*Unofficial* Alpha Bravo Charlie

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
ABC TRIAD Jets Croped.png

Description:

The FT Alpha was designed to be a quick and easy to fly build, an all-around best performer out of the Triad series. The FT Alpha is compatible with the FT Bravo and FT Charlie kits.
FT Alpha Airplane Specs:

• [*=left]Weight Without Battery: 8.1 oz (230 g)
    [*=left]Center Of Gravity: 14 inches (355 mm) from the nose
    [*=left]Control Surface Throws: 16 degree deflection/ Expo 30% (increase based on skill)
    [*=left]Wingspan: 24 inches (609 mm)
    [*=left]Recommended Motor:2300 kv 2204 size motor
    [*=left]Recommended Prop: 6.45 CW Reverse Prop
    [*=left]Recommended ESC: 12 amp minimum
    [*=left]Recommended Battery: 850 MAH 3S
    [*=left]Recommended Servos: 2x 5 gram servos
The FT Bravo was designed to be a quick and challenging to fly build, this is the fastest and most agile plane of the Triad series. The FT Bravo is compatible with the FT Alpha and FT Charlie kits.
FT Bravo Airplane Specs:

The FT Charlie was designed to be a quick and easy to fly build, the slowest and least agile of the Triad series. The FT Charlie is compatible with the FT Alpha and FT Bravo kits.
FT Charlie Airplane Specs:
Each airplanes’ wings are built to be removable from the fuselage, and can be swapped with any of the other Triad planes, giving the builder essentially 9 planes to choose from.
The Swapping Of Wings Takes Less Than A Minute And Is Supported By Rubber Bands!

There is no need to re-calibrate the center of gravity on the aircraft after swapping, the CG remains the same no matter what combination you configure. This is great for the flight line and swapping with others, making it an enjoyable experience for all.

We want you to have an amazing experience both in building and flying.

Release Date: 12/12/2016

Article:

Release Video:

Build Videos:

Plans:

Alpha: All-In-One | Full-Size | Tiled
Bravo: All-In-One | Full-Size | Tiled
Charlie: FT Charlie Plans

Speed Build Kits:

Alpha
Bravo
Charlie

Alpha Bravo Charlie - Combo Pack

This kit comes with everything you need to complete the FT Alpha Aircraft. Push-rods, control horns, firewalls and all other items needed to make this airframe electronics ready are included in the kit. If you choose to purchase our power pack F and battery, balance, flight performance and assembly will be quick and easy.

Last edited:

Liam B

Those look like a blast, and I can't believe that they were designed by kids my age. All my planes look like flying bricks, but those are beautiful! Look forward to plans.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Not only allowed, but highly encouraged. Get some!

<wringing hands together> Eggggggggcellent. :D

Nice thing about the little jets, you can probably pre-fab 'em up for the airplane ride. Last little bit of assembly.....

Last edited:

xMeox

printed the plans for the alpha and my first thought was that the middle of the body potentially is a big weak spot of the plane. While gluing the wings onto it would fix that problem, the removable wings version seems really weak left and right of the propeller cut out.

When I watched the building video, I noticed that Josh managed to wrinkled the foam on this part during building (you can see it several times starting at 1:04:36).

Im not sure how problematic this can get. As the wings sit on the front part, flying shouldn't stress this part of the plane too much (with 3s). Landings on the other hand can become a problem, especially with an heavier setup.

A fast fix for this problem that comes to mind are two skewers, one on the bottom of the fuse and one between body and wing.

Anyhow, Im really looking forward to build and fly this plane. The design looks awesome and brings new cool building techniques. Hope we will see more Stem designs in the future! Keep up the good work!

Ross

I plan on building the Alpha very soon, my mini F22 with f pack setup arrived a week or so ago so all set on electronics for both. These kids hit a home run with these designs! Kudos to MESA...

xMeox

Finished my FT Alpha just now and Im impressed by the look of it. It is a lot of work compared to other FT designs but it is worth it.

About my concerns of the weak part of the body left and right to the propeller cut out: It feels more durable than it looked on the plans or in the build video.
Though you really have to be careful not to wrinkle your parts while assembling them, especially the top plate. To prevent such happenings I just didn't cut out the middle at the beginning. I cut most of the lines, but not all of it. Once I finished the main part of the body I cut the rest of the lines and popped it out.

Once all parts are glued together, its seems quite strong, though I would recommend to reinforce it for 4s flights or anything beyond a red bottom motor. For that I glued a popsicle stick on the inner wall to strengthen the propeller cut out directly under the top plate. you have to drill a hole in it because it will sit over the motor mound skewer hole, which is fine because it strengthens the plane as it would do using the gift card trick. One word of advice: drill the hole in up front: drilling wood through foam board is a b*tch... trust me.

For 4s flights I also would recommend to use a wooden spear. If you go really crazy, maybe even glue the wings on, just to be save. One thing that Ive noticed is that the wing flexes next to where the servo cut outs are (you need a lot of force to bend it though). If you want to go with a fun fighter set up, I would suggest to move the servos to the back part of the body and don't do cut outs in the wings at all. To make the wing a little bit stronger I added some foam to the back of the wing middle as is planed on the front. Not necessary but felt right as the rubber bands run over this part.

Regarding plans: as always you did terrific work SPONZ! I found some minor problems here and there and will share my findings here. If Im not clear enough where the problem occurred feel free to pm me and Ill do my best to give you a better explanation.
- Top Plate: on the very front: In my case the cut outs for the front wing intakes where too short (the ones on the pointy ends).
- Lower Fuselage: The whole outer bevel area was very problematic. I did exactly as the plans suggested and in the end the whole foster part was to low to fit to the upper plate. Either make bevel areas the whole part or leave it out completely. Personally I would remove the bevel areas as there are several other areas which are custom fit and therefor not in the plans (e.g. canopy middle lines)
- Cannopy/Nose: To be able to fit the canopy in even for the first step (as josh showed in the video. the part where we only glue the back end to give it its base form) I had to cut something off the canopy/nose to make it fit. Im not sure If it is supposed to sit in like that, but whit those cuts My back end of the canopy can sit flat on the top plate.
Sadly I haven't made pictures during building but Ill do so tomorrow if necessary.

All in all: terrific design, awesome plans, new challenges and a lot of fun to build. Thanks for everybody involved. Tomorrow Ill paint it as it will be a christmas gift for my dad. Pictures will come once it is finished :)

jpot1

Elite member
Wingspan on these is not that much smaller than the full size FT-22. Think these could handle a turnigy d2826/6 motor with two 9g servos and a 1300mah battery? Hope so as it's all I've got!

Ross

I printed out and prepared the Alpha plans to make templates on poster board tomorrow, Love the look of these and will probably build several this winter. Beginning to look like its going to be nasty in the Northeast this winter so plenty of building time.

Last edited:

xMeox

Power wise the 2826 should be no problem, but because its a bigger motor you have to shorten the fuse and move the pod to the front so the motor would fit.
You can't put any pro bigger than 6", keep that in mind.

jpot1

Elite member
Power wise the 2826 should be no problem, but because its a bigger motor you have to shorten the fuse and move the pod to the front so the motor would fit.
You can't put any pro bigger than 6", keep that in mind.

Thanks xMeox, was headed down that path. Just finished up an F-16 from plans on the forum and had to do the same thing. The fuse was out to the beginning of the prop slot but had to notch it in.

IMG_0347.JPG IMG_0346.JPG

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I like the look of the Bravo wing with the Alpha fuse. I sort of see an F-14 in the swept wing configuration.