*Unofficial* FT A-10 Warthog

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
thanks! What prop are you using? Hopefully I haven't asked that already! That explains a lot. In real life I work in the HVAC industry and I know how important blade tip to air orifice is.
Well, you're not gonna get close enough tolerances to really get that much of an improvement, but 5" props cut down to 4" fit very well in these ducts.

Took me 1hour 20mins to trim the borders off the pages the plans are printed on, next up is taping them together then cutting out the actual plans...yay haha

Yesterday my power system parts arrived :D 2x Strix 2208 2300kv motors, 2x STRIX Rocket 65A 3-6s Blheli-S Opto ESCs, and going to try out some chopped down 4 blade 5x4 Strix props (because they were on closeout haha).
View attachment 170064

I also printed out the nacelle former parts which was the first visible sign of how big this plane will be...definitely will be my biggest plane yet.

All of my stuff is in this thread, starting around page 11. Currently working through FC/Video issues to get her back in the air.

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
I was having issues with the new F722-WPX FC with the FrSky Pixel OSD, seemed like when I used 6S battery the current draw was too much for the FC regulators and it was blanking out the OSD completely.

Contacted Matek and they suggested it was an issue with the VTX and camera causing a video sync issue. I bought some tiny 2-6S 5V/12V regulators and wired one up to take battery voltage from the FC and provide power to the VTX and camera. Boom,back in business! Hoping to get it in the air again soon.

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Took her out to fly today, got one flight in, but it was cut short by motor issues. My left motor burned up.

PXL_20210110_203734380_2.jpg

I don't know if it was due to the failed first take off or something else, but the A-10 is back to storage till I get another motor for it. Here is the failed take off and the "good" one. I will have full video out later in the week.

Before flight:
PXL_20210110_193312563.jpg

After flight:
PXL_20210110_194800963.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Took her out to fly today, got one flight in, but it was cut short by motor issues. My left motor burned up.

View attachment 188685

I don't know if it was due to the failed first take off or something else, but the A-10 is back to storage till I get another motor for it. Here is the failed take off and the "good" one. I will have full video out later in the week.

Before flight:
View attachment 188686

After flight:
View attachment 188687
Ahh, too bad! What do you think caused it, maybe 6s is a little too much for those motors?

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Ahh, too bad! What do you think caused it, maybe 6s is a little too much for those motors?

One of these motors came from an air boat I 3D printed and may have gotten water debris in it from that, and then from the failed takeoff the left motor is the one that sprayed the water so it may have been from that. But I really don't know for sure. Those motors flew fine on 6S back in August, other than getting warm from not having enough cooling air flow over them. Not sure if I'm going to rush to fix it or move to another project.

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Got the full video done, which has the entire flight since it was a short one.

The more I think about it I likely was just over powering the motors running them 6S. If I decided to continue on with the A-10 I will likely get some 1750kv or similar motors that are rated for 6S, but I need to do some "research" to determine how much thrust I was using, need, and will get from different setups. If I continue with the A-10 I will likely cut/glue new foam also to fix some of the issues that this one has gained from the less than buttery takeoffs and landings :)

The best part is that I still have the F722-WPX FC with the cool graphical OSD that worked great...now just need to figure out what it's going in :D

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
My set up. Plenty of thrust.

Power train:- 2 Sunnysky R2207, 1800Kv motors.
2 Gemfan 4.0x5.2, 3 bladed props.
2 Turnigy Plush 32, 40amp ESC.
6s Battery.

Youtube Channel wad5uk

If I build a new one I'd like to add the retracts like you did.

Looking around and I think I'm gonna order a pair of the T-Motor Pacer v2 1950kv 6S rated motors.

Screenshot_20210111-170543.png

Screenshot_20210111-170533~2.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210111-170543.png
    Screenshot_20210111-170543.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Drone 5

After a few landings I found the plastic of the retracts to break and they were not man enough for the two main wheels so reverted back to fixed wheels. I still have to nose retract which works well.
Motors look OK.
Are you using differential thrust. I find steering on takeoff works well with it.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
After a few landings I found the plastic of the retracts to break and they were not man enough for the two main wheels so reverted back to fixed wheels. I still have to nose retract which works well.
Motors look OK.
Are you using differential thrust. I find steering on takeoff works well with it.
You probably already said it somewhere in this thread, but what retracts are you using?

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
I did have differential on, but the more I see the takeoffs I'm wondering if I had the motors swapped on the FC by accident and I was differential thrusting against the nose wheel steering. Not sure and already took it apart so I can't check.

Drone 5

I did have differential on, but the more I see the takeoffs I'm wondering if I had the motors swapped on the FC by accident and I was differential thrusting against the nose wheel steering. Not sure and already took it apart so I can't check.

Could be. My nose leg is fixed but I find the differential thrust to be so efficient that I don't need a steerable nose wheel. The plane almost swings on its axis.