance a problem when you added the electrics?
or did you have to scale the motor and prop up to compensate? (is it that simple to overcome the extra weight of the UK foam board?)

Thanks.

mjcp

Any updates on this? halfway through building my first plane out of hobbycraft a1 and its horrible, the paper isnt removable and it feels pretty heavy.

The secret with the WestFoam is to damp your finger then rub the surface... the paper scrubs off quite easily. Underneath is a slightly shiny layer that prevents the water getting to the foam...

mjcp

grahamt

Hi

I just moved to Dublin and started my search for foamboard to start building some of the FT planes.

Have any of you tried this stuff?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00BYT1KN2/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

What about depron? Any of you tried to convert the FT plans to build using depron?

Hi Dan
I haven't tried this foamboard but would be interested to hear how you get on using it, particularly how easy the paper comes off and ,if you can, what a full A1 sheet weighs.
What are you planning on building? The easiest plane to build, in my opinion, is the Versa wing. Great fun to fly but not a "first flight" plane.
If this is your first plane I'm sure others here will be able to advise which one is the easiest to fly.
Good luck
Graham

taswas

I would go for the Mini Scout. So stable and forgiving in little or no wind.

I use Depron for my builds as when I laser cut Foam board (I have only tried Hoobycraft Westboard board) I do not like the way the foam core shrinks back leaving the two paper sides with prominent edges that are easy to damage. Probably not a factor though if blade cutting by hand.

Garry

dan_peixoto

Well, this will be my second plane. I built a high wing trainner when I was in Brazil. This is it:

cffe7d46-6c43-41f2-ae92-6e9bdb1147bf.jpg

I thought about the versa, but since I watched the Explorer video, I kind of fell in love with it....

Yesterday I sent and email to "Adams" and their anwser was quite good:

"Good morning, Danilo and thank you for your inquiry. We are currently working on providing our Readi-Board on Amazon.com. It should be available in a month or so. Sorry we could help sooner, but please check back with us! Thanks for your support of Readi-Board.

Regards,

R.L. Adams Plastics, Inc.
5955 Crossroads Commerce
Wyoming, MI 49519
Tel: 616-261-4400
Fax: 616-249-8955"

What you guys think?

grahamt

From what I can gather while Adams is lighter it's nowhere near as strong as west foam, also if they put it on Amazon.com and not .co.uk then the cost of shipping is likely to be through the roof.
I take it the picture was from just after completion,looks great, what does it look like now it's been flown a few times. If you click on "Westfoam paper removal easily" in the UK forum there are some pictures of the two versa wings I have built. I fly them on "low rates" and they still turn on a sixpence. They take a bit of launching to get them going but once up and moving they dont half shift for a wing. I have since added a launch hook to the bottom and made a "bungee launcher" because lanching is hard work and you have to get your thumbs to the sticks quickly. See this video on youtube :-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSDsBklV8vA
Thumbs on both sticks before you even fly, easy!
P.S. dont run the throttle until the bungee has dropped away from the plane!
Graham