UMX Timber goes for a swim

FDS

Elite member
“Now what?”
“Now daddy gets soaked...”

Looked like at least it was a beautiful sunny day for wading in ponds.
Bare feet Jeep driving needs a national championship!

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Barefoot jeep driving sure beats barefoot walking your dumb butt home because it's the jeep in the water and not just the model plane! Ask me how i know! :LOL:

Reactions: FDS

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
That's one of THE BEST planes to have. It does so much, costs relatively little, stabilization, portability...

I like how involved your boys are in the flying.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
That's one of THE BEST planes to have. It does so much, costs relatively little, stabilization, portability...

I like how involved your boys are in the flying.
I agree, its a hard plane to beat! Ive had it quite a while and its still one of my top go-to planes!

Its a great hobby to drag the kids along, they like it almost as much as dad! Lol. I've let my older son fly the Timber quite a bit buddy boxing in SAFE mode... He still gets a little turned around when its coming towards him some time and with safe mode he never gets too far out of sorts for me bail him out. That's probably the only drawback with the timber is that it lacks the durability to be a true trainer/first plane, but if you buddy box with someone theres no reason anyone cant fly it!

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
If I had to recommend one plane to anyone new I would likely push the UMX Timber. I have a good friend, MistyArrows on the forum, who got that and is enjoying is alot with his kids. I really can't think of a negative that would tempt me to suggest any other RTF/BNF.

By the way, I can't help but notice the EGA. My oldest was in the Corps. Thank you for your service and have a fine Navy day.

Last edited:

Hondo76251

Legendary member
If I had to recommend one plane to anyone new I would likely push the UMX Timber. I have a good friend, MistyArrows on the forum, who got that and is enjoying is alot with his kids. I really can't think of a negative that would tempt me to suggest any other RTF/BNF.

By the way, I can't help but notice the EGA. My oldest was in the Corps. Thank you for your service and have a fine Navy day.

Thanks!

The Corps is a department of the navy...
The Mens department... ;)

I actually think im going to pick up another one for the boys soon too, can never have too many planes right? Lol

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Oh? but you wear blouses...:p

Yes, having more planes in the air always adds to the fun. Having those running lights are nice too to take things a little later into the evening.

Have you posted about yourself? Used to be when I was more active on the forum I'd ask 3 or 4 basic questions. How's you get into the hobby, where in the world do you fly, and what do you like/hope to fly and with whom? Also, are you active duty?

Last edited:

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Takes a very confident man to wear a blouse my friend!
(I have other rebuttals but, as I'm sure you know, most are not exactly PG! :ROFLMAO:)

1.) Nope, I find that I'm not that interesting!
2.) I hung around a model airport whenever I could 25-30 years ago, always wanted one. Was a tough hobby for a young boy to get into in those days. I built a few of my own planes from gliders w/rc truck parts with marginal success when I was probably 10-12. I started flying RC again after I got out of the Marines in '08, been a steadily growing addiction ever since!
3.) I live, work, and fly on my ranch in North East Wyoming, not much out here but me and my family!
4.) I fly my Phantom on the ranch to check on cows quite a bit, fly micro quads in/around the house with the boys (often to mom's dismay) but my favorite is anything fixed wing. Mostly home built stuff, all electric (though I've got a pile of parts for a chainsaw conversion I've been working on) I still do a lot of glider conversions (though I've got better parts and techniques than when I was 10). I've got some pretty cool long range FPV stuff I really enjoy but since that's become a grey area (and becoming less so) I don't post much on that for obvious reasons! I'm a long way from any towns, and longer still to any RC clubs (plus I have more flying area here than any club could dream of) so I fly with my boys mostly. They're 5, 9, and 11.
5.) Not as lean, Not as mean, but still a Marine... Joined in '02, 2 tours in Iraq was enough for me, got out in '08. Worked on Cobra's and Huey's.

I see by your Avatar you must've been Aircrew... I'm sure we've shared a few similar experiences!

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Thanks for the bio. I have to disagree on your thinking for #1. Plenty interesting I'd say and I would add admirable. It's all we can do to model honor, courage, and commitment in a culture so discontent and narcissistic. I enjoy those family moments that get shared on the forum. It's gold.

I also got out in '08 after 21 yrs, most of it as an avionics tech and aircrewman but finishing out as a survival instructor in Maine. Did you do SERE? If so where?

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I was supposed to but they needed mechs more than crew chiefs when I got there I guess! Did a lot of flight testing, would've earned my wings if they'd let me but I was one of the few guys that was actually a mechanic before I joined so i always ended up turning wrenches!

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I hear you. "The needs of the military..."

Gimme a week and I hope to be posting about my UMX Timber flights with family/friends like you.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I hear you. "The needs of the military..."

Often referred to as "the big green weenie" as I recall... :ROFLMAO: I was 7 months from EAS when I got back from iraq the 2nd time (keep in mind, aviation "tour" is already a 5 year hitch (in theory because of all the extra training they give you... that not all of us received! lol) Their offer? Extend for 2 more years, deploy with your unit again (this time to Afghanistan), or transfer to 267 (which was deploying in 15 days...) BIG Green weenie... (Then they act bewildered when an A&P certified mechanic would turn down a $40k signing bonus!)

Gimme a week and I hope to be posting about my UMX Timber flights with family/friends like you.

Looking forward to it! Nothing better!
I'll see if I can find some video... a long time ago I had robbed a camera/dvr off of a wrecked Hubsan x4. Its so small it was awesome for getting FPV footage (recorded, not transmitted of course) on small things like the Timber. Anyway, I found it the other day in a junk parts box, I may have to put it back on! I'll see if I can pull some old footage off of it...