Understanding numbers - weight - power 😭

shadeyB

Legendary member
Thats not right, I would calibrate the ESC again. If is still the same, it may be time for a new ESC.

EDFs do have a bit slower reaction to throttle input than a prop.
Yeah that’s what I though so pushed the button on another ESC 😍
thanks for your help Merv but this thread ain’t finished yet
455882B5-2246-4B38-82BB-E4F6D53BD2FB.jpeg

shadeyB

Legendary member
Great looking planes
Thanks Merv 👍
had great flights today and had a blast ☺️ Very successful only 1 broken prop.

anyway I’ve got some more numbers for you, think I’m beginning to understand lol
My Twin thrust vector Super Flanker Su-35 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁
all in weight with battery is 2lb 11oz
these numbers below were taken at 3/4 throttle 💀
879.4Wp
15.34V
57.48Ap
now for the thrust numbers mwoahahahaaaaaa 💀
again taken at 3/4 throttle
on scales and zeroed out ............ wait ............. 7lb 9oz is as far as my kitchen scales goes too and all I got for a reading after seeing a glimpse of 5lb was ERR meaning the dam thing blasts my scales ahahahaaaaa
not sure how I’m going to get the actual thrust measurement unless I have a big set lol
C5E93B95-E0B3-44FF-964E-E92228A2C04F.jpeg
C571F034-9BC0-40CE-A1E5-C4F63A195D78.jpeg

anyway wish us luck on her maiden lol ive only ever got 3 sec worth of flight when my friend chucked it for me and I had ESC failure lol
TV system has been updated since and plan on giving her a go tomorrow
she’ll probably just break into pieces in mid flight with sheer power ahahahaaaaaa 💀🎮💫🚀💫💥🔥

shadeyB

Legendary member
Here are some guidelines that may help. It’s the total flying weight of the plane that you need, including motor and battery.

• 50 to 70 watts per pound is the minimum level of power, good for park flyers and lightly loaded slow flyers.
•70 to 90 watts per pound is perfect for trainers and slow-flying aircraft.
•90 to 110 watts per pound is good for fast-flying scale models and some sport aerobatic aircraft.
•110 to 130 watts per pound is what you want for advanced aerobatics and high-speed aircraft.
•130 to 150 watts per pound is needed for lightly loaded 3D models and ducted fans.
•150 to 210+ watts per pound gives unlimited performance for any 3D model.

Superflanker SU-35 im guessing its around 300 watts/lb ahahahahahah shes gona be ballistic
will use bathroom scales tomorrow to get Thrust reading ahahahaaaa 💀

Sero

Elite member
Some nice looking birds you have there @shadeyB !

My Goblin is 600watts/lb, and the orange Racer you see in my avatar photo is 520w/lb. Goblin does almost 100mph and Racer does 121mph.:D

Also don't forget you're measuring static thrust with the scale where a lower pitch prop will look better. A high pitch prop needs airspeed to get to its sweet spot. Just like low gear and high gear that @Merv was mentioning.

Last edited:

Bricks

Master member
Kind of a simple way to see if you have enough power is hold it vertical and hit the throttle if it wants to fly out of your hand should be enough to fly.

SkyersJet

Those wattmeter displays always confuse me as well. I think Wp and Ap are either peak or average watts and amps.

In general if you want to fly longer use a battery with more mah and if you want to fly faster use more cells i.e 4s instead of 3s

quorneng

Master member
They are almost certainly peak values hence the "p". They are on my Watt meter!

If the thrust is too much for kitchen scales use normal 'human' weight scales. They usually go up to 300 lbs. ;)