*Unofficial* FT A-10 Warthog

L Edge

Master member
If you use the bottom of the wing to be level as the reference, do you have an angle of incidence of the fan housing? Is it positive or negative?

Will have to add pictures later, but currently printing the plywood pieces as we speak, found some decent priced Eflite viper jet retracts (Should work) , Will power it with twin Cs on 8x4x3 props on 4S (Hopefully, I haven't done voltage tests yet or thrust tests yet). My goal is to set it up as a Pusher behind the turbo fans a la master series. Currently seeing if I can get your ducts to work for them that way. If the twin Cs do not produce enough thrust, I will try to power with something that can run 6s. Kinda worried about weight, but won't have an Idea until I start building.

Gotta get through my X-29 Rebuild, and the F16-MJ Build on the bench first,

And so the fun begins.

Attachments

• 20220416_211900.jpg
    20220416_211900.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
How is your A-10 coming? I have flown mine a few times, but thing I am a bit tail heavy. Will try again this week.
Good, Fuse, Wings, and Nacelles are done, just not put together. I have figured out how to mount the Motors aft of the Nacelles. and how to make the split brakes and flaps, It's just been to Hot here to want to sweat in my garage, and finish it. Probably have a day left worth of work.

Garage is insulated some what, and the little unit we have in it can't get it below 88 degrees until 9PM.

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
I have mine like 85-90% finished, just haven't been finding the time to work on it recently. And I am in a similar state as RK59 with the temps in my garage/workshop.

Sadly I had it hanging from the wing rubberbands and they decided to snap last week. surprisingly little damage considering my garage ceiling is 12ft and it stays right up against the ceiling. The canopy rails and HUD did break though, but I should be able to reprint those parts and glue them on. I need to get the nose gear figured out, that's pretty much the last thing before a maiden flight....

L Edge

Master member
After getting my SR-71 with 5 bladed 64 EDF's to fly, the next tackle was with the A-10. I built Mikey's A-10 years ago and gut feeling says it wasn't going to fly. So after my problems with the SR-71, took another look at the A-10 with 5bladed 64 EDf's(same one I used on the 71), and after 3 minor crashes, hit success. So now I have one short flight under me.

Same gusty and windy day I launched my Firebird design, went with the A-10 for a maiden. Watch the raw video, turn the volume up and watch the short flight. I had a crosswind and the gusts flipped it around and running out of room to fly, gently reduced throttle and had control when it landed.

Will see shortly is it solves the problem with 64 EDF's.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
After getting my SR-71 with 5 bladed 64 EDF's to fly, the next tackle was with the A-10. I built Mikey's A-10 years ago and gut feeling says it wasn't going to fly. So after my problems with the SR-71, took another look at the A-10 with 5bladed 64 EDf's(same one I used on the 71), and after 3 minor crashes, hit success. So now I have one short flight under me.

Same gusty and windy day I launched my Firebird design, went with the A-10 for a maiden. Watch the raw video, turn the volume up and watch the short flight. I had a crosswind and the gusts flipped it around and running out of room to fly, gently reduced throttle and had control when it landed.

Will see shortly is it solves the problem with 64 EDF's.
Looks like it’s aft CG.

Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
If I move the battery, it is like a Venn diagram. It is going to cause new sets of problems. I used the high wind on my first shot to get it launched.
Next time, I will just have to chuck it and see. The 5 bladed EDF doesn't produce excessive thrust(A-10's should have 70 size) and if you noticed, the area is totally surrounded by 125 ft trees and only 350 by 400 feet. The CG I set up is at 25% of the wing so I really don't know what is going to happen. Quick decisions will have to be made. Glad I have my version of differential thrust to help it turn.

Watch the flight of the SR-71 and how close it can get to getting in trouble with the trees. I had to modify it in two areas to get it to go. Also, it takes a different way of flying it to prevent any disasters. I have a thead on site for the SR-71 here. With simple flat foam it is, as usual, ugly, I usually don't both with painting and final looks, heck the fun is getting it going. Need to prove what I did on the A-10 works before I explain what I did. Other then the nose, Mikey's A-10 looks close enough to FT version. Time to get to EDF's in the A-10.

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
What about the front one
I honestly haven't lowered this plane down from my garage ceiling for months, I planned to test the plane with a static nose gear and then figure it out later. But I haven't gotten to the flying part yet, just haven't been as interested in finding time to get out to fly sadly.

L Edge

Master member
Got two flights today on A-10. It is very touchy with controls. Reduced throws some on second flight and dropped it so not to hit light.

Third flightIi made it once around field(darn thig is fast) and controls are touchy . Reduced it by half and ended up finding rudder was pulling it to the left. Elevator still has still way too much deflection. Field is very tight to even set up for trims. Will post video as soon as I can get it up.

luvmy40

Elite member
Got two flights today on A-10. It is very touchy with controls. Reduced throws some on second flight and dropped it so not to hit light.

Third flightIi made it once around field(darn thig is fast) and controls are touchy . Reduced it by half and ended up finding rudder was pulling it to the left. Elevator still has still way too much deflection. Field is very tight to even set up for trims. Will post video as soon as I can get it up.
I didn't check back in the thread, but are you flying the larger MS A10 or one of the smaller versions?

L Edge

Master member
Here is the 2nd and 3rd flight of the A-10.

Had some luck and just missed the night light in the field(4 sec flight). The third flight was a very quick once around the field. Ran video speed at .25 and it gave me three factors to resolving on what to adjust. If it makes it, solving the problems this A-10 is going to be one mean machine. I have only 5 bladed 64 EDF's,

L Edge

Master member
I didn't check back in the thread, but are you flying the larger MS A10 or one of the smaller versions?

No, Mikey's A-10. Same problems exist with both models. I hope I can resolve the issues that plague it from using EDF's.

L Edge

Master member
Found some problems dealing with the unequal thrust. Decided to try and see what happens. Some improvement and got away keep it low and bring it back to earth without any damage.

Go to 18 sec for start of short run.

L Edge

Master member
Beside (maybe) your excesive throw on the controls, are you sure it's not tail heavy?

The CG is now located at 25% wing. (I moved it forward and backward and no luck). Had the same type of problem with the 64 mm SR-71 which I solved. Yes, I have high rates to save my plane, if you notice the first video, I made it around the field and it smooth out for the landing pulling to the left. Has to be something else.

So I am exploring further until it flies right or bites the dirt.