UMX DLG(1).jpg

UMX DLG(2).jpg

UMX DLG(3).jpg

UMX DLG(4).jpg

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
cute . . . a RET composite foam DLG . . .

24" is pretty tiny . . . but no published weight? really?!?

And four screws on the wings . . . do the REALLY intend their gliders to never be disassembled (they did the same stupid thing on the UMX radian with two easy-to-loose screws :p )

I'm interested, but I'm holding my expectations in check until I see a price and weight.

Last edited:

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
The all up cost for a Libelle is probably north of $200. I'd like to see how the Whipit flies. It may be one of those instances where the cost of the Whipit would be better invested in something like the Libelle. Time will tell....

Best regards,
PCH

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
The all up cost for a Libelle is probably north of $200.

By that time, just buy and Elf and you'll have a real airplane.

Seriously, I know the Libelle is nice in that you don't have to do a lot of setup, but the price is ridiculous. There are some pretty nice composite gliders in its price range that will doubtless fly far better.

Now 80 bucks for a bind and fly DLG, that's an attention getter. Even if the wing is pitiful, at that cost you can carve up a super nice balsa wing and it would still be an awesome deal.

I do worry about whether the pod is just foam. A good hard launch will destroy even a stout balsa pod, as I know well.

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
The Elf looks very nice for a 2 channel model.
I know that my next model will be something more fragile with higher performance.
One of the features of the Libelle that attracted me was the availability of spare parts.
I looked at a lot of less expensive (and frankly nicer looking) models, but the lack of replacement parts always held me back.
I know I'm going to break something and want that security blanket..... (c8

Best regards,
PCH

dews

I have a question, it says 4ch, but i only see 2 control surfaces. Does it have ailerons that I can't see or am I missing something else. I have never even seen a DLG in person, but I can't figure out what 4ch would be for if there are only 2 surfaces. :)

//Dews
edit: Never mind, found my answer. I guess they say 4ch minimum because they don't have anything less ;)

"The E-flite® UMX™ Whipit™ DLG model is a breakthrough in sailplane design. This ultra micro glider features carbon fiber for strength, a removable wing and a simple two-channel Spektrum™ DSMX® control system."

Last edited:

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
cute . . . a RET composite foam DLG . . .

24" is pretty tiny . . . but no published weight? really?!?

I'm interested, but I'm holding my expectations in check until I see a price and weight.

On RCG Horizon reps posted that is is 43g, they accidentally left that off their site. And price is $69.99 pre-order, $84.99 MSRP on their site.

Hey all,

Flying weight with a 150mAh 25C battery is 43 grams.

We will get the weight spec added shortly.

Matt Andren
Horizon Hobby

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Recommended Motor Battery

Hm. If that's a DLG, then I'm the motor, right?

Please tell me, I don't have to plug one of those batteries into my... nevermind.

joecook0723

I have a question, it says 4ch, but i only see 2 control surfaces. Does it have ailerons that I can't see or am I missing something else. I have never even seen a DLG in person, but I can't figure out what 4ch would be for if there are only 2 surfaces. :)

//Dews
edit: Never mind, found my answer. I guess they say 4ch minimum because they don't have anything less ;)

"The E-flite® UMX™ Whipit™ DLG model is a breakthrough in sailplane design. This ultra micro glider features carbon fiber for strength, a removable wing and a simple two-channel Spektrum™ DSMX® control system."
Requires a Minumum 4 CH radio, must be alternative options to a DLG style launch, maybe aerotow or hi-start.

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
By that time, just buy and Elf and you'll have a real airplane.

I just listened to the After Hours podcast. They talked about their impressions of the Libelle. They even compared it to the Elf and the Predator. Talk about timely!

Best regards,
PCH

joecook0723

Hm. If that's a DLG, then I'm the motor, right?

Please tell me, I don't have to plug one of those batteries into my... nevermind.
They mean the 2CH control surface battery.
Anyways, I figured out the 4CH riddle!
The only DSM2/DSMX TXs sold in air start at 4 CH.
So that's it.