Unique designs and builds

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Could you start a thread for unique/original designs and "Old School" scratch builders.

The current Mad (Scratch) builders corner is now being used by almost anyone who can operate a glue gun to post their versions of someone else's design. Let them have it!

Also there are plans being used, published and exchanged through your website forums that may be copyright or similar.

Your website and forums are valuable to me and many others but there has been a litigious push in the internet community of late to close down websites that fileshare or allow filesharing of copyrighted material.

Thank You

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
They're not my plans, but I've always liked the look of this thing and it's pretty unique.

4737.jpg

I do want to build one of these eventually, but it would take a lot of work to make it Flite Test friendly.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I look forward to your versions of both designs! It will be interesting to see how you render them in FB.

Though, I will not hold my breath as I suspect the posts are just Trolling as mentioned in item 1 of the forum rules, ( I hope I am wrong).

If trolling I will not rise and if not I sincerely look forward to seeing the posts and watching them fly.

Respect should always be given freely and to deny it to others is to denigrate oneself.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
The current Mad (Scratch) builders corner is now being used by almost anyone who can operate a glue gun to post their versions of someone else's design. Let them have it!

That's not very nice, and I don't believe you. You're not trying to stir up trouble are you? I don't see a point to this thread other than to start arguments.

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
That's not very nice, and I don't believe you. You're not trying to stir up trouble are you? I don't see a point to this thread other than to start arguments.

From what I can gather, Hai-Lee is very concerned about getting appropriate credit for something he has designed and wants to share. He also seems to feel that to many people here give themselves more credit than they deserve for what they do.

That is how I perceive things. Reality may be different.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
From what I can gather, Hai-Lee is very concerned about getting appropriate credit for something he has designed and wants to share. He also seems to feel that to many people here give themselves more credit than they deserve for what they do.

That is how I perceive things. Reality may be different.

Ah, well if that's the case, he sees reality through an interesting pair of glasses. I don't think I've seen a single person on this forum trying to pass off someone else's work as their own. If something like that has come up before my time, it seems to have been dealt with.1

As for wanting to get appropriate credit... I can understand the desire to be credited where it's due, but things seem to be going a bit further away from that.

FliteTest wants people to take their designs and tinker with them. They want people to not only enjoy flying, but to get into all the other aspects of the hobby, like designing and building. Insulting everybody in the Mad Scratch Builders forum who take a design and put their own spin on it is ridiculous, and I find the idea of a forum section that's only for unique designs rather silly.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
It's not very unique because it is an old design. But this is the first one I have seen in foam.

Downloaded the plans from here. Made sure that original designer and plans publisher received all the credit due.

Here it is all done in SketchUp.

Cherry Bomb ISO1.png

That turned into these foam plans. (uses a shortened FT Mini power pod not included in the plan. custom cut to fit)

View attachment Cherry Bomb Foam Plans V0.2.pdf

Which produced this model.

IMG_2267.JPG

I was pretty happy that if flew this well.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I'm going to interject here.

Flite Test and the community was founded on the idea of inclusiveness. Everyone who wants to be a part of this community, no matter their skill level, is welcome. Too many other forums had people who for whatever reason needed to divide, and label, and segregate the people into groups.

I don't care how sweet the words used to do it may be. It will not be tolerated here. If you need some sort of class distinction to feel special, I am sure there's plenty of other forums that will better suit you.

I've watched this particular situation spiraling around the toilet bowl over the last couple days. Hai-Lee took umbrage about another member, and has been on a bit of a tear to try to justify his actions.

I don't normally make a public spectacle in these situations, but this time I'll make an exception.

This stops here. Everyone has different skill sets, we're not talking "stolen valor" here due to some new person misusing the term scratch build. If you feel someone else improperly labelling their build process somehow diminishes your worth as a builder, then it maybe be time to re-evaluate your system of determining self worth.

We have a great pool of very talented people on the forum. We have several that, well, are still working on it. To me it doesn't matter. They're trying. Whether it be a design they created themselves, or from plans, or bashing an existing kit to make it a little more their own, they're building. We're Flite Test. We appreciate the effort, as much as the skill. We see someone struggling, and we prop them up, we don't tear them down. We've got a special thing here, and I will not see it diminished by permitting behavior that goes against the spirit that has made this such a unique place to gather.

-Fred

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Flite Test came out with the FT Sea Duck a full year after I had designed the Tail Spin plane to be made out of Foam Board. I'm unclear if any one ever actually used the plans I came up with (I surely never even attempted to build it) but I know that my plans, or rather attempt at plans, inspired a couple others to make their own. Collectively that inspired Flite Test to design their own.

Flite Test gave everyone, including me, a shout out for inspiration. The only little cringe I had is that when showing the forum posts of my designing it they showed a drawing of the Tail Spin plane that I stole off of the internet. lol. It would have been nice if they showed something I had actually created while giving me a shout out. Not something that I, for the lack of a better word, stole.

Anyways. I think that fully embodies what this forum and Flite Test is all about. Inspiring others. Taking other people's creations and tweaking it to improve it or for their own needs/wants. Whether that's copying the FT Spitfire but altering it into the FT Slinger. Or whether it's looking at something some one did and thinking "I can do that better". Or "I want that plane too, but I'll design it my way." (Like David's Viggen. He took a hot wire cut plane and loved it so much he made a fb version.)

Yes, it's amazing to give people credit. But sometimes that's impossible. Sometimes it's just simply forgotten.

But it would be nice to divide up the Mad Scratch Builders topic. Everything seems to get dumped into that one forum. I dunno what the best way to divide it up would be though.

Last edited: