UMX Pitts First Flight

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
Wing is glued back together but it looks like the prop adapter is bent. The motor runs great. Unfortunately Hobby Destination, Viper Hobbies and KNC hobbies don't have the part in stock.

airhawk

Crashing Ace
Wing is glued back together but it looks like the prop adapter is bent. The motor runs great. Unfortunately Hobby Destination, Viper Hobbies and KNC hobbies don't have the part in stock.

check hobby town usa gilbert and scotsdale
they might have it if not horizons your store
also did you like it

airhawk

Crashing Ace
I was able to maiden the new Pitts this morning on a perfectly calm morning. By 8am it was already shorts and t-shirt weather here in the valley of the sun and perfectly clear skies. I hand launched the plane on 75% throttle and it climbed nicely. I switched in to low rates to cruise around a bit, then back into high for a few loops and rolls.

The plane flies nicely and tracks well. The plane does not self level like a high-wing or a Delta Ray, it takes elevator to keep the plane level in the turns whether using ailerons or rudder. A car drove up while I was flying and as I prepared to land a guy came up and started talking to me. My first landing wasn't pretty but was no damage.

On my second battery I practiced landing in the grass. The plane has a very steep glide slope and drops quickly below half throttle. The wings stay level and it is very controllable. The small wheels mean that landing are usually going end with a flip.

The plane looks great in the air and the high visibility markings on top wing and the bottom help with orientation. I am still surprised by how compact this little plane is. The wing span is significantly smaller than a Duet and even the Champ.

the ums drop like a rock i can tell you first hand

Capt_Beavis

I called the Gilbert Hobby Town, they are out too. I will try the Scottsdale one Sunday or Monday.

Capt_Beavis

The repair job went well. The wing seems pretty strong.

IMG_1770.JPG IMG_1772.JPG IMG_1774.JPG

Capt_Beavis

The prop adapter is here and installed. Everything appears to be working. I am charging the batteries now and will try to fly her in the morning.

Capt_Beavis

I ran a couple of batteries through it over at Chuparosa Park this afternoon. I had a couple of rough landings and one text book landing on the short grass. The plane is a powered dart. It climbs fast and maneuvers well. The Pitts has the glide slope or a hexacopter. I am really surprised I was able to get it down as well as I did when the motor went out.

This a beautiful little plane that will help me grow as a pilot.

airhawk

Crashing Ace
I ran a couple of batteries through it over at Chuparosa Park this afternoon. I had a couple of rough landings and one text book landing on the short grass. The plane is a powered dart. It climbs fast and maneuvers well. The Pitts has the glide slope or a hexacopter. I am really surprised I was able to get it down as well as I did when the motor went out.

This a beautiful little plane that will help me grow as a pilot.

good to hear what was your first 4ch plane

airhawk

Crashing Ace
nice but its illegal to fly this Friday in az
here's the email
A FAA NOTAM/TFR has been issued for the greater Phoenix, AZ metropolitan area for Friday, 3/13, from 11:00a until 3:15p MST. The TFR is issued for security purposes to cover VIP movement in this area. Outdoor radio control model aircraft operations are prohibited within the 30nm circle for the specific times listed below. Control Line and Free Flight modelers should use discretion when operating within the TFR. Please note that TFRs are subject to change with very short notice. Check back often for the most current NOTAM/TFR information. Timely alerts are also available on the web or on your cell phone at: Twitter.com/amagov.
See the link to the TFR below for more detailed information regarding the restrictions.
Map View of the Affected Area
View the TFR in Google Earth
(Open the KML file or download and open in Google Earth)
Area 1 (3/13, 11:00a – 3:15p MST)
(30nm radius from Latitude: 33º28'48"N, Longitude: 112º02'18"W)
Area 2 (3/13, 11:00a – 3:15p MST)
(11nm radius from Latitude: 33º28'48"N, Longitude: 112º02'18"W)
Excluding:
(2nm radius from Latitude: 33º37'22"N, Longitude: 111º54'38"W)

Capt_Beavis

We were out of town during that time. Funny that location is Phoenix Children's hospital, I wonder who the VIP was.

I dialed in some elevator with cutting the throttle. Hopefully I can test it out next weekend. I did a lot of flying last week but it was pretty windy after I got the Pitts fixed. I think the plane can handle the wind but I don't trust my skills with it.

airhawk

Crashing Ace
We were out of town during that time. Funny that location is Phoenix Children's hospital, I wonder who the VIP was.

I dialed in some elevator with cutting the throttle. Hopefully I can test it out next weekend. I did a lot of flying last week but it was pretty windy after I got the Pitts fixed. I think the plane can handle the wind but I don't trust my skills with it.

it was Obama apparently

Capt_Beavis

I put a couple of batteries through the Pitts at lunch. I am not sure that the throttle mixing really did much but I got some good landings out of her. There was a bit of a head wind which made for a nice ground speed on the landings.

My first landing was very rough, I didn't give it throttle soon enough when coming in for the landing but it hit straight and on the wheels. This plane makes me nervous like my Delta Ray did when I first flew it which must mean I am learning something, right?

airhawk

Crashing Ace
I put a couple of batteries through the Pitts at lunch. I am not sure that the throttle mixing really did much but I got some good landings out of her. There was a bit of a head wind which made for a nice ground speed on the landings.

My first landing was very rough, I didn't give it throttle soon enough when coming in for the landing but it hit straight and on the wheels. This plane makes me nervous like my Delta Ray did when I first flew it which must mean I am learning something, right?

well yeah if you like flying it