Staff member
Admin
Mentor
FT A-10 Warthog

Designed By: Josh Bixler & Andres Lu
Plans By: Dan Sponholz

FT_A-10_Warthog_Forums.png

Description:
The Flite Test A-10 Warthog is one of the largest and most complete Flite Test kits available. This kit includes all of the lasers cut components, including the firewalls, hardware, pushrods, duct formers, landing gear, and wheels. With a wingspan of over 60 inches, this plane really carries itself well through the sky!​
Although this aircraft is big, it is not a complicated build. It is cut out of eleven sheets of foam that fold and bend to creating an extremely rewarding build process. Producing this kit is a labor of love with almost an hour and a half of laser cutting time.​
This aircraft has great flight characteristics in the wind and calm weather alike. When you put a 4 cell battery on this aircraft it is fully aerobatic and you get the perfect pairing of speed and efficiency. The flight characteristics of this A-10 are like none other on the market at this size. It performs like a real A-10 with vertical lines and incredible performance at both high and low speeds, and with the included landing gear set, you can easily land and take off of short grass.​
The FT Warthog is a direct result of the Giant A-10 vs Tank episode! With such an incredible response to that project and particularly the aircraft build, Flite Test wanted to make it accessible while still maintaining a substantial size and presence in the air. Although this is a smaller version of the giant A-10 featured in the video, it is definitely an advanced build, but once it is completed you will find that it has some trainer like tendencies.​

Speed Build Kit:

Power Pack Compatibility:

Specs:
Wingspan: 60.5 Inches (1537mm)​
Center of Gravity: 2.5 Inches (64mm) back from the leading edge​
Control Surface Throws: 16°​
Expo Suggestions: 30%​

Free Plans: FT A-10 Warthog Free Plans

Videos:

Last edited:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
really wish they hadn't put the wing pods on it and instead had figured out how to do it using the real pods on the back. i think i will be skipping this one for that reason alone. really want to build the "big" one using the 4 motors like in the video. i think it can be done and will make the plane actually look like an A-10. here in Tucson, the "home" of the A-10 i would be laughed at if i showed up with a warthog with wing pods.

just saying.

me :cool:

Last edited:

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
really wish they hadn't put the wing pods on it and instead had figured out how to do it using the real pods on the back. i think i will be skipping this one for that reason alone. really want to build the "big" one using the 4 motors like in the video. i think it can be done and will make the plane actually look like an A-10. here in Tucson, the "home" of the A-10 i would be laughed at if i should up with a warthog with wing pods.

just saying.

me :cool:

It is worth noting that the real A-10 does have those wing pods. They're for the main landing gear assembly and not the motors, but they're stand off scale.

basslord1124

Master member
Yeah I'm not a big fan of the wing pods either. It'll be interesting if any in the community gets a wild hair to try make it work with the actual propulsion through the back ducts...whether by EDF or the "poor man's EDF". :) Or wait to see what Josh and FT releases for it in the future from what @SP0NZ quoted.

jpot1

Elite member
I don’t mind the look of the pods - just curious if they will take a swappable power pod, perhaps just shortened?

Bob A

This is definitely one plane I've been waiting for BUT it is available in "limited quantities" and my income is available in "limited quantities" also and only once a month, the first of the month, not the end of the month. Release date was not well thought out in IMHO, needed to look for a date closer to a normal payday.

Bob

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I think with 4 2205s on 4S you could very easily put them in the nacelles. Racekraft 5051s should have more than enough oompf to make it fly great.

basslord1124

Master member
I just did a little look and I was noticing that Tower Hobbies sells an FMS A-10 with almost the same wingspan. Estimated flying weight is around 144 oz or 9lbs! :eek: Not sure how the FT A-10 compares in terms of weight, but the it looks like (and correct me if I'm wrong), but the FMS uses 2 EDF units in each motor pod. Also runs 2 70A ESCs and running up to 6S. That's one powerful hog! Horizon Hobby sells it too:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/a-10-thunderbolt-ii-pnp--edf-70mm-fans-p-fmm094p

Just thought I'd share since both are close in size and it may give a decent basis the for power needed.

jaredstrees

I was more excited about this when I thought it would be EDF or prop. Just can't bring myself to build a propped A-10. Looks like I'll wait or build the nerdnic A-10. Seems I've got a bunch on my plate anyway, and while the A-10 is one of my favorites, this one may have to go on the back burner.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I just did a little look and I was noticing that Tower Hobbies sells an FMS A-10 with almost the same wingspan. Estimated flying weight is around 144 oz or 9lbs! :eek: Not sure how the FT A-10 compares in terms of weight, but the it looks like (and correct me if I'm wrong), but the FMS uses 2 EDF units in each motor pod. Also runs 2 70A ESCs and running up to 6S. That's one powerful hog! Horizon Hobby sells it too:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/a-10-thunderbolt-ii-pnp--edf-70mm-fans-p-fmm094p

Just thought I'd share since both are close in size and it may give a decent basis the for power needed.

The FMS A-10 is a single 70mm per pod, it's also MUCH heavier than the FT A-10 due to is mostly being solid molded EPO instead of formed flat sheets. The FT A-10 does have mounting points for motors in the pods, so I'd assume that you could use 4 quad motors on 4s to give yourself scale performance while keeping the motors hidden.

Bob A

The FMS A-10 has a wing span sligntly less that the FT-10 at 5.1' with a max flight time of 4 minutes. It IS a beautiful planeat FIVE TIMES + the price! For those of youwho have the money, go for it, for those of us who would rather support FT AND enjoy flying a reasonable replica of the A-10,, lets support Flite Test and realize the addition of either EDF's OR motors in the pods at a later date will be an option of the then owners of A-10's. Newer versions of A-10 MIGHT have the option of either props, motors in the pods or both.

Come on, lets enjoy this hobby, emphasis on HOBBY.

Bob