Ultralight Hybrid Medium build 3D Printed/Hotwire Cut Wing - Build Log - Building Skills

kevinc35

So I got the itch the other day to start designing an ultralight after seeing FT do build theirs with 3D printed Motor. So I set out and found a couple I liked and started messing around with Fusion 360 not knowing the first thing about it. I was going to try and Tubular built style ultralight but realized that the angles, etc were going to be more than I wanted to bite off for a first project. So my second option was the CGS Hawk Arrow II. So I have started down the path of learning Fusion 360, learning to "design" an Ultralight and to design something to actually 3D print, up until now I just have grabbed stuff from Thingiverse and stuff magically appeared.

Right now the ultralight will be roughly 1/8th scale which equates to
Wingspan: 1200mm
Length: 785mm

I'm planning on using a 10mm carbon rod for the boom and designing a mounting bracket for the tail section which will either be DTFB or hotwire cut foam most likely DTFB Since I have several sheets on hand. The wing itself will be hotwire cut mainly because its another skill I want develop. I haven't totally decided on the landing gear yet but the best guess is it is going to be a combination of carbon fiber and 3D printing.

I've attached what I have so far design-wise in fusion 360. I've just started learning and only have a couple of hours in total so hopefully, my skills and speed will progress quickly. I want to integrate several attachment points to the fuselage to keep down the number of parts. I've split the fuselage into three parts to accommodate my printer the first two sections are roughly 210mm and the last is 120mm at its widest point. and they all have about a 10mm wall on them which may prove to be too much but I'll wait until after the first print and can weigh everything.

I have not decided on a motor yet, the height of the fuselage is about 180mm so I figure I can get a 6" prop in there pretty easily. I'm sure there will be a lot of trial and error and lots of reprints.

Hope you find this interesting.

Arrow_II_Ultralight_Mockup_v1_2018-Jul-20_08-12-30PM-000_CustomizedView18028390062.png

kevinc35

I was able to get my printer working tonight after about 6 months of being out of commission and not having the time nor it being a priority to work on it.

I did a quick print @ 1/15th scale of the full size print just to see how things went and i'm happy so far with things. I am going to proceed further down the path of insanity.
smile.gif

Any ideas, input, you're doing it totally wrong are appreciated.

IMG_8497.JPG