*Unofficial* FT A-10 Warthog

Headbang

Master member
The pdf is a vector file, I dont think it would be hard to make an stl in a cad program. I dont have a 3d printer, so Im not 100% sure but I do have a cnc router and I have loaded a couple planes to make for myself.
No it is not hard to bring them in. Trick is the size, this one has parts bigger then an average 3d printer bed.

w1lp33

It begins...
20190207_184029.jpg

Headbang

Master member
Nacelle parts need a few tweaks. And I am thinking pla would be better for stiffness. First part came out ok, just more bendy then I would like. I will have to cut out and build one to test fit and finish on the printed parts.

w1lp33

Wow, that looks awesome, I really like Andres style to designing with the faceted nose.

Yeah, it turned out pretty decent. Not perfect, but everything lined up nicer than it did on my FT Edge. You definitely feel more like a badass when everything lines up nice using Andre's 'skinning' style of building :)

Edwardchew

Done my shopping today. Can start building tomorrow. Yeahh
Cost as below in SEA,
Foamboard 2pcs 4'x8' - usd13.74
Laser cut service - usd5.86
Plywood - usd3.66
Print 12pcs A1 - usd 4.42

roberttexas

Done my shopping today. Can start building tomorrow. Yeahh
Cost as below in SEA,
Foamboard 2pcs 4'x8' - usd13.74
Laser cut service - usd5.86
Plywood - usd3.66
Print 12pcs A1 - usd 4.42
for us poor people om fixed incomes retirees.. does flite test sell just a wood kit with pieces needed for the build?

Headbang

Master member
for us poor people om fixed incomes retirees.. does flite test sell just a wood kit with pieces needed for the build?
Nothing wrong with taking the pattern, sticking it to plywood, and going after it with a dremel cutoff wheel or scroll saw. The nacelles do not require the tabs with the mount holes unless you are mounting motors in them.

I am getting closer to having the files done for 3d printing. I need to print and test the latest draft for rigidity. I am doing this as more of a learning thing for me. A project to get some practice in with fusion 360, and get a feel for different printing materials. So it is taking a little time.

w1lp33

Nothing wrong with taking the pattern, sticking it to plywood, and going after it with a dremel cutoff wheel or scroll saw. The nacelles do not require the tabs with the mount holes unless you are mounting motors in them.

I am getting closer to having the files done for 3d printing. I need to print and test the latest draft for rigidity. I am doing this as more of a learning thing for me. A project to get some practice in with fusion 360, and get a feel for different printing materials. So it is taking a little time.

You're doing the lords work. I'm just waiting on those duct stls to finish my a10 :) Thanks for putting the effort in, I don't know shit about 3d modelling...

mrjdstewart

Legendary member

care to share a little more info on how and what you are doing to get from the .pdf plans to an .stl file?

i was about to just start measuring and build a replica in tinkercad. if you know an easier way, or already have it built, i'm all about easy. ;)

thanks,

me :cool:

kilroy07

Legendary member
if you know an easier way
You can use inkscape to convert the plan PDFs into a DXF file.
Then most CAD programs now will let you open that and "extrude" that 2D shape into a 3D object then export it to an STL.

I've been finding the orientation of the print really affects build strength, but if you are printing them flat on the build surface that "should" be the best orientation...

I have specifically NOT looked at the A-10 plans until I get at least a DENT in my current build list!!! (I know myself better) :ROFLMAO:

Headbang

Master member
And hopefully they're split into sections that can print on a 200x200 bed :)
I will check to make sure, I believe when I first started 200mm bed was the goal.
What kilroy said. Inkscape to dxf, import dxf to fusion 360, close the gaps, rework it a bit. I want to split it into halfs, with a centre piece. Next test print is 5mm thick, but 36hrs till the printer is available (running 4 pieces of an mpcnc machine right now).
I will post what I have tomorrow, untested, but should be workable for the impatient lol.

Headbang

Master member
You can use inkscape to convert the plan PDFs into a DXF file.
Then most CAD programs now will let you open that and "extrude" that 2D shape into a 3D object then export it to an STL.

I've been finding the orientation of the print really affects build strength, but if you are printing them flat on the build surface that "should" be the best orientation...

I have specifically NOT looked at the A-10 plans until I get at least a DENT in my current build list!!! (I know myself better) :ROFLMAO:
Funny part is, I have no intention of building one of these right away for the same reason. Have a nnKi-61 half done, a modified 3D seaduck in the works, a modified 3d Otter in the works, a 60cc pitts model 12 to build, a major repair on a 60cc ARS 300, repair on a Beast 60e, an escapade to recover and finish, and an FT edge to finish for a buddy! All by April!

w1lp33

I will check to make sure, I believe when I first started 200mm bed was the goal.
What kilroy said. Inkscape to dxf, import dxf to fusion 360, close the gaps, rework it a bit. I want to split it into halfs, with a centre piece. Next test print is 5mm thick, but 36hrs till the printer is available (running 4 pieces of an mpcnc machine right now).
I will post what I have tomorrow, untested, but should be workable for the impatient lol.

That's definitely me! Plus I can post my results for all of you as well. I can probably have it printed by tomorrow night if all goes well :)

Luckily all my projects were wrapped up when these plans came out, tho I still have the L39 Albatross, FT Legacy and another mini Mustang to get started on :)