Ultra budget quad build.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
One last question. Was he flying Simon K?

Yep, Afro 30's. Never reflashed them though. He's feeling the bug though - he admitted today that he's a bit disappointed that it's working so easily and wants to step it up. He wants a naze but can't find one in stock anywhere he trusts right now. He's not scared of exploring his settings but is also happy to just fly because it will fly :D

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Ok, I've had it with my openLRSng for now. After fixing those connectors I fired it up and everything seemed to be working great. Great! So this evening my new friend came over and we got my FPV gear mounted up again. Just before sunset we went out front and I was going to do a bit of LOS while he wore the goggles to get a taste of it.

Quad wouldn't arm again. You have got to be kidding me!

I've got telemetry disabled now and the bluetooth connected straight to the MW again. So I fire up my app and check the radio page...and I've got randomly bouncing around signals again. Just all over the place. I'm very hesitant to blame the mega board again...this is a practically new board! It did have one crash today when I lost signal and the failsafe brought it down fast, but it was over soft ground and really not a bad hit. Still suddenly for some reason my PPM signal is junk again.

Tried reflashing and reprogramming the openLRS...but it's still just showing up as garbage on the MW. Really starting to suspect this RX module is damaged from too many crashes.

Swapped my stripped down 9x RX back on there and it's flying great again. Just no telemetry and no failsafe in the RX. But we were able to do a slight test flight with him wearing the goggle. Got to see how well the Sony Super HADII does in the dark :D

Tomorrow or Sunday morning we'll be spotting for each other to do some FPV. Just going to stick to 2.4 for now and see if I can figure out why I'm having these PPM issues with the openLRS.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
So life has been pretty crazy the past month. A chain of birthdays for my daughters friends swallowed all weekends, and the sudden illness and loss of my mother in law left us really disrupted the past few weeks. Toss in swim lessons for my daughter and a few other issues - the only flying I've been doing lately is the proto-x which is getting flown several charges a night and I'm dying for a better TX for it still.

The last flight of the quad was the session I talked about at the end of this post and haven't had time to post about. He ended up swapping his KK board for a Naze and we did some quick setups on it. Got mixed up as to which config was setup mild vs. which was setup for fun - but found he could flip even in the mild config with horizon mode very easily. Went up for another flight and realized that he had been in the mild mode and now it could flip almost in it's own footprint and we didn't have the rates all THAT high yet.

Unfortunately that weekend the beta version of the config app I have on my phone had a bug that prevented the PID screen from loading - so we weren't able to further field tune anything. But we were able to fly a couple of packs each and I got to do a pack of FPV on my quad which went pretty well until I panicked a bit at the end and landed in a tree. Few things knocked loose but nothing a few quick zip ties didn't fix.

We left with both quads still ready to fly but batts drained. Unfortunately leaving turned out to be a bit tricky. I didn't realize he didn't have 4WD and he didn't realize to stay on the path and not pull over when we stopped. I hadn't thought to bring a tow strap as this doesn't count as "off road" in my mind. Oops. We aired him down, dug him out and got some floor mats under him for traction - but he was buried. Thankfully home is just 20 minutes away and he had plenty of water so I ran back and got my tow strap then returned and proceeded to sink my truck to both axles trying to pull him out. Well crud. So much for showing off one of my favorite places to fly :D

I hadn't aired down yet though and after doing so was easily able to pull right out of my holes. From the other direction I had firmer ground and was finally able to get him out of his hole and back on a path to head home. We had such a great day flying though that the less than stellar exit was more humorous than annoying.

Life around here has started to return to normal, at least as normal as normal gets after the loss of a close family member. Our house is still a mess due to us starting to paint my daughters room just before life went crazy on us - so 90% of the contents of her room are still strewn across our living room. We still have to do a second coat of paint in her room and just don't both have a day off in common without something planned for a few more weeks so we're not big on moving everything in and back out again. At least her room is very nice to be in right now and she's sleeping better than ever. And I got inspired to clean up my hobby mess. Tore through 3 years of built up mess in my backroom, finally pitched a few crashed beyond repair airframes and got all my bits and pieces more organized.

With outside temps in the 110's and humidity now up in the 30's-40's thanks to the monsoons rolling in ... flying isn't a ton of fun :) EARLY morning is tolerable, but only if you can tolerate being up that early which I can't due to our schedules. Evening flights are gorgeous at sunset - but pretty miserable to be out for still.

I'm really wanting to do some kind of gimbal next, but need a camera to plan around. Since it's AC season though hobby budget doesn't make the cut most weeks until October so even a mobius won't be happening soon. My old hacked disposable cam works...but it's heavy, can be stripped down to next to nothing but needs 3.3v to run on - either way it's a pain to mount. I have three of then though including one that's already stripped down so I may try and rig it up with a SSG and see how it does for a ultra budget gimbal. At least let me test enough ideas to be ready to build a v2 for a better cam.

Still, with the weather being so nasty it's mostly hide in the AC season. I'm trying to finally finish up an Android game I wrote last year and got close to releasing - but still have a few things to polish up - I got distracted from finishing it by building this quad so this kind of comes full loop. But in the past 9 months since I touched the code all kinds of things have changed and just getting my build environment updated has taken me a week of spare time. I finally have a working build system again but haven't even tried compiling my own code yet since I have to bring it into the new system - how to do such isn't very well documented since it varies so much from project to project. Fun.

Oh yeah, the whole FAA thing has me pretty upset as well as this is the third hobby in a row I've had pulled out from under me by federal regulation just as I was starting to really enjoy it. I don't have the energy for the same damn fight again - but can't just walk away.

Oh well, looks like the proto-x is charged. Time for another quick flight :D

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I hear you on the Regulations killing hobbies. I have lost several revenue streams because of sudden licensing requirements which covered several of my moneymaking skill sets which I had exercised for years before legislation brought on by big business killed my small business. The requirements are too expensive for survival of a licensed business in a very rural location of extremely low population density. As a result I now do next to nothing (FAA tells me if my cattle make money then by checking on them via toy aircraft I am a law breaker), make little money (but enough to enjoy life) and as a bonus haven't had to pay taxes in years.

Thurmond

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Well, look what wound up on my bench this evening:

10528524_10152142859576805_1541922620_o.jpg

I knew my friend had got himself a warpquad for his birthday and was waiting for me to help him solder it up since he's still new at soldering and was a bit intimidated about working on it himself. But I didn't know he had also picked up a motowii board to go with his warpquad.

We made good progress, 1 ESC is fully wired, 3 have all their wires on but still need to be soldered to the board. He's going to run the lemon sat and we have the wires for that soldered and his battery cable. This motowii board makes for a super clean and easy build!

We should finish assembly tomorrow and then we'll see if we hit any software issues. If not may have maiden video soon....

Best part (for me) he's going out of town for a few weeks on Sunday - but said if we have it flying before he leaves he'll leave it with me while he's gone "to test it's durability" :D This could be fun.....

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Awesome stuff! Get ready to totally sheeeit yourself during the first punch out mate! Oh and we have a very important rule on the Warpquad thread. You must record your reaction to your first full throttle punch out. :D
Example here:
http://youtu.be/BMtfu73UFSM

Important tip. Make sure you use Soma's recommended Multiwii setup. Possibly lower the RCrate a little at first and add expo to taste but do all the rest. These overpowered setups require delicate tuning.

Oh and make sure the two grub screws on the SS2204's are tight and there is no binding when you turn it by hand. A little light strength locktite on the grub screws is also a good idea.

I look forward to the maiden. She's a beautiful build ain't she :)

Last edited:

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
The frame is gorgeous, even better in person than I had expected. Since it's not my quad I'll be on camera duty for the first punch out ;) But I'm sure he'll gladly turn the camera on me when I get a turn as well.

I was going to ask if there is a suggested setup - while I soldered he got the MW config running on his notebook and confirmed he can talk to the board and that it's running 2.3 but I don't know if the default build on the moto board has the sat enabled or not. He was looking to see if he could find what the stock flash was setup for or if there was a suggested config.h to start from to reflash.

He was torn between his flip1.5 or going for the moto - but I talked him into the moto :) They're both 32u boards with mpu6050's so they should fly identically with the same software load - but the moto board is so freaking clean I couldn't believe he had it and was hesitant to use it. I forget how scared of soldering some people are (though the soldering to make a wiring harness without the moto scares me more!)

I've been trying to talk myself out of trying to save up for one of these...I'm kind of hoping that if he does leave it here for a few weeks I'll get over it and be ready for something else - though I suspect it will actually have me trying to talk my wife into turning the A/C a few degrees warmer so I can shave the electric bill and get a frame :D

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
All build and setup info is here on the first page.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2176239
Soma has a new setup he is flying with and may update it soon enough but the PID's won't change. It just gives it a snappier rudder.

You're more than welcome to join the Team Warpsquad" group too. They're all a really friendly bunch and having soma there is the icing on the cake. Cranial is there too. :)

Oh and give in now. You're gonna want one when you fly it.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
So close on this warpquad...but we can't get the lemon sat working.

Not sure what we're doing wrong as I've never worked with a spektrum sat before. We connected the sat the full RX and bound it - confirmed that it's bound and talking to the TX by hooking a servo up - both the RX and the sat lights come on and seem to work fine.

But when we hook the sat to the moto board (or to a flip) and load a sketch with spektrum 2048 enabled (including moto's default sketch) the sat never lights up and we don't get any signal.

Not sure what we're doing wrong at this point....

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
I can only suggest posing the question on the RCGroups Warpquad forum mate as I have no real MultiWii experience. Motto motto is on there as well as plenty of other MottoWii users and you may get a quick solution by asking there.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
I asked the guys for you.

First answer is make sure the signal and positive are not reversed. My Lemon sat wiring colors were all wrong. Yellow was 3.3v and red was signal!!!!!

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Yep, you just posted while I was posting a more detailed version of the question :)

Here's how the board looks right now:
10550402_10152144715401805_979758874_o.jpg

(As soon as I soldered on the battery cable for him I realized I should have put it the other way around. I may unsolder it tonight and swap it around so it's a bit cleaner for him...just not convinced my iron is powerful enough to heat those wires well enough to safely remove them.)

I'm sitting here looking at the cables, looking at the sat, looking at the boards...trying to figure out if the wires are reversed....but I keep getting mixed up. With my volt meter the red wire is 3.3v coming off the moto...but I think I can imagine a way they may be reversed...just not sure what the pinouts are supposed to be on this sat and with the wire cut in half having a hard time visualizing if somehow red and yellow are swapped.

Tempted to just give it a try. But I don't think he has a spare sat if I fry it. Though if it is backwards then it hasn't been fried because I can still hook it back up to the RX and it works....

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Search google for diagram. I have one on my computer which I can link when I get home.

Actually, wait two seconds...

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
My phone is too slow to look. Have a look though my Warpquad build log and there should be some pics of the lemon sat. Black is ground, yellow is 3.3v and red is signal on mine. That should help answer it for you.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Yep, moto got the photo to me on RCG and after swapping two pins in the connector It's alive, since the owner wasn't here for first power I videoed it to share:

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
So test flights today went fairly well. We had a few minor issues but nothing critical. I did get a bit of video but it's not very good as I had a heck of a time trying to keep that little thing in frame :D

First impression on the warp is it's a VERY humbling quad. I thought I was getting pretty good, but with that thing it's almost like I'm learning all over again it's so small and twitchy. We suspect we may have a bit of a vibration issue with the moto board hard mounted like it is. We were just using the 5" gemfan props which I wasn't very impressed by - they have an odd shape and seem to curve up towards the tips, and they're very thin and weak. He has some 6" HQ props but they're all black and we were having a hard enough time staying orientated on this little thing with the bright dayglo gemfan's that we aren't in a hurry to try the HQ's just yet :)

And we did go through a few props. Though they handled crashes far better than I'd expect. We both had a few good hits including both carwheels and sudden stops into the ground - neither of which seems to have done more than mess up some props. I did balance the props this morning but even so there's a bit of oscillation that seems like it may be vibration related. We had planned on using o-rings under the moto board but forgot to put them on. We may try adding those in to see if it helps. But it could just be it needs a bit of tuning as well. It had a horrible drift to the left that we were mostly able to trim out, balance seemed ok so I'm suspecting it may just been the gemfan props are a bit inconsistent.

This is the 5th quad I've flown now and it's interesting comparing them all. For size it's very similar to my X1 and like the X1 I found it very easy to get disoriented, easier actually since the warp is twitchier faster and doesn't have the limitations of the X1 :) What I found most interesting was flying my quad immediately after flying the warp. The last time I flew mine was the day I got to fly his 450 - and after flying his 450 my quad felt small and twitchy even though I didn't have my rates turned up very high. His 450 felt like a super stable camera platform while my knuckle felt like an acro toy. Today mine felt as stable and lumbering as his 450 did after flying the warp :)

Mine flew well but I did have a few issues. For some reason angle mode isn't self leveling suddenly - but horizon is still. I hooked up my phone and confirmed that it was going into angle mode when I set it - but the quad flew just like it was in acro mode. Not sure what was causing that. And I goofed big time and may have trashed my newest nicest pack :( I was just going to do a quick flight and though I had all my packs charged - so I neglected to check my charge before flying and didn't bother to hook up my beeper. Well, just as I was about to stop flying I suddenly lost power and fell out of the sky (thankfully from just a few feet up since I was coming in for a landing) When I picked it up I noticed my pack was a bit puffy and hotter than I'm used to it being after a flight. Hooked up my checker and sure enough 0% capacity one of my cells down in the 3.2v range :( Damn, that was my nice nanotech and it was my own fault for being in a hurry and lazy :(

Interestingly after flying the warp for just part of a pack I was flying my own quad in full acro better than I've ever done in full acro before.

We didn't get to do a first punch out video, it was windy and with us both having a hard time handling the warp neither of us felt confident enough to do a full punch out. In fact we don't have his endpoints fully tuned in yet so we couldn't get to full full throttle yet even if we wanted to. I did do one 3/4 or so punch out and it was impressive...but not that much faster than my quad with the angel motors. I suspect once we get his endpoints dialed in, get the quad a bit less twitchy and have a bit less wind to fight we'll be able to do some real punch outs and get the expected reaction :D

Overall I'm very impressed. The warp frame is very well designed and the CF is very high quality both in it's consistency and the accuracy of it's machining. IMHO it's well worth the price. But, after my first taste of it I'm not as sure I want one anymore - once I get a bit more time with it I'll probably change my mind. But first impression was that it's almost too small for the power it has and I had a VERY hard time keeping track of it. It did the same thing to me that my X1 does but which my knuckle doesn't and that was it would suddenly seem to reverse direction even though it didn't (if that makes sense.) Just an optical trick where it's easy to get mixed up even with the differently colored props. The lights on my quad helped eliminate that on it. I suspect a little SMT LED or 8 on the ends of the arms may make the warp a bit easier to keep track of in the sky. But like I said it was a humbling quad to fly even with the rates turned down from the suggested defaults. Once we spend a bit more time dialing it in I think I'll enjoy flying it more. Just not sure if I'll get over the orientation issues without adding some lights.

Now to figure out why mine isn't self leveling in angle even though it's indicating that it's in angle and horizon IS self-leveling. Hmmm....

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Good news, after resting and cooling down my NT pack is only at 3.45 on the low cell and not nearly as puffy. The other two cells are still around 3.65. Not sure why that one cell suddenly sagged today, this pack has only had a few flights on it and has been treated like royalty until today :(

The heat of the day may have contributed but it was "only" 102 today.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Turned out he did have a few sets of FC props, I just didn't notice them in the box :D

Last night after adjusting his midpoints/endpoints on his TX the bad tendencies seemed to go away. Today he confirmed the warp is flying 100% better and the 6x4.5 FC's turned it into a mega beast. I haven't seen it fly or got to try it yet (though it is sitting on my dining room table now) but he showed me a quick punch out video and it did the usual warp quad instant disappearing act :D

Can't wait to give it a try...won't be able to until tomorrow though :( Gotta get the kid ready for a friends birthday party which will use up the last of the daylight today.

Oh and still not sure why angle on my quad is suddenly acting like acro even though horizon is still working normally. Very odd. Though I did have that other issue with my openLRS PPM suddenly not working again so I'm wondering if maybe the arduino is flaking out on me again. Might be time to break down and buy a flip board.....

And recharged my NT that was abused yesterday. It's just barely puffy now and sucked back up 2258 mah. So drained it lower than I should have and it's a bit damaged now...but not quite as bad as I had expected. We'll see how it does next time I fly it.