Ultra-Micro Swappable?

3DMad5

I Like SBach 342's
Ultra-Micro planes are great fun, and very convenient. However, I destroy mine quite quickly, and I'm sure I'm not the only one here who finds the styrofoam airframes delicate. How about FliteTest design a plane (or a whole fleet of planes :D ) that will use the electronics from crashed UM aircraft? I'd love to see another 3D plane in the FliteTest lineup. Or an airliner... The list is endless.

iCrash

I was just thinking this the other day when I was putting CA glue on my P-38 ultra micro...for the 10th time. It was in 7 different pieces this time. It went back together ok and still flies well, but I'm afraid it's nearing the end of its life. What to do with the electronics?

Ultra Micro Swappables!

vk2dxn

I think this is a great idea, I love my um p51. I learnt to fly with it, I learnt to crash gracefully with it and learn how to repair any smash with hot glue with it. Ultra micro's have a soft spot in my heart and batteries are under $2 each. Best plane's ever....

epic.engineering

i also have the um p-51 mustang..and learned on it..my first plane about a year ago.. I've even bought another one when horizon hobby had them on clearance, so I also have all the electronics from a p-51 along with my 2 Stryker.. I'm going to seriously look into this once I finish my tricopter

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Just reduce the size on the plans. I've been thinking about doing that to my cub electronics when it falls apart..... Where it's at now..... Could build an old fogey or a ft flyer and just hard mount the electronics..... But a swappable would be cool. I do wonder if the foam board would be too heavy

epic.engineering

i know it would be basic, but I'm thinking I may try my hand at versa wing style wing for micro combat.. since the micro stryker is a pusher..

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Migth be too heavy, but I'd imagine a UMX swappable pod probably would be less like a tube and more like a flat plate -- maybe even out of cardstock with stiffeners. Tack everything on to the plate, mount the plate w/ velcro.

Thrust from the motors/servos are miniscule. Just need to make sure the frame is stiff enough it can hold a thrust angle and the servos can resist the control surfaces.

micro removable pushrod mounts might get interesting . . .

epic.engineering

I just had a great idea, I'm going to rebuild the first scratch build.. the first plane that introduce me to flite test almost a year ago.. this is going to be a surprise ;)

JasonEricAnderson

I do wonder if the foam board would be too heavy
I'm picturing them with the paper removed and just using the foam. I'm a noobie tho and have only recently been able to get my first full size swapables in the air. Any one know of a good micro DSM2 2.4ghz setup (motor/batt/esc/receiver/servos) that would fit a microsize?

Everything I've come across in my research pretty much looks like the guts of a Vapor but I can't find what I'm looking for on HK or HeadsUpHobby, my two normal sources.

epic.engineering

I'm picturing them with the paper removed and just using the foam. I'm a noobie tho and have only recently been able to get my first full size swapables in the air. Any one know of a good micro DSM2 2.4ghz setup (motor/batt/esc/receiver/servos) that would fit a microsize?

Everything I've come across in my research pretty much looks like the guts of a Vapor but I can't find what I'm looking for on HK or HeadsUpHobby, my two normal sources.
horizon hobby sales all the parts for the Parkzone ultra micro planes. The servo and receiver are often built together, and some models use an additional servo.. all bind to spektrum radios.. esc is also built into reciever/servo board.. keeps it simple and incredibly light.. not the cheapest option though.. but for those of us with wrecked ultra micro.. it's the way to go