• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

UK Foam Board for wings/fuselage - 5mm Vitrex from Screwfix

Just happened to be over at a friend's house when he was doing some laminate flooring and he had the below 5mm insulation foam. Looks just the job for making wings, and it's pretty cheap too!

I folded over a piece of scrap to see how strong it was for a leading edge and it looks good. It will need reinforcing with a spar of some sort, but I reckon it'll make good wings.

Has anyone used this in the UK for building wings/fuselages?

Cheers,
Tim.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/vitrex-pr...MpSIwOzmFu_ct16E_pHFynmnCkS2nnBm9ohoCrgLw_wcB

sy101

Hi Tim,

That looks like it may have potential, so far I've been using 5mm poster board which works but does result in a FT model that weighs twice that of a DT foam board equivalent.

Why not just go to hobbycraft, they were doing a 3 for 2 on A2 sheets and at the moment they are doing 2 A1 sheets for £7

Nobody

That's a great piece of advice, i went and bought three for two a1 sheets but i had two busses to catch on the way home and i felt like the least aerodynamic human ever

Was thinking too, would it be worth getting thinner foamboard to cut down the weight? even just a mm or 2 would probably compensate without compromising too much

Was thinking too, would it be worth getting thinner foamboard to cut down the weight? even just a mm or 2 would probably compensate without compromising too much
In the Czech Republic we don't have many options for foamboard, I just purchased some 3mm Kapa Line foamboard and started to build a Storch. It seems quite nice and very strong, of course it weighs more but I think I will just add a more powerful motor to compensate. I will post my results once I am finished.

Why not just go to hobbycraft, they were doing a 3 for 2 on A2 sheets and at the moment they are doing 2 A1 sheets for £7
Yep, that's what I've used up til now. This stuff from Screwfix seems to be lighter, easier to work with and will be waterproof without taping it.

I've not seen any thinner foamboard, though any thinner and the strength might not be there. I just bought a couple of carbon tubes (11mm x 750mm) on Hobbyking, they'd be great as a wing spar to stiffen it up.