*Unofficial* FT A-10 Warthog

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Alright I want to chime in here. First off anyone can have this plane for under 15 bucks. It will require 11 sheets of foam. So if you have tax added in your under 15 bucks.
Second it seems as though some have forgotten that the plans are free. Regardless how long Bixler takes to develop a plane you're getting it for FREE. Not a sound business plan by any means but the FT family makes it work. Complaining about the cost seems petty to me.
Third.... this was designed to use what most FT fans have in their parts bin for electronics. I don't know too many people who don't have spare motors, servos, receivers and misc wiring laying around. To go along with that is the batteries. Most of us have 2200 3s batteries so another reason the kit was probably designed with the C pack to start with. I know I have every single piece of electronics needed for this build sitting in a box, my mystery box of goodies.
If you do not like the prop idea, fine, just don't sound ungrateful. A bunch of people put a lot of work into this plane and all they see on the first page of this thread is people complaining and criticizing things. I'm sorry if this comes off as rude but I took offense to how things were going in this thread. I've had the opportunity to hang out with the FT gang outside of Flite Fest and these guys pour their hearts and souls into each and every project they do. Not every plane we fly is to scale, so if they change things up a little in order to make it fly I dont see the problem.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Alright I want to chime in here. First off anyone can have this plane for under 15 bucks. It will require 11 sheets of foam. So if you have tax added in your under 15 bucks.
Second it seems as though some have forgotten that the plans are free. Regardless how long Bixler takes to develop a plane you're getting it for FREE. Not a sound business plan by any means but the FT family makes it work. Complaining about the cost seems petty to me.
Third.... this was designed to use what most FT fans have in their parts bin for electronics. I don't know too many people who don't have spare motors, servos, receivers and misc wiring laying around. To go along with that is the batteries. Most of us have 2200 3s batteries so another reason the kit was probably designed with the C pack to start with. I know I have every single piece of electronics needed for this build sitting in a box, my mystery box of goodies.
If you do not like the prop idea, fine, just don't sound ungrateful. A bunch of people put a lot of work into this plane and all they see on the first page of this thread is people complaining and criticizing things. I'm sorry if this comes off as rude but I took offense to how things were going in this thread. I've had the opportunity to hang out with the FT gang outside of Flite Fest and these guys pour their hearts and souls into each and every project they do. Not every plane we fly is to scale, so if they change things up a little in order to make it fly I dont see the problem.

Not sure that I see anyone on this thread being "ungrateful"; just people voicing their opinions (what they like or don't like about this model)….and respectfully I might add. I think your post might be a bit of an overreaction.

Last edited:

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
and respectfully I might add. I think your post might be a bit of an overreaction.

At times I tend to "wear my heart out on my sleeve", I believe is the phrase I want to use. It's not just this thread, or posts and comments in the fb fan group that have made my last post come to light. It is all of it. I occasionally have been given the pleasure of hearing about some of the customer support emails and you would not believe the level of, I don't want to use entitlement but it's the only thing that pops into my head, some people have. Some outright demand things that are not the responsibility of FT. Others are downright rude when simple explanations would solve any normal person's problems, but not their's. To me, the more a company is involved with it's client base, like Flite Test is, the more I see people expecting them to cater to the individual and not the group. Either I miss it in other company's product reviews or I don't follow the products or companies that get the comments or reviews based on an individual's wants.
Then again maybe I'm not explaining things properly. Who knows anymore.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Plans yet? How about now? Lol

Mpcnc is just sitting there waiting to cut!

I know you are all anxiously awaiting the release of the free plans. It will be a few more days before they are done. I'm working my way through the build video to make sure the plans match the build process. This is the biggest most complex plan set I've done for Flite Test. I want to make sure I get it right so that everyone can have an enjoyable build process. Thank you in advance for your patience.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
I know you are all anxiously awaiting the release of the free plans. It will be a few more days before they are done. I'm working my way through the build video to make sure the plans match the build process. This is the biggest most complex plan set I've done for Flite Test. I want to make sure I get it right so that everyone can have an enjoyable build process. Thank you in advance for your patience.
Sponz,
As always, we really appreciate the time and effort you put into this. You are a perfect example of what's great about the FT community. Thanks again.

JTarmstr

Elite member
Warthog plans coming in hot! Putting on the final touches and should be posting them later tonight.

Yes! cant wait to see what they look like, I cant believe I am this excited for a set of plans I wont be able to use for several months :).

Btw @SP0NZ Do you know how to change the name above your Mentor tag? I wanted to ask but I dont think it was worth starting a thread.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
...Btw @SP0NZ Do you know how to change the name above your Mentor tag? I wanted to ask but I dont think it was worth starting a thread.

It's an easy three step process...

1549374099784.png

Last edited:

jpot1

Elite member
For those scratch building any thoughts on how to do the nacelle pieces. No access to a scroll saw and cutting those curves by hand is not happening. For strength I was thinking of doing some score cuts and running some gorilla glue like what @DamoRC does on his builds. Downside is I’d lose some of the smooth curves but upside on strength with very little weight. Similar question on how to attach to the fuse? Perhaps some doubled up foam with a skewer embedded?

w1lp33

For those scratch building any thoughts on how to do the nacelle pieces. No access to a scroll saw and cutting those curves by hand is not happening. For strength I was thinking of doing some score cuts and running some gorilla glue like what @DamoRC does on his builds. Downside is I’d lose some of the smooth curves but upside on strength with very little weight. Similar question on how to attach to the fuse? Perhaps some doubled up foam with a skewer embedded?

Mayne see if your local library has a makerspace with a laser cutter? That's what I do :)

Headbang

Master member
Plans almost ready for cutting. Still re-arranging to get the grain in the right direction and keep the sheet count down.
Thinking about edfs. Might need to build one first, see how it lands and test ways to strengthen mounts.
I think these are the most informitave plans to date, I like the little build notes!

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Man this is tempting to build, only I don't have the motors for it, or the space to easily store it, but I bet I could find the space ;).

EDIT: it just got even more tempting, it only has 36 pieces to cut out (if I counted right) while the ft edge (which I have built) requires 40 pieces, 50 if you do the wheels and wheel pants (I didn't).

Last edited:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor

You could do the score cut glue "thang" or you could also try to cut the ply parts from a double layer (gorilla glue laminated) foamboard. These are just empty nacelles, right? So not a huge amount of weight to support. But the score cut / glue / bbq skewer will work I think.

Dreamwalker

Less than 250 Grams!
How about making a smaller inner nacelle tube using the score-and-glue method, then wrapping/gluing the kit nacelle onto it. Use what ever method you like to attach it to the fuse. That is what I will do on mine. :)

Cheers!

Tom G.

Headbang

Master member
In a few days I will have the models done for 3d printing all the ply parts. Got a good start on them today. Larger parts should be in 3 pieces that need to be glued together (huge overlaps, while center and arms will be like a doubler). At this point you will need a 200mm print bed, but might be able to knock it back to 180mm

w1lp33

In a few days I will have the models done for 3d printing all the ply parts. Got a good start on them today. Larger parts should be in 3 pieces that need to be glued together (huge overlaps, while center and arms will be like a doubler). At this point you will need a 200mm print bed, but might be able to knock it back to 180mm

Ha, I was jus tgonna ask how long it would be before someone posted .stl's for the ply parts :) Thanks!

The pdf is a vector file, I dont think it would be hard to make an stl in a cad program. I dont have a 3d printer, so Im not 100% sure but I do have a cnc router and I have loaded a couple planes to make for myself.