UK Sources for Undercarriage Wire

FDS

Elite member
If anyone is looking for the wire used in the Scout and Sportster or similar FT builds then this steel rod and these wheels were a perfect match, the wire is a 500mm length, you will have a little bit left left over. I had to ream the wheel holes out a little bit to 3.2mm.

d8veh

Elite member
3mm dia is their minimum diameter, which looks a bit thick (heavy) to me. Also, it's EN1A, which is plain ordinary low carbon mild steel. We normally use steel with a higher carbon content to be springy. I'd say that the best place to get it is most likely your local model shop, where it comes in 3ft lengths for less than £1 each. It used to be called "piano wire", but I don’t hear that name much these days. I sometimes see "music wire" or "spring wire".

I haven't measured it, but I'd say that 2mm would be about right, which is 14g.

http://inwoodmodels.com/14G-PIANO-WIRE-203MM-36-LONG

You can also use bicycle spokes at a push, but they also have a low carbon content, so will distort if you do a heavy landing. That's OK for light planes, like most of the FT ones.

I use these wheels:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Pcs-Gr...&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&redirect=mobile

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
Nearest model shop to me is an hour away. It doesn’t sell any aircraft parts or tube stock.
Will look into slightly higher carbon steels. I picked 3mm because the wheel centres were that size if you wanted larger than 50mm wheels.
FT gear wire in their store is 3.2mm thick. Even the medium wire is 2.6mm
3mm Piano wire and 2.5mm wire links from EBay. I see the other lengths are K&S metals which in my part of the world are easiest to get from Cornwall Model Boats.

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
Thanks. Updated my post as well, we could do with a UK source page for building materials.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I have found some wire yard signs make excellent landing gear. If you are lucky enough to have a farm supply store near by, high tensile fencing wire also works. Of course, the old standby, good thick wire from a clothing hanger.

Last edited:
Reactions: FDS

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I use a lot of alternate sources for my wire. For pushrods I prefer to use straightened paper clips.

For landing gear on small models I salvage the spokes from old bicycle wheels and for medium size models I use the spring wire circular clip used on plastic hubcaps.

Another source of rather strong spring steel wire is old furniture including old mattresses. The wire edges of mattresses make great undercarriage for those larger models.

You can also get flexible push/pull wire from bicycle brake cables.

Have fun!

FDS

Elite member
I ordered a pack of 2mm music wire from Cornwall Model Boats and some 1mm for control rods. I think the FT wire for control rods is slightly thicker, I will add a link to this post for the K&S music wire alternative.
It worked out much cheaper than buying FT version from UK sellers, it was £10 including shipping for 4x36” lengths of 2mm and 5 400mm lengths of 1mm, which will do plenty of small builds.

d8veh

Elite member
I ordered a pack of 2mm music wire from Cornwall Model Boats and some 1mm for control rods. I think the FT wire for control rods is slightly thicker, I will add a link to this post for the K&S music wire alternative.
It worked out much cheaper than buying FT version from UK sellers, it was £10 including shipping for 4x36” lengths of 2mm and 5 400mm lengths of 1mm, which will do plenty of small builds.
That's a good price. I think I'll order some too. Thanks.

FDS

Elite member
It was 4pcsx36” of 2mm and 3pcs x36” of 1mm for £9:47 including VAT and postage, checked the invoice.

FDS

Elite member
A bulk source for 1.3mm music wire would be useful. Likewise 3mm for undercarriages.

Tonero311

For undercarriage landing gear I use wire coat hangers I bought in £stretchers. £2 for 8 and 2.8mm. Worked perfectly on my bushwacker yesterday.