Under camber wing w/ ailerons

Byrdman

it could very well be the older ft power pack c's.. 2215...

That is what I was thinking as well, but I dont have any experience with the FT motors since I just got back in the hobby, and had a bunch of older stuff in boxes from about 10+ years ago.

I wish all manufacturers would give complete specs on their motors with the props they recommend. I know they have the data, but they only put out a little and it makes it confusing to see what is a replacement size. Obviously, when/if I run out of motors I will buy the FT ones, but if I have a good deal of older ones laying around why not use what I have for now.

Byrdman

yea... i guess the 125% one would work well on my b power pack... except for the fact that i think my 1500mah 3s's are pretty much dead from age.... but maybe they aren't.. i'll check;)

I have flown it on some 850mAh packs as well, just a lot shorter flight times. Pretty much anything 3s from 850-1500 will work well.

alan0043

That is exactly what I did. I just used the plans to make my wing cut on the fuselage only the width of the foamboard, approx 5mm, and only built the top part of the wing.

After flying the Tiny Trainer and the Old Fogey, I wanted something that would build quick, fly well, and land a little slower. I didnt think the Old Fogey or the Tiny Trainer flew well and saw a video of a guy that built the 125% Mini Scout.

I built the 3 Ch. Mini Scout first and that gave me the idea to build the full size one that had the same wing build with ailerons. The only difference in the wing is that the full size one had two folds instead of just one. I was flying both and then I crashed the Mini in the lake, the esc caught on fire and burnt the fuse. Then I built the 125% Mini Scout to replace the original mini, put ailerons on it, and if flew great too. IMO nothing wrong with under cambered wings with ailerons, especially if you are just learning to fly. BTW, the 125% one flies better than the Mini, but is very light so it doesn't do much damage as long as you don't crash too hard.

If you decide to build them and have any questions, feel free to ask.

Hey Byrdman,

I do have a question for you. What size are the ailerons on your under camber wing scout in post #15 ? Are the ailerons the same size as whats on the plans ?

Byrdman

Hey Byrdman,

I do have a question for you. What size are the ailerons on your under camber wing scout in post #15 ? Are the ailerons the same size as whats on the plans ?

Yes, the ailerons are what the plans call for on the full size. I think around 2.5" from the scallop tips and the 125% Mini is about 2" with no scallops cut out.

Byrdman

Oh ... And how did you make the aerofoil... What did you use to firm it....

I made the scores on the bottom of the top half of the wing, made triangles to get the airfoil angle( see the ugly red triangles in the pic), then used hot glue in the joint just like the build video shows. I then reinforced the scored sections with 3mm CF dowels. I also epoxied piano wire bent to the dihedral angle into the CF tubes. I'm sure some wood can be used here but I had some CF tube laying around.

1634139047518.png

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I made the scores on the bottom of the top half of the wing, made triangles to get the airfoil angle( see the ugly red triangles in the pic), then used hot glue in the joint just like the build video shows. I then reinforced the scored sections with 3mm CF dowels. I also epoxied piano wire bent to the dihedral angle into the CF tubes. I'm sure some wood can be used here but I had some CF tube laying around.

View attachment 209654
Awesome thanks 👍

alan0043

Yes, the ailerons are what the plans call for on the full size. I think around 2.5" from the scallop tips and the 125% Mini is about 2" with no scallops cut out.

Hi Byrdman,

I have one more question for you. I have my wing cut out and getting ready to glue it together but before I do that I need to know the placement of the servo's. Does the servo's go on the under part to the like the standard wing is like ? Also are the control horns and on the under part of the ailerons like the std. wing ?

Thank you again for your help,
Al

Byrdman

Hi Byrdman,

I have one more question for you. I have my wing cut out and getting ready to glue it together but before I do that I need to know the placement of the servo's. Does the servo's go on the under part to the like the standard wing is like ? Also are the control horns and on the under part of the ailerons like the std. wing ?

Thank you again for your help,
Al

I put my servos about 3.25"-3.5" in from the side of the Fuse. I think I have the control horns the same position as the original and lined up the servos there. I can get a pic later today if you want one.

alan0043

I put my servos about 3.25"-3.5" in from the side of the Fuse. I think I have the control horns the same position as the original and lined up the servos there. I can get a pic later today if you want one.

Hi Byrdman,

Thank you for the offer of pictures but your answer is what I was looking for. I understand what you are talking about. I hope to have the wing finished for this weeks flying with the guys. :)

Byrdman

Hi Byrdman,

Thank you for the offer of pictures but your answer is what I was looking for. I understand what you are talking about. I hope to have the wing finished for this weeks flying with the guys. :)

Cant wait to see it. BTW, on mine I put the tailfeather servos in the rear "pilot's seat" opening and ran the piano wire to the back. One of mine would bend when the servo moved, so I used a zip tie to secure it to the top of the fuse. I had no CG issues doing it this way.