UMX electronics

Hubert

So, I have some electronics from a umx pt-17, and was wondering if anyone has any ideas for a plane that could use these. Preferably a slower plane, that can be flown in tight areas. It's 9 or 10mm motor. I was thinking of just scaling down some ft design, but was unsure how small to make it, and which ones would work. I saw some for a 7mm motor, and brushless, but none of this size. Unfortuntaly, I don't have acsses to 3mm depron, so foamboard with the paper peeled off seems like the only option.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Thanks, Hubert

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Hubert,
I have a UMX T-28 that needed a new tail and I cut a new one out of the thin foam picnic plates. I have yet to try to do more but have wondered if I could warp it around into a tube for a micro build. Unfortunately I've only seen this foam for regular sized plates when I'd like something bigger.

Welcome to the forum and I wish you well on your build.
—Jim

Hubert

Thnanks for the tips. The manic micros looks cool, but for 2s lipos, while my electronics are for 1s, unfortunately. The stearman is 48 g, while the manic micro is 80, so even if it flies, it willl be very underpowered. I will probably scale something random that looks doable at the size down.

Hubert

TazRC

Obsession, not hobby
Many folks make micro flying wings too.

Looking forward to see what you come up with!

kacknor

Build another!
Look online also. Lots of opportunities for scavenged UMX electronics. Wings, F-22 trpe profiles, and others. Is the PT-17 brushless? Not sure if the are still available but this used to be a Yak 54-180.

20161216_185057.jpg 20161216_185122.jpg

JD

TazRC

Obsession, not hobby
I scratch-built a neat little pusher jet from UMX electronics albeit brushless but you might be able to use thinner Depron and a brushed geared motor. I know the li'l PT uses the more powerful AS3Extra motor. I'm saving my UMX PT electronics for something similar.

a8521553-199-IMG_0722.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
If you're open to trying balsa (I know - it's that funny wood stuff :) ) there are a tone of great kits at http://www.stevensaero.com/Micro-Radio-Control-Model-Kits-ParkZone-3352-Based/ that all use that UMX electronics package

I was flying http://www.stevensaero.com/StevensAero-DiddleBug-Nostalgic-Indoor-Kit.html at the National Building Museum earlier today and it's a real crowd pleaser and gentle performer. I see he's out of stock on that one right now, but the http://www.stevensaero.com/StevensAero-Playmite-Toon-Playboy-RC.html is built with almost identical lines, just a couple inches smaller and would work great with your electronics setup too.

And there are lots of folks around the forums here to get you started down the balsa path :)

kacknor

Build another!
I scratch-built a neat little pusher jet from UMX electronics albeit brushless but you might be able to use thinner Depron and a brushed geared motor. I know the li'l PT uses the more powerful AS3Extra motor. I'm saving my UMX PT electronics for something similar.

View attachment 83845

Nice. That has been on the edge of the build list for a while!

JD

kacknor

Build another!
Dude! You built a micro Polaris? That is cool. Ufff! And just when I thought I was done adding projects to me project list.

I started with a Polaris SE I bought at the Weak Signals show last year. So when given te chance I bought the Micro and Mini too! Built both, but the Mini was for a friend.

They all fly off of just about any surface, snow, water, grass...

20160410_195803s.jpg 20170127_181149s.jpg 20170127_181213s.jpg

I got a little carried away. :applause:

JD

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
My son and I were building Polarises. I got frustrated with the crowded linkage in the aft body section and scrapped it but my son finished his and just like you said, it flew off of everything and flew very well. I regretted scrapping mine and thought someday I'd attempt it again.

Nice work. Is that airbrush? I'm starting to mess around with airbrush looking for a cleaner and lighter finish.

Hubert

Thanks for all the replies. I certianly am open to balsa, infact, I have 3 balsa planes (60-70 inch wingspan), and one foamie (seaduck). I have a guillows warbird, that looks like it's about the right size, but probably too heavy.

The iea of a flying wing caught my attention. A pusher setup would be great, and it seems pretty easy to do. But, the pt 17 only came with one aileron servo, which is seperate from the brick, and a rudder and elevator on the main board. Maybe I could still do it with some mixing though. I just bought soem foam board (elmers, looks to be the same as the adams, it's not the really heavy stuff), so I think I will go with foam for the backyard type flyer.

Hubert

RCman50

family, faith, foam, fun!
I'll look for you and reply back but im pretty sure it was outerzone had some micro balsa plans for umx gear. A das ugly stick for sure. nn also has the tiger moth that may work? Don't know the AUW? I found a perfect Champ on LETGO [app of people in your area getting rid of stuff] kinda like a internet garage sale, for 25$. I talked to the lady she still has it. I was gonna buy it just for the gear or let my kids bash it around first then do what your intending to do.
Best of luck, let us know what you decide. It would be cool to start a thread on umx scratchbuilt on FT if there isn't one already.
Dustin

Last edited:

RCman50

family, faith, foam, fun!
Just checked. Outerzone has some plans. search Tony Lewis or micro 1S. Theres others to if you search just micro. I'd post a link but I don't know how to from my phone, sorry about that, but there easy to find.

TazRC

Obsession, not hobby
I'll look for you and reply back but im pretty sure it was outerzone had some micro balsa plans for umx gear. A das ugly stick for sure. nn also has the tiger moth that may work? Don't know the AUW? I found a perfect Champ on LETGO [app of people in your area getting rid of stuff] kinda like a internet garage sale, for 25$. I talked to the lady she still has it. I was gonna buy it just for the gear or let my kids bash it around first then do what your intending to do.
Best of luck, let us know what you decide. It would be cool to start a thread on umx scratchbuilt on FT if there isn't one already.
Dustin

Who has a micro Tiger Moth?

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I started with a Polaris SE I bought at the Weak Signals show last year. So when given te chance I bought the Micro and Mini too! Built both, but the Mini was for a friend.

They all fly off of just about any surface, snow, water, grass...

View attachment 83897

I got a little carried away. :applause:

JD
You're killing me. It's almost an obligation to build it.

MightyMike

Planes are fixed, batteries ar charged but we have bad weather with rain so I share another project :D

A Question: (After you've read the post) please let me know if there is already a build thread or an other maybee better place for this!

As I've started with flying RC Planes I've bought myself a E-Flite UMX PT-17. It was a great flying plane and offers you fast sucesses through the AS3X-technology. (Personally I think it is be better to learn flying with a friend and 2 Receivers in Trainer-Setup)

The issue with the beautifull looking plane is the construction out of EPP and really thin airfoils.

Even though I have all the means to fix most of the damages, one day it wasn't possible to repair it.

The sad point was that all electronic components are working well. The plane is using a Spektrum AS6410L micro System with an extra servo.

I had the idea to build a Micro-Power-Pod for Micro-Swappables :)

The challenge is the very limited amount of thrust and the low weight of 50 gr. (1,76 oz.), including the battery.

For a Long time I was looking for a possible use and came up with two ideas. Finally I decide top open up the fusilage for the last time and rip out all the electronics.

View attachment 128864

First I thought about a Micro-Cub. Made in the same way than my other cub mini trainer.

View attachment 128865

View attachment 128866
View attachment 128867

But this build is still in progress.

Instead I decided to do an project I could use for advertising at the company I work for and wanted to build a Micro-Biplane like the Powell P.H. 2 Racer.

View attachment 128868
View attachment 128869
View attachment 128870
View attachment 128871
View attachment 128872

I've build the Micro-Power-Pod with all electronic components on it out of balsa, foamboard and super glue. And boy, it's tiny :D

View attachment 128873
View attachment 128875
View attachment 128874
View attachment 128876
View attachment 128877
View attachment 128878
View attachment 128879
View attachment 128880

Then I've started to build a very light airframe and decided to do large cut Outs and a thin paper cover.

View attachment 128881

View attachment 128882
View attachment 128883

Because I wasn't able to take the weight low enought, I decided to use undercambered wings wight a high profile for greater lift in combination with lower stal speed.

View attachment 128884

Finaly I've finished it right on time an we were able to share it to explane how some adhesives work :D

View attachment 128885
View attachment 128886
View attachment 128887
View attachment 128889

Take a look: --> https://blog.weicon.de/adhesive-bonding-of-model-airplanes/?lang=en
Instagram: -->
Leave I like if you want to do me a favor :D

Unfortunately the wind made a flight for video impossible :(

So it is waiting, ready for the Moment of truth

View attachment 128888

The glory and the Feeling of sucess I can earn however only after the successful first flight ;)

Will share the POV ASAP!!!

From the crash support group