UMX connector confusion!?!?

kdobson83

So, i am wanting to convert this little glider i have to RC. Ive done my research and have all my electronics but the 2s batteries i have seem a tad big. I couldnt really find much in the way of 200-300mah 2s batteries. So i was going to use the 2s from my old Gremlin, 450mah 2s i believe. But while i was going through my stuff during some down time looking for things to repair/build and day dreaming it dawned on me that i have a UMX Timber with 280mah 2s batteries. 4 of em!! It would be awesome to be able to use these tiny batteries in the glider. The motor and props i got are very similar in size to whats in the UMX timber. I get solid 6 minute flights with it but with this glider i plan to power up and glide down so the 280mah should have plenty of gas.
Long story short, i need the female end of this connector to put on my esc. But these UMX batteries have 3 wires going to the plug (for balance charging i assume) and my esc has two. From what i see on the Timber is that it only uses the outer wires for discharging. Does anyone know where i can get this plug? Am i right that it will only use the outer two plugs for discharging? Im pretty sure its called a JST-PH 2.0 3-pin connector but google is google and 99% of what comes up are 2 pin connectors for 1s batteries or charging boards.
Now, I do have this charging cable that i dont use anymore (i bought a charge board).
20190802_160546.jpg

Could i do what i have written in the picture?

Any help is appreciated guys!!
THANKS!!

kdobson83

The UMX 2s battery lead is not the same as a balance lead.

Does anyone know if the picture I have above would work?

Bricks

Master member
The UMX 2s battery lead is not the same as a balance lead.

Does anyone know if the picture I have above would work?

Actually it is both balance lead and power in one JST connector only for power it uses the red and black only. What you want to do should work as long as you have your balance board to charge, solder the red and black to the correct terminals on the ESC.

kdobson83

Actually it is both balance lead and power in one JST connector only for power it uses the red and black only. What you want to do should work as long as you have your balance board to charge, solder the red and black to the correct terminals on the ESC.
Yeah, I did it this morning and it worked perfectly.