UMX Radian is here!!!

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
I am quite excited, the Radian arrived while I was home at lunch. I put it together and tested binding. It all looks good. After a lot of recent success with my Duet I am quite excited to fly the Radian.

Capt_Beavis

Took it out in the 100+ degree heat. I may have done some damage to my eyes flying into the afternoon sun but the plane is in great shape. It climbs easily and flies great under power. I have a lot to learn about gliding, but this plane is awesome.

Coleman

I bought mine about a month ago and have about 40 batteries through it. I wasn't sure how I felt about gliders before, as this is my first, but I couldn't be happier with the umx radian. I couldn't believe how it will just stop and float when headed into a light breeze. It is very quiet, batteries are cheap and give long flight times...can't say enough great things about this little plane. I'm seriously considering getting the full size radian now (I say seriously considering, but it's almost a certain eventuality).

I would tell you to be careful about taking it up too high, but you likely won't be able to resist. I've had several very close calls where I really thought I wouldn't be getting the plane back. I once lost sight of it for a good 20 seconds as I frantically scanned the sky for movement. Finally, I saw it tearing across the sky in my peripheral, a tiny spec in a completely different part of the sky. The profile is so thin that it can be visible or not visible almost at will it seems. It's all pretty terrifying, I know your going to love it.

This thing will make a great plane for you to practice orientation, if you need to( I know I did), because it's moving so slowly that you have ample time to give it the proper inputs. I did had to use my own Velcro because the supplied stuff wouldn't stick to the foam, I would get a bit to take to the field as you'll likely need to replace yours also.

Let me know what you think after you get a few more flights on it -Coleman

Capt_Beavis

My eyes aren't great even correct. Losing site of it scares me. I am thinking about getting a small streamer for it or painting one wing bright orange. Thanks for the tips.

Capt_Beavis

I had it out again this evening in the 110 heat. I got about 45min of flying off of two stock batteries. I almost got myself into trouble a couple of times. I just missed doing a high speed nose plant and instead just kissed the ground at the bottom of a dive as it was recovering. It was under power and grazed the ground and took back off immediately. No damage just some scuff marks.

I wouldn't recommend this plane as a first plane unless you set the person up with very low rates on the controller (maybe even negative expo). It isn't touchy but it is very maneuverable. So much so it will get into wing stalls if you really pull on it. Although it recovers nicely, a noob flying low could get into an ugly situation quickly. I think this plane pushes my abilities nicely but with any less experience I think it would let me get into too much trouble.

Capt_Beavis

I had it out in some gusty winds yesterday, it flew well but the landings were rough. I lost a wing screw somewhere along the way but some tape holds it in place nicely.

I took it out this morning after the wing taping, it launched nicely and climbed rapidly. It was also going away from me pretty quickly. Although I could here the throttle respond it didn't seem to be responding to rudder input. I had one nasty wing stall it pulled out of, but then another that drove it into the ground.

Fortunately the plane crashed in a field pretty close the road. I had a long walk dreading what I would find. The little Radian was just sitting in some freshly cut honeysuckle (I think). I picked it up and the battery wasn't even dislodged. I checked my CRAP and let her go ahead of me as I walked back to my starting point.

All controls worked great, but I soon realized I had misjudged the wind by 180 degrees. The rest of the flight was uneventful I got in some loops and some inverted attempts. The touch downs where nice and gentle.

I now think I may have simply lost orientation, turned too sharply and went into a wing stall, as I did get a little panicked that the plane would go out of the range of my little Champ Tx.

Capt_Beavis

Well, I killed it today.

It did one nose dive while I was flying along pretty smoothly, I had to power out of it and it recovered 10 or 15 feet from the ground. I flow it for another 15 min or so (changed the battery once) and it flew and soared very well. I was bringing it into the light wind for a landing and I was trying to bring it down a bit when it nose dived and hit the ground with enough force to bust up the motor.

It is going to cost me over $40 parts and it tore up the motor mounting area badly enough that I am afraid I won't get it mounted correctly. I think I will just get another and save this for spare parts. The tail, wing, main board, and lower body are all in good shape.

Capt_Beavis

I may have it repaired. I am letting the glue dry tonight and will try to fire it up tomorrow and see if the motor mount holds.

Capt_Beavis

Well my "repair" got glue onto one of the gears so I bought a new one. After not wanting to go out in the heat, a new baby, and long work hours, I finally got a chance to fly again today.

I had some really great flights (I had made some really boneheaded moves the last few times I was out) and had a great time. I had one "epic" soar that kept the plane up until my neck got sore. It was nice to not fly like a moron again.

frogman

I say the UMX Radian is the most fun $90 can buy. I love mine. I've got it into thermals a few times and it was a blast. Up here in WI thermals aren't as active as they are there by you. I have found a few but never let it get to the point of being worried.

I was flying the Sunday of Labor Day weekend and it was out in the field about 50-60 yards and started getting low. I was just about to give it some throttle and I saw it bounce. I quickly circled around a few times and within a minute I was 100ft or more up in the air. I almost started jumping. It was just downwind from a small pond so I think a small amount of thermal was coming off the pond plus a little up draft from the berm around the pond.

One other time a few weeks ago I would get it up a little to about 100 feet and found some thermals. I let it rise for a while and then put it into a dive to come down. Once I got closer to the ground the thermals were gone. I have a fear of losing my planes so I don't push them quite as far as some people do.

I would put my name and phone number on there just in case. Even if you just write it with a Sharpie or put a small paper sticker label on it. I have my name and phone number on my 1400mm glider just in case. I have a 100" glider as well with the name on it. You never know when those things are going to get caught away.

Capt_Beavis

I have thought about the name and number, I should do that. I don't let mine get far either, I still use my Champ controller so I don't want to push the range.